SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is this Pharisaical...abstaining from certain movies and music?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is this Pharisaical...abstaining from certain movies and music?

I read an article on another blog, it was about certain Christians that don't go to movies and listen to popular music are Pharisee's.

We have some friends in our Sunday school that couldn't believe that we didn't see a movie called, "Knocked up and 40 year old Virgin." We never said anything about them going watching those movies and we never stated why we choose not too.

I really make a effort not to watch certain movies, especially if they could cause me to stumble. I never was like this before, I would go and see any movie that came and not think about it, but the past year I felt I should abstain from certain movies that are not edifying.

Now would this be a Pharisee? Should we make a disciplined effort to not watch certain movies?

2007/10/6 16:22
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Is this Pharisaical...abstaining from certain movies and music?

dont watch.... such movies defile a man. People who want to see such movies really need to check on their relationship with God. Who can know God and go watch such abominations as some movies are? how can we go from the Holy presence of God to the filthy movie house and not be bothered?

tease movies are blasphemy, and even movies labeled "Christian" . There are good movies worth watching and edifying, we need discernment.

2007/10/6 16:30Profile
chaplaintony

check out www.hollywoodandgod.com

2007/10/6 17:15Profile

Re:

This made me think of a recent article by Harold Vaughn on being a Pharisee:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19909&forum=34&3]You Might Be a Pharisee If...[/url]

I highly recommend that article; it is very good.

And this verse came to mind:
[i]James 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and [b]to keep himself unspotted from the world.[/b][/i]

And these verses were in the context of Jesus addressing the Pharisees and their hypocrisy:

[i] 15There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

16If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

17And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.

18And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

19Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

20And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

21For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

22Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

23All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.
Mark 7:15-23
[/i]

We have to go to the Scriptures and let them be our standard. Firstly, to examine what Jesus told the Pharisees and the warnings He gave them, and secondly what is the standard in God's Word for godly living?

Those are a few things to consider...

~Joy :-)

2007/10/6 18:38

Re:

Quote:
And this verse came to mind:
James 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Why don't many Christians do this? Because so many like the world to much?

Ray Comfort has a great video about Hollywood movies. I will find it or if someone knows what am I referring too. He interviews some christians and asks them about taking the Lords name in vain. Its quite good.

2007/10/6 19:42
Isaiah64

Brother, there's nothing pharisaiacal about separating yourself [i]from[/i] the filth of the world and [i]unto[/i] the joy of Almighty God. That's called "holiness," and it's the fruit of a regenerate, Spirit-filled life.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Philippians 4:8

"I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that fall away; it shall not cling to me."
Psalm 101:3

"Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God."
James 4:4

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."
1 John 2:15-16

Another very impacting verse is found in Romans 1:32:
"Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

In Romans 1 Paul sets out to condemn the entire human race, describing in detail the wickedness and perversions of man. Now we get to the last verse, where Paul describes those who are not only wicked themselves, but take pleasure in (another translation says "approve of") those who do these things.
Now think about it--you may not be a murderer, or rapist, or practice fornication or homosexuality, but when you entertain yourself by watching these shameful acts on television or movies you are taking pleasure in (and in effect approving of) them--the very things for which Jesus had to die.
I would have some serious concerns about anyone who can pray, praise, and worship the Lord on sunday and another day laugh about the very things that God hates.

But...sigh...ain't that a normal characteristic of "christianity" today.

Let's continue to pray for a genuine move of God...

Hope this helped, God bless.

...Oh yea, and a very powerful, life-changing sermon that deals with this subject is [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=14249&commentView=itemComments](The Glory of God) in Moral Purity by Paul Washer[/url]. I would definately recommend it.

2007/10/6 21:14Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

I fully agree,,
I finding that their is no shame in our sins?
Is there no weeping over what God hates?

It so we wouldn't even think about seeing 95% of moive we do. My heart is weak with tears of how many sister and brother love these wicked moives. I say WICKED, because sin is sin. Can we make little of Sin Because we enjoy it? Sin Is Sin? Yes a little will make its ways through the whole thing...And sin all the way around is wicked? We have been fooled to enjoy what the satan had given for the world. we are not of the world. I think it is more then time. It is our hearts, for Christ. Our sin that we have made little of. We have been made blind and a sleep. When we start to see the great wickedness of sin, how then can we enjoy seeing it? There is a thing called holiness which many say they want, but few are willing to really die for it. Is their not pride in our hearts when we want our way, more then God way? Do we love the worlds moives? We are very proud people. Who want to throw our moives away? I say are we not to hate what God hates, How then can God love what dishonors him? How can God love sin? But again who wants to be holy? Why would we want to have such evil in our homes? This about the Holy God and his Holiness
and he say Be holy for I am holy.
God said he took us out of the world, not to be part of it. Many are in sin by the moives they see weekly. Is it right to see a sister and brother seeing such things and say nothing?

I think we are to holy fighter for Holiness throwing away with out thought the things God hates. Fleeing from all evil.. are we not?
I think hardest things is taking these things of holiness and applying them to our lives?

in his love
charlene

2007/10/6 23:54Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

In AD 70 when the Temple was destroyed the Pharisee's fled to Yavneh (Jamnia) and started what we know today as Rabbinic Judaism. The main component of a Pharisee is that they make a pretense that they know God and do not [i]know[/i] or [i]want[/i] Him at all. They make clean the outside of the cup- but inwardly they were full of wickedness. They had a 'form' of godliness, but they denied the power thereof. They have said that it is "not in Heaven". This means that they are conducting their religion based on the Book and it's commentaries and need no input from God.

To answer the question directly I would say that just because a person does [i]not[/i] go to movies- it does not mean they are 'holy'. They could still be a Pharisee because they are doing the outward religion- but God is not welcome in their life. They want to come off as pious- but they have told God to get lost by their conduct.

The reason Christians ought not subject themselves to these things is because we have a responsibility to protect our relationship with God from things that would grieve the Holy Spirit and drive God away (See Ezekiel 8). God will not hang around in a filthy heart no matter how much a person prays for forgiveness. We come to God by the blood of Christ- but we do not ask God to apply the blood to areas of our life that we refuse to forsake and are open abomination to Him.

Revival is when God comes. When God comes we have revival. We have to be prepared for God to arrive. We have to forsake things in our lives that drives Him far from us. Not for the sake of looking holy or boasting of our holiness- but that God would come and tabernacle inside of us. That is what makes a Christian a Christian. That is what separates us from the world. Not that we keep a bunch of rules- but that God's presence is upon us. We can keep the rules and make God unwelcome at the same time. This is a Pharisee.

2007/10/7 2:38Profile
theopenlife

Re:

I've been blessed by several of these posts. Here are some more verses that came to me,

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."
2 Corinthians 7:1

"Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good."
Romans 12:9

How can I abhor something that I watch for entertainment's sake? How can I perfect holiness while taking pleasure in what is unholy?

The detail that most appalls me is that movies are not simply fictional fantasy; hundreds of actors and directors, stage crew, etc. really do sin to make that blasphemous scene. They really are cursing on that sound stage. They really are undressing and fornicating, and taking pleasure in depicting brutality. And God really hates it as much now as when they made the movie. He hates it while believers and false converts watch such disgusting garbage. I am ashamed of myself, for what my eyes have seen since I met Christ.

2007/10/7 4:14Profile

Re:

Quote:
o answer the question directly I would say that just because a person does not go to movies- it does not mean they are 'holy'. They could still be a Pharisee because they are doing the outward religion- but God is not welcome in their life. They want to come off as pious- but they have told God to get lost by their conduct.

Yes i do agree with this statement, we are not holy because we don't go to movies. I don't go to the movies much anymore, one reason is that it is to expensive, with two kids and to get a babysitter, then add a movie...EXPENSIVE. Honestly I can say there have been times that I didn't go or want to watch a TV program because I was doing an outward expression to God! What would be worse to GOD that or actually committing some sin? But I do believe now that I should make every effort to stay away from the endulgence of the flesh. Guys lets not kid ourselves, we can be lustful and I don't know about you, but I need to stay away for that sheer reason, not that God is impressed that i don't go and see filth, but I know what I am capable of. I mostly stay away because I am not holier than though, but I know that my eyes and mind can't see many things..
Proverbs 7 talks about the fool and the harlot.

key verse: 8 "Passing through the street [b]near[/b] her house; and he [b]takes the way[/b] to her house."

2007/10/7 17:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy