SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone know a good book on fasting?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Anyone know a good book on fasting?

I was reading the book Repentance by Basilea Schlink over the weekend and got the strong impression that I should not just be praying for repentance and revival, but also fasting... fasting isn't something that is taught about in my church and I don't have very much practical experience in it. I was hoping someone could direct me to a good resource about fasting.

I went to a couple bookstores over the weekend and didn't find anything remotely like a book about fasting except a book on gluttony and then some Christian 'self help' books.

I know that someone will inevitably reply, 'the bible.' I was in the good book last night, I know that it is the most important place to be looking to understand this, but some suplimental literature wouldn't hurt. Thanks!

2007/10/1 12:14Profile
Here4Him

England

Re: Anyone know a good book on fasting?

John Piper has a book on prayer and fasting called 'A hunger for God'.

I have not read it but am sure it will be excellent if its from the pen of Piper!

2007/10/1 12:24Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

I have a couple of books on fasting, I haven't been completely through them, but they are:
[u]God's Chosen Fast by Arthur Wallis.[/u][color=009933]Having proved over many years the great value and blessing of fasting, the author has written this book to share with others what the Bible has to say about this important and neglected subject. His aim has been to furnish a handbook which deals not only with all the main passages in Scripture that touch on the matter, but also with the practical issues involved. This is a balanced study which seeks to give to the subject that weight that Scripture gives it and avoids exaggeration and over-emphasis. The book includes a biblical index, and a appendix dealing with the textual problems surrounding four references to fasting in the New Testament.[/color]
[u]Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough by Elmer L Towns.[/u][color=009933]Most believers know about fasting, but few really understand the wonderful benefits that come when we fast with purpose and direction. Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough gives the why of fasting, rather than just the how. Towns avoids a glut of techniques and schedules; instead he provides a probing look at Isaiah 58, often called "the fasting passage," and introduces nine biblical fasts---each designed for a specific physical and spiritual outcome. Learn how fasting can strengthen your faith and draw you closer to God, helping you to be a true overcomer in Christ.[/color]

2007/10/1 12:33Profile

I have a book here entitled, "The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting" by [url=http://www.maheshchavda.com/]Mahesh Chavda[/url], don't let the author's name frighten you. I will send this book free of charge postage paid to anywhere in North America and Europe. Send me your address via PM.

2007/10/1 12:35
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:

Compliments wrote:
I have a book here entitled, "The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting" by [url=http://www.maheshchavda.com/]Mahesh Chavda[/url],

I have read this book and this is the one I was going to suggest. I believe that Mahesh has done over 30 - 40 day fasts (from all food) and a bunch of other fast ranging from 1-30+ days.

I highly suggest this author.

Blessing,

Miccah

2007/10/1 12:48Profile

Re:

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:
I have a couple of books on fasting, I haven't been completely through them, but they are:
[u]God's Chosen Fast by Arthur Wallis.[/u][color=009933]Having proved over many years the great value and blessing of fasting, the author has written this book to share with others what the Bible has to say about this important and neglected subject. His aim has been to furnish a handbook which deals not only with all the main passages in Scripture that touch on the matter, but also with the practical issues involved. This is a balanced study which seeks to give to the subject that weight that Scripture gives it and avoids exaggeration and over-emphasis. The book includes a biblical index, and a appendix dealing with the textual problems surrounding four references to fasting in the New Testament.[/color]

[i]God's Chosen Fast[/i] - I can 2nd that recommendation, it's an excellent book.

2007/10/1 13:11
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

There's a wonderful book on fasting entitled "Fasting Your Way to Health" which is written from a Christian perspective and has helped me greatly, particularly given my fears over fasting.

2007/10/1 14:05Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I don't want to sound too critical of Mahesh Chavda, I haven't heard anything he's spoken, or read anything he's written. But there is a saying 'never trust a thin chef.' It may just be Mr. Chavda's genetic disposition, but he is a rotund man. From what I've understood, great men of fasting and prayer are more often wasting away than plumping up. I don't want to judge based on appearances -but a man who writes a book on fasting shouldn't have a double chin.

A second point of concern that I noticed as I searched for a book on fasting on the internet, all the books on fasting are either Catholic, Mormon, or Pentecostal... of course that leaves me with the choice of Pentecostal, but I was really hoping I'd find something a little less Charismatic.

I can appreciate Ravenhill and other Pentecostals, but as a Baptist myself I was hoping for something a little less charismatic and more practical... maybe I'm fooling myself that something like that exhists. Something written in the 18th or 19th centuries by a anglican, a presbyterian, a methodist or a baptist?

2007/10/1 17:08Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

You may want to try Derek Prince, how to fast successfully

http://www.amazon.com/Fasting-Derek-Prince/dp/0883682583

Philip

2007/10/1 18:14Profile

Re:

Quote:
From what I've understood, great men of fasting and prayer are more often wasting away than plumping up. I don't want to judge based on appearances -but a man who writes a book on fasting shouldn't have a double chin.

Trust me, the more you fast the more you eat afterwards. I have done extensive fastings and lost a lot of weight, but to look at me today, you wouldn't know it. When you feel God calling you to a fast, you drop everything and get into it. As far as the book is concerned, I never heard of the man, but a Sister wanted to order a copy from Amazon, so I bought one too.

2007/10/1 21:21

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy