Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Alec Stevens - new to the forum

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Alec Stevens - new to the forum

Alec Stevens here. I am a professional artist, writer, and musician, and currently attend Times Square Church in NYC where David Wilkerson is the founding pastor. One of my favorite ministries on the planet is the School of Christ International, founded by B. H. Clendennen of Beaumont, Texas. If you're not familiar with this marvelous pastoral training/missions organization, see the website at http://www.socintl.org

I used to illustrate for [b]The New York Times[/b] Book Review for fourteen years, as well as for [b]The New Yorker[/b] magazine, and numerous other 'high profile' secular accounts over the past two decades. While such work pays well, it is of no eternal value. These days I freelance for various Christian journals, and also publish books, tracts, graphic novels, and such like via my own imprint [b]Calvary Comics[/b]:

http://www.calvarycomics.com

I've been aware of this Sermon Index website for a number of years, and regard it as an indispensible resource for these times.

Yours in Christ Jesus,

Alec

2007/9/29 11:23Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Alec Stevens - new to the forum

Hello Alec, warm welcome to sermonindex!

I just heard the other day [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=5115&commentView=itemComments]Soldiers[/url] by B. H. Clendennen, good message.

God bless your stay,
Kire

2007/9/29 11:56Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
I've been aware of this Sermon Index website for a number of years, and regard it as an indispensible resource for these times.

A warm welcome Alec, it always seems somewhat strange to say that upon hearing from someone who is or has been frequenting here some time. Just as well would be interesting to hear your take on matters ...

2007/9/29 12:14Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

I agree! I have a 1982 audiotape of this message, as well as a DVD of Bro. Clendennen preaching it at Times Square Church in July, 2006, and had the pleasure of meeting him backstage after the service. A truly great man of God, with all the marks of an apostle following his ministry. I don't use such terms lightly.

Yours in Christ Jesus,

Alec <

2007/10/1 19:13Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

> Just as well would be interesting to hear your take on matters ...

Such as...?

2007/10/1 19:14Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I agree! I have a 1982 audiotape of this message, as well as a DVD of Bro. Clendennen preaching it at Times Square Church in July, 2006, and had the pleasure of meeting him backstage after the service. A truly great man of God, with all the marks of an apostle following his ministry. I don't use such terms lightly.

Great to see you on the site and registered dear brother. I have enjoyed running across your website before especially taking keen interest to the "sundar singh" comic book.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with on the site.

2007/10/1 19:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Just as well would be interesting to hear your take on matters ...

Such as...?

Just about anything brother. Have often wondered the perception out there from those peering into things here.

2007/10/1 22:24Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

From my initial post you can probably determine where my theology is, but here are a few things:

I believe that the Bible is the plenary, inspired Word of God. The King James Version, based on the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts, is the best English translation, but even it has a few minor errors. Still, armed with a KJV Bible, a Strong's Concordance and an interlinear Bible I believe that one can very well, with prayer and the leading of the Holy Spirit, come into an understanding of even the most difficult passages of Scripture.

I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian, but I do not break fellowship with Christians who uphold such doctrines.

I believe in the imminent return of Christ for His bride in a pre-Tribulation rapture (which doesn't mean that we as individuals or as a nation cannot or won't ever go through any personal tribulation; just look at the underground church in China, for example).

The "prosperity gospel" and "the emergent church" are but two of many false gospels being proliferated in today's largely apostate western world. I don't hold to Kingdom Now/Dominion theology either, or "replacement" theology: God is not finished with natural Israel. Many will come to know Messiah during the Tribulation, and will succeed in preaching the Gospel to the entire world, whereas we Gentiles have failed to do so since the First Century, despite our growing technology.

I believe that Augustine's doctrine formed much of the basis for the tenets of the Romish church which the Reformers and Puritans regarded as the Whore of Babylon. With the Vatican having had over 68 million executed from 1300-1800 I cannot disagree. I believe the next pope may very well be the False Prophet who will call down fire in the presence of the Beast/Antichrist.

One might call me a 'classical Pentecostal', as I believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (with the initial evidence of glossolalia) is a separate event from salvation in Christ, and is necessary for empowerment for service ("tarry ye at Jerusalem until ye be endued with power from above", the promise of the Father). However, I'm appalled at much of the charismatic circus that abounds today on TBN and other venues. They "have not so learned Christ." Smith Wigglesworth was the real article, but many charlatans try to affiliate themselves with men like him, but these are of a different spirit preaching "another gospel which is not another."

I quite like the writings of A. W. Tozer, Leonard Ravenhill, Charles Finney, Hudson Taylor, etc. Though largely unpopular to say so nowadays, I was very edified by Jimmy Swaggart's ministry before his fall in 1988, as were many. R. A. Torrey and D. L. Moody also emphasized being filled with the Holy Spirit.

I believe that psychology and that the techniques of Freud, Jung, Maslow, Rogers et al have no place in the church of Christ. Dr. Martin and Deidre Bobgan's Psychoheresy Awareness ministry have much excellent material that is against psychology and for Biblical counseling.

There you have it in some very broad strokes, brother. Remember, you asked!

Yours in Christ Jesus,

Alec <

2007/10/2 13:49Profile

" Welcome brother Alec to Sermon index "

I was smiling from ear to ear and rejoicing in my heart when you said some things. You brought up "Smith Wigglesworth" whom i think a great deal of, not so much because of the miracles but because of his 24/7 walk with God in the Spirit, that most know nothing about when it comes to truly walking in the Spirit and operating in the gifts of the Spirit which we both know if you know Wigglesworth walked in "all" the gifts of the Spirit, thats incredible. I've read to my knowledge everything there is to know about that man. For someone that was taught for the first time to read and write in there early twenties by his wife (she never taught him to spell) and him moving so mightly in the Spirit is incredible.

You also mentioned "Time Square Church" with Pastors David Wilkerson and Pastor Carter Conlon of whom i also have a great regard for and listen to there sermons on a very regular basis. I've also been receiving David Wilkerson's Newsletters for about 25 years now. For me personaly i loved Wigglesworth's ministry as i did Leonard Ravenhills ministry so very very much. For todays timing and people i mainly go with Pastors David Wilkerson and Pastor Carter Conlon. All these men walked/are walking in the Spirit truly. It really blessed my socks off to see you mention them. This is just my personal account of how i feel, i only speak for myself. You will notice all these men are in my profile.

God Bless you Sir and again, welcome.

2007/10/2 15:57
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Welcome, Brother Alec...

It seems like we have quite a few things in common!

By the way, I was greatly impacted by a "comic book" version of David Wilkerson's [i]The Cross and the Switchblade[/i] as a child. I eventually purchased a copy of the book shortly after meeting the Lord as a teen.

I've always thought that many stories of the faith -- including the lives of men and women like Jim Eliott, Brother Andrew, Corrie ten Boom, David Livingstone, Nicky Cruz, etc... -- would be well received as graphic novels. I feel that graphic novels can help provide much-needed imagery to individuals whose imagination is slightly limited by vocabulary or grammar.

Anyway, I enjoyed your website! Thanks!

:-)

2007/10/2 16:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy