SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone know a good book on fasting?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
iansmith
Member



Joined: 2006/3/22
Posts: 963
Wheaton, IL

 Anyone know a good book on fasting?

I was reading the book Repentance by Basilea Schlink over the weekend and got the strong impression that I should not just be praying for repentance and revival, but also fasting... fasting isn't something that is taught about in my church and I don't have very much practical experience in it. I was hoping someone could direct me to a good resource about fasting.

I went to a couple bookstores over the weekend and didn't find anything remotely like a book about fasting except a book on gluttony and then some Christian 'self help' books.

I know that someone will inevitably reply, 'the bible.' I was in the good book last night, I know that it is the most important place to be looking to understand this, but some suplimental literature wouldn't hurt. Thanks!


_________________
Ian Smith

 2007/10/1 12:14Profile
Here4Him
Member



Joined: 2006/9/23
Posts: 212
England

 Re: Anyone know a good book on fasting?

John Piper has a book on prayer and fasting called 'A hunger for God'.

I have not read it but am sure it will be excellent if its from the pen of Piper!


_________________
George Platt

 2007/10/1 12:24Profile
MSeaman
Member



Joined: 2005/4/19
Posts: 772
Michigan

 Re: Anyone know a good book on fasting?

I have a couple of books on fasting, I haven't been completely through them, but they are:
[u]God's Chosen Fast by Arthur Wallis.[/u][color=009933]Having proved over many years the great value and blessing of fasting, the author has written this book to share with others what the Bible has to say about this important and neglected subject. His aim has been to furnish a handbook which deals not only with all the main passages in Scripture that touch on the matter, but also with the practical issues involved. This is a balanced study which seeks to give to the subject that weight that Scripture gives it and avoids exaggeration and over-emphasis. The book includes a biblical index, and a appendix dealing with the textual problems surrounding four references to fasting in the New Testament.[/color]
[u]Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough by Elmer L Towns.[/u][color=009933]Most believers know about fasting, but few really understand the wonderful benefits that come when we fast with purpose and direction. Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough gives the why of fasting, rather than just the how. Towns avoids a glut of techniques and schedules; instead he provides a probing look at Isaiah 58, often called "the fasting passage," and introduces nine biblical fasts---each designed for a specific physical and spiritual outcome. Learn how fasting can strengthen your faith and draw you closer to God, helping you to be a true overcomer in Christ.[/color]


_________________
Melissa

 2007/10/1 12:33Profile









 Re: Anyone know a good book on fasting?

I have a book here entitled, "The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting" by [url=http://www.maheshchavda.com/]Mahesh Chavda[/url], don't let the author's name frighten you. I will send this book free of charge postage paid to anywhere in North America and Europe. Send me your address via PM.

 2007/10/1 12:35
Miccah
Member



Joined: 2007/9/13
Posts: 1752
Wisconsin

 Re:

Quote:

Compliments wrote:
I have a book here entitled, "The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting" by [url=http://www.maheshchavda.com/]Mahesh Chavda[/url],



I have read this book and this is the one I was going to suggest. I believe that Mahesh has done over 30 - 40 day fasts (from all food) and a bunch of other fast ranging from 1-30+ days.

I highly suggest this author.

Blessing,

Miccah


_________________
Christiaan

 2007/10/1 12:48Profile









 Re:

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:
I have a couple of books on fasting, I haven't been completely through them, but they are:
[u]God's Chosen Fast by Arthur Wallis.[/u][color=009933]Having proved over many years the great value and blessing of fasting, the author has written this book to share with others what the Bible has to say about this important and neglected subject. His aim has been to furnish a handbook which deals not only with all the main passages in Scripture that touch on the matter, but also with the practical issues involved. This is a balanced study which seeks to give to the subject that weight that Scripture gives it and avoids exaggeration and over-emphasis. The book includes a biblical index, and a appendix dealing with the textual problems surrounding four references to fasting in the New Testament.[/color]



[i]God's Chosen Fast[/i] - I can 2nd that recommendation, it's an excellent book.

 2007/10/1 13:11
death2self
Member



Joined: 2006/9/28
Posts: 192
Washington DC area

 Re:

There's a wonderful book on fasting entitled "Fasting Your Way to Health" which is written from a Christian perspective and has helped me greatly, particularly given my fears over fasting.


_________________
Ed Pugh

 2007/10/1 14:05Profile
iansmith
Member



Joined: 2006/3/22
Posts: 963
Wheaton, IL

 Re:

I don't want to sound too critical of Mahesh Chavda, I haven't heard anything he's spoken, or read anything he's written. But there is a saying 'never trust a thin chef.' It may just be Mr. Chavda's genetic disposition, but he is a rotund man. From what I've understood, great men of fasting and prayer are more often wasting away than plumping up. I don't want to judge based on appearances -but a man who writes a book on fasting shouldn't have a double chin.

A second point of concern that I noticed as I searched for a book on fasting on the internet, all the books on fasting are either Catholic, Mormon, or Pentecostal... of course that leaves me with the choice of Pentecostal, but I was really hoping I'd find something a little less Charismatic.

I can appreciate Ravenhill and other Pentecostals, but as a Baptist myself I was hoping for something a little less charismatic and more practical... maybe I'm fooling myself that something like that exhists. Something written in the 18th or 19th centuries by a anglican, a presbyterian, a methodist or a baptist?


_________________
Ian Smith

 2007/10/1 17:08Profile
narrowpath
Member



Joined: 2005/1/9
Posts: 1067
Germany NRW

 Re:

You may want to try Derek Prince, how to fast successfully

http://www.amazon.com/Fasting-Derek-Prince/dp/0883682583


Philip

 2007/10/1 18:14Profile









 Re:

Quote:
From what I've understood, great men of fasting and prayer are more often wasting away than plumping up. I don't want to judge based on appearances -but a man who writes a book on fasting shouldn't have a double chin.

Trust me, the more you fast the more you eat afterwards. I have done extensive fastings and lost a lot of weight, but to look at me today, you wouldn't know it. When you feel God calling you to a fast, you drop everything and get into it. As far as the book is concerned, I never heard of the man, but a Sister wanted to order a copy from Amazon, so I bought one too.

 2007/10/1 21:21





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy