Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Alec Stevens - new to the forum

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Alec Stevens - new to the forum

Alec, I've got a copy of your Sundar Singh comic book, it's very well done. Thank you for making the story of that man's sacrificial life available for a new generation!

2007/10/2 16:39Profile

Alec,

Wanted to add that i'm literally taking this course, School of Christ International right now. It's awesome.

Quote:
One might call me a 'classical Pentecostal', as I believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (with the initial evidence of glossolalia) is a separate event from salvation in Christ, and is necessary for empowerment for service ("tarry ye at Jerusalem until ye be endued with power from above", the promise of the Father). However, I'm appalled at much of the charismatic circus that abounds today on TBN and other venues. They "have not so learned Christ." Smith Wigglesworth was the real article, but many charlatans try to affiliate themselves with men like him, but these are of a different spirit preaching "another gospel which is not another."

Amen, well said !!! :-D

2007/10/2 17:07

Alec,

What a privilege it would be if "Time Square Church" were my personal Church to go to if i lived in New York. One day i hope that i might be able to make the trip. The problem would be i would be coming alone and know nobody and that i have medical problems (not the you would notice). And also not knowing where to stay for say one or maybe two services. Oh how that would come true for me. I would be nervous coming by myself and not knowing anyone there and again where to stay for just one day if it were at all possible. My heart would over flow with joy. At 50 years of age, I have [u]never[/u] been out of my home state which is Florida.

2007/10/2 20:11

>What a privilege it would be if "Time Square Church" were my personal Church to go to if i lived in New York. One day i hope that i might be able to make the trip.

I live 37 miles west of NYC, and many who attend live in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and elsewhere. It is sad that so many have to travel so far just to find 'a stream of water' in these days where, as in the youth of Samuel the prophet, "the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision."

You can see videos of some of the sermons of Times Square Church online [url=http://www.tscnyc.org/]here.[/url]

Bert Clendennen (of The School of Christ International) just concluded a three day pastors' conference in Alabama, and is scheduled to be a guest speaker at Times Square Church for the Tuesday evening service on the 16th of October. I'm very excited to hear him preach again, and was tremendously edified by his "Countdown to the Tribulation" series of sermons released on CD and DVD earlier this year. My favorite series of his messages is probably "Overcoming Through Prevailing Prayer" which he preached in 1984 tent meetings in Boston, MA. Tremendous teaching.

2007/10/8 18:46

Re: Alec Stevens - welcome to the forum

>I've always thought that many stories of the faith -- including the lives of men and women like Jim Eliott, Brother Andrew, Corrie ten Boom, David Livingstone, Nicky Cruz, etc... -- would be well received as graphic novels.

I agree, if they're prayerfully and intelligently done.

>I feel that graphic novels can help provide much-needed imagery to individuals whose imagination is slightly limited by vocabulary or grammar.

Actually, I regard the graphic novel (comics/sequential art) as a legitimate artform, with as much potential as the best work in fine art, literature, film, etc.

Some people are immediately prejudiced when they see narrative art in panel form, thinking that comics (a misnomer if not humorous material) are for puerile minds only. The fact is, many secular comics artists do the very same sort of work (for a lot more money) for television commercials or for motion pictures. The drawings are called [i]storyboards[/i], and are an invaluable tool for directors and cinematographers in setting up the main shots of a film.

Truth be known, I've been trained as an academic artist (as well as in 'modern' techniques), and it is a lot easier to draw or paint one picture and enjoy public acclaim than to create a series of images with the same characters, seen from different perspectives, and be 'dismissed' as a cartoonist (which I'm really not; I'm only using the format).

"But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise..."

2007/10/8 19:01

>Alec, I've got a copy of your Sundar Singh comic book, it's very well done. Thank you for making the story of that man's sacrificial life available for a new generation!

My pleasure! I'm working on another one which I hope to have in print, should the Lord tarry, in spring 2008. More later.

2007/10/8 19:05
Compton

Hi Alec,

It is good to have you here. Great comic artwork too.

It seems that SI has a growing number of arts and music people.

MC

2007/10/8 20:32Profile

Re:

B. H. Clendennen preached an hour and a half this past Tuesday at Times Square Church in NYC. You can hear his message [url=http://www.tscnyc.org/sermons.php?hl=881]here.[/url] It is called "Is Not This the Fast".

2007/10/20 12:43

Re:

>It is good to have you here. Great comic artwork too.

Thank you!

>It seems that SI has a growing number of arts and music people.

>MC

I think one of the biggest challenges for an artist is to die to self and the "urgent" need for self-expression. On the other hand, if artists, musicians, etc. are truly broken and contrite, and the old, fallen nature crucified, then we are in a position to be vessels through whom the Lord can speak. Such is a rarity, unfortunately.

2007/10/20 12:48

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy