Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Why I Like the Holiness People

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Why I Like the Holiness People

[b][size=x-small]Why I Like the Holiness People[/size][/b]

[b]by Rev. John B. Culpepper[/b]

I like their aim. They aim high. If they miss, nevertheless, they have scored one good point.
They are uncompromising.
They are against sin and wrong, including Sunday trains, secular newspapers, Sunday cooking, Sunday gossip, tobacco, and other uncleanness.
They are Prohibitionists, almost to a man.
They are agitators.
They make and distribute tracts.
They circulate books.
They have a catching sort of degree of spirituality.
They are in for everything that is good.
They say amen out loud.
They shout as I feel.
They [root] for a fellow while he is preaching.
If the load is heavy, they all jump out and push.
Wherever you meet one, he is already organized and ready for work.
If they are scared, they pray and shout, and work and move, so that it can't be detected.
They always want to dig deeper, climb higher and know and do more.
They are long-winded in the closet, and nearly out of breath in a testimony service.
Every one of them will pray if you call on them, and if the fuse seems damp, they will pray, call or no call.
They are God's globe-trotters.
They don't ask how many are the enemy, but where are they?
They can shout in the cemetery.
They actually use the Bible in their work.
They will go to China or Africa as cheerfully as to the market.
It is not a money question with them.
They know the Holy Spirit.
They love you hard.
Their experience throws up a highway I'd like to die on.
They've come to stay.
They are unpopular with dirt, dignity, and the devil.
They are not in ruts.
They cry and run as if they had jumped the fox. That makes me spur on in the chase.
Whenever I meet or hear one of them, it makes me want to quit something, or do something, or go somewhere, or be somebody.
They are my kinsfolk.

—Holiness Advocate, Fayetteville, N.C., Aug. 15, 1903.

From:[url=http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/2004/002/1.02.html]http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/2004/002/1.02.html[/url]

2004/5/22 8:32Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Why I Like the Holiness People

Even though I think some in the holiness movement tend to be legalistic, at least they are setting a standard and showing where they draw the line in the sand.

2004/5/22 8:57Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

I agree with that. I think I just liked the 'tone' of this, primarily:

Quote:
Whenever I meet or hear one of them, it makes me want to quit something, or do something, or go somewhere, or be somebody

2004/5/22 9:23Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Whenever I meet or hear one of them, it makes me want to quit something, or do something, or go somewhere, or be somebody

Thanks Mike for starting this thread, it has been on my mind alot. I really have had alot of experiences of hearing holiness preachers in the last few months, its something I really never knew I was exposed to. People like Duncan Campbell, Leonard Ravenhill, Keith Daniel, etc. Its quite queer that we have a denomination or movement named after holiness, shouldn't we ALL be Holy? if we have the Holy Spirit? I think we all can learn many lessons from these men that strive and aim high, for perfection actually (its biblical) ;-)

I am thinking of some quotes by Leonard Ravenhill from the Revival Hymn that I re-listened to last night:

"As dear Dr. Tozer used to say "Len, you knew one thing about a man that was carrying a cross out of the city, you knew he wasn't coming back." We just come from an altar and we go back the next week and we're as fascinated, we haven't spent a half hour with Jesus but will stay two stinking hours in a movie house. And Paul says that's what the world is to me it's a system of corruption and rottenness and vileness. It's anti-Christ from the word go. Is the [b]world crucified to you[/b] tonight? Or [i]does it fascinate you[/i]?

"We are still paddling on the edge of the ocean of the possibilities of grace. Put a holy dissatisfaction in us tonight."

2004/5/22 12:46Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: Why I Like the Holiness People

Ah, Holiness, a sweet doctrine, nourishment to my soul.

The people have a special place in my heart as well, some of the best Brothers and Sisters I know. They'll preach against sin, hard, and you need exhorting they'll give it to you, but they'll turn around and lay their lives down for you if it's in God's will, and love you about as well as one could expect.

The movement has its problems, one of them being a fit of God-convicted-me-personally-on-this-so-it-must-be-a-general-command-for-everyone, mostly in the 2nd/3rd generation. A particularly tragic instance was the splitting of an entire movement (that God had used powerfully not much earlier) over whether it was right to wear a tie or not; the people for ties eventually went liberal, and the others have managed to recover from the legalistic spirit but have a lot of struggles
(low numbers, for instance, as well as creeping traditionalism and lack of vision).

Jude wrote his letter 30-40 years after Pentecost, if I recall correctly, it's not surprising that the Holiness/Pentacostal Holiness movements ran into such problems about that long after they got started.

Now God is looking to and fro for the next group that will stand for Him without reservation.

2004/5/22 12:56Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

It is interesting brother. I may be particularly blessed in that I don't have a thorough knowledge of what particular 'movements', denominations or whatever titles or 'names' are applied to much of this.

Quote:
I really have had alot of experiences of hearing holiness preachers in the last few months, its something I really never knew I was exposed to. People like Duncan Campbell, Leonard Ravenhill, Keith Daniel, etc. Its quite queer that we have a denomination or movement named after holiness, shouldn't we ALL be Holy? if we have the Holy Spirit? I think we all can learn many lessons from these men that strive and aim high, for perfection actually (its biblical)

I love it, here I thought you had all this figured out! :-) You said it well: [i]"shouldn't we ALL be Holy?"[/i] Exactly. That's why it doesn't matter all that much to me in regards to secondary issues, only that we can become more Christlike and I am drawn to anyone who exhibits this in their life no matter what man made 'title' they want to slap on it.

Hopefully I will remain blissfully ignorant of all the denominational schisms and [i]endless genealogy[/i] like baggage that only steers away from the 'Prime Product' to quote Brother Reidhead.

Yeah, ignorance [i]is[/i] bliss!

2004/5/22 13:04Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Keith,

First off, really appreciate your thoughts and comments all throughout this forum. You are a blessing brother, been meaning to say so...

Quote:
The movement has its problems, one of them being a fit of God-convicted-me-personally-on-this-so-it-must-be-a-general-command-for-everyone, mostly in the 2nd/3rd generation. A particularly tragic instance was the splitting of an entire movement (that God had used powerfully not much earlier) over whether it was right to wear a tie or not; the people for ties eventually went liberal, and the others have managed to recover from the legalistic spirit but have a lot of struggles

Indeed, didn't want to imply that I was [i]completely[/i] ignorant of these things. Seems that from what I have gleaned so far that many 'movements' have started out with the greatest of intentions, purpose and power. Anabaptists, Quakers right on down the line, seems to be almost a predictable pattern. As you stated, even farther back than that:
Quote:
Jude wrote his letter 30-40 years after Pentecost, if I recall correctly, it's not surprising that the Holiness/Pentacostal Holiness movements ran into such problems about that long after they got started.

Guess it goes to show how, given enough time we can and will mess up everything we can get our hands on.
Quote:
Now God is looking to and fro for the next group that will stand for Him without reservation

Maybe the next one will be a 'best of' or as has been stated here so eloquently; 'Normal Christianity'

Think we have a good start with what is available here throughout this site.

2004/5/22 13:35Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
It is interesting brother. I may be particularly blessed in that I don't have a thorough knowledge of what particular 'movements', denominations or whatever titles or 'names' are applied to much of this.

Quote:
I really have had alot of experiences of hearing holiness preachers in the last few months, its something I really never knew I was exposed to. People like Duncan Campbell, Leonard Ravenhill, Keith Daniel, etc. Its quite queer that we have a denomination or movement named after holiness, shouldn't we ALL be Holy? if we have the Holy Spirit? I think we all can learn many lessons from these men that strive and aim high, for perfection actually (its biblical)

I love it, here I thought you had all this figured out! :-) You said it well: [i]"shouldn't we ALL be Holy?"[/i] Exactly. That's why it doesn't matter all that much to me in regards to secondary issues, only that we can become more Christlike and I am drawn to anyone who exhibits this in their life no matter what man made 'title' they want to slap on it.

Hopefully I will remain blissfully ignorant of all the denominational schisms and [i]endless genealogy[/i] like baggage that only steers away from the 'Prime Product' to quote Brother Reidhead.

Yeah, ignorance [i]is[/i] bliss!

Well said guys!!!!

2004/5/22 17:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This seemed to fit somewhat into the flow of things here (in a general sense):

Christian Quotation of the Day

Wherever riches have increased, the essence of religion has decreased in the same proportion. Therefore I do not see how it is possible in the nature of things for any revival of religion to continue long. For religion must necessarily produce both industry and frugality, and these cannot but produce riches. But as riches increase, so will pride, anger, and love of the world in all its branches. How then is it possible that Methodism, that is a religion of the heart, though it flourishes now as the green bay tree, should continue in this state? For the Methodists in every place grow diligent and
frugal; consequently, they increase in goods. Hence, they proportionately increase in pride, in anger, in the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eyes, and the pride of life. So, although the form of religion remains, the spirit is swiftly vanishing away. Is there no way to prevent... this continual decay of pure religion?

... John Wesley (1703-1791)

http://www.cqod.org/

2004/5/24 9:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy