SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Definition of "Mysticism"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
servant_andy

Definition of "Mysticism"

Definition of "Mysticism":

Mysticism looks for truth within. You come to know God through your subjective experiences rather than His objective revelation. This is what I feel is true.

The Scriptures are objective truth. They stand unchanging.

My feelings change. My personal convictions have been altered. But the Word of God does not change.

2004/5/21 1:53Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Definition of "Mysticism"

Andy wrote:

Quote:
You come to know God through your subjective experiences rather than His objective revelation.

I believe the Holy Scriptures as you say is God's written word. It cannot change. The Word is the revelation of God. Therefore it does not change God.

The Holy Spirit enables us to posses His revelation to us. The word written on paper can be read by the natural man but only understood by the spiritual man.

Our experience therefore is not subjective, but is made real by the power of Jesus Christ revealing Himself to us.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/5/21 11:46Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi servant_andy,

My question is:

Is it not possible to hold a form of Christian mysticism where we know God through our subjective experiences [i]in light of[/i] the objective revelation of God?

I do not question the primacy of the objective truth of God over the subjective. But can we really say we [i]know[/i] God when we simply have the doctrine but not the experience? Must Christian mysticism be defined by an [i]either-or[/i] logic?

I appreciate Jeff's (rookie) comment, "made real by the power of Jesus Christ revealing himself to us." Jesus, the Logos, the Truth, is made real in our experiences. There is an experiential side to the Truth.

Sam

2004/5/21 12:00Profile
dougkristen

Quote:

servant_andy wrote:

You come to know God through your subjective experiences rather than His objective revelation. This is what I feel is true.

The Scriptures are objective truth. They stand unchanging.

My curiousity is what are these "subjective experiences" you are referring to. Many "men of God" have had these experiences and started new Christian religions and many other people have been led astray from the Truth of God's word.

Grace,
Doug

2004/5/24 15:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy