SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Motive and Repentance

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
dougkristen
Member



Joined: 2004/1/28
Posts: 360


 Re:

Quote:


RobertW wrote:

They don't want the flames of hell and they don't want the refining fire of God's Holy Spirit unto holiness.




This is a profound quote: We want to get saved, "Fire insurance", but when God starts to prune and turn up the heat in our lives, we run from it and turn back to sin. Jesus wants us to be a fruitful, pure holy bride.

Grace,
Doug


_________________
a Jesus freak

 2004/5/24 16:50Profile
crsschk
Member



Joined: 2003/6/11
Posts: 9192
Santa Clara, CA

 Re:

Quote:
They don't want the flames of hell and they don't want the refining fire of God's Holy Spirit unto holiness.

Quote:
This is a profound quote: We want to get saved, "Fire insurance", but when God starts to prune and turn up the heat in our lives, we run from it and turn back to sin.



Ever read the fine print of an insurance policy?
It always has a clause about "Act's of God" and they're [i]not[/i] covered...Makes you wonder how many 'fire insurance' policys are really valid.


_________________
Mike Balog

 2004/5/24 21:53Profile
RobertW
Member



Joined: 2004/2/12
Posts: 4636
Independence, Missouri

 Re:

This is it right here:

Quote:
"Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices" (Ezekiel 14:6).

What sins or "idol's" have you turned away from?



There is a message in the download section I ministered on Easter Sunday called "Genuine Repentance" and the congregation was roughly half visitors. Many of these folks once served the Lord (attended Church at least). That message has to be one of the strongest messages I have evey taught. I was talking to my wife this morning how I was aware of none of those folks turning at that message to follow Christ. I am stunned by the GRIP that sin has on people. Their sins are truly IDOLS. The people LOVE their sins. They are lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God and when that happens PLEASURES become idols.

A wierd thing came out of my mouth as we talked; I said "It will not be long until the only people who will be able to PREACH will be PROPHETS." I had not been thinking that. The PROPHETS will keep preaching when they see NO results. Think about the people in their wickedness being so vile that a regular preacher will not have the fortitude to preach the truth. God would have to send in people who occupy the OFFICE of Prophet just to get the genuine Gospel preached. In the Martyr's Hymn one of the speakers says that persecution will be coming because the Gospel will become increasingly biblical- and like the disciples of old- there again will be great resistance to the message.

God Bless,

-Robert


_________________
Robert Wurtz II

 2004/5/25 8:05Profile
crsschk
Member



Joined: 2003/6/11
Posts: 9192
Santa Clara, CA

 Re:

Quote:
There is a message in the download section I ministered on Easter Sunday called "Genuine Repentance" and the congregation was roughly half visitors. Many of these folks once served the Lord (attended Church at least). That message has to be one of the strongest messages I have ever taught. I was talking to my wife this morning how I was aware of none of those folks turning at that message to follow Christ.[b] I am stunned by the GRIP that sin has on people. Their sins are truly IDOLS. The people LOVE their sins.[/b] They are lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God and when that happens PLEASURES become idols.


That's what is so troubling and why it seems that only a major catastrophe will be enough to shake them out of the slumber, worse, even that may not persuade them. 911 being the great example, business as usual. There is a resistant stubbornness that I see in some that I know that are supposed to be saved. A large part of it I am convinced is due to this damnable heresy of making the gospel of no offense, of letting sinners be comfortable in their sins and by short changing the scriptures by either stopping short or wrenching them out of their context. A prime example that had me practically screaming at my radio the other day was the classic: [i]Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus*[/i] and I am yelling 'Don't stop there! Finish the verse's! Give the context!' and then they jump right on to the next happy phrase that is linked together to make everything palatable. The reason I bring this one up in particular is because it is so often used as some kind of justification as is "we are under grace, not the law". So sick of this manipulation.

(* who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.)I know there is some question on this being placed here (not in the earliest manuscripts) but it is in verse 4 and is part of the [i]context[/i]

[i]Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.[/i]

Quote:
A weird thing came out of my mouth as we talked; I said "It will not be long until the only people who will be able to PREACH will be PROPHETS." I had not been thinking that. The PROPHETS will keep preaching when they see NO results. Think about the people in their wickedness being so vile that a regular preacher will not have the fortitude to preach the truth.


Aren't we already there? Aren't we already overrun with heaps of 'itching ears' preaching?
Seems we have the opposite problem of Jonah, he didn't [i]want[/i] Nineveh to repent but to see them destroyed. We want to see them repent and the response is 'no thanks' we are quite content just the way we are, tell us something 'nice'...

I digress, surely there will be some who have their hearts cut, maybe the expectations are just that it will be 'few' that enter in...

I don't know, off on a little tangent this morning, hope it is in the right spirit. Not only those outside the camp, but those that are 'in'. There is a great concern that I have that one of the largest missionary fields we have is to those that have been 'sold' a false gospel. I believe it is part of my reluctance to go out
'evangelizing', to where I am to steer them? Certainly know where to steer them away from...Don't get me wrong, I guess it is just a burden I have to attempt to 'fix' things, it is kind of my nature and also what I do for a living (remodel/handyman)I believe the Lord allowed me to go through a lot of the nonsense of this 'modern' gospel to be able to help others.
But there is a huge remodeling project that needs to be done in the church and it is why I am so thankful for this site, it's my Home Depot for the soul and why I unashamedly promote it to all who want to renovate His church.


_________________
Mike Balog

 2004/5/25 10:54Profile
Gideons
Member



Joined: 2003/9/16
Posts: 474
Virginia

 Re: Aren't we already there

Quote:
A weird thing came out of my mouth as we talked; I said "It will not be long until the only people who will be able to PREACH will be PROPHETS." I had not been thinking that. The PROPHETS will keep preaching when they see NO results. Think about the people in their wickedness being so vile that a regular preacher will not have the fortitude to preach the truth.



Brother Robert, I don't think what you said was weird. Surely this is the sad state of most of the "church." Yes, it breaks my heart.

Quote:
Aren't we already there? Aren't we already overrun with heaps of 'itching ears' preaching?

Brother Mike, surely this is true as well. What's in it for me? How will God bless me, my family, blah, blah, blah.... I'm truly sick of it. Did God save me from the fires of hell, so I can have a comfortable life? So I can be blessed? Surely, much of the modern church is so lukewarm, with a veil of humanism.

I spoke to our youth group about the "gift of repentance" which is how I see it, although it's certainly very painful. How much of the "church" is uninterested in exhortation, edification, and encouragement versus entertainment? It truly is heart rendering...


_________________
Ed Pugh

 2004/5/26 17:37Profile





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy