SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Quoting scripture?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
thomasm

Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada

Re:

All scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking, and training in righteousness... [2TIM 3;16]
We are also God breathed, with the Spirit of Truth, who guides us into all truth in Christ. [1John 2;26-27][john 20; 21-23]
Apart from the Spirit we cannot understand the scriptures.

The New testament wasn't written, or at least wasn't common knowledge, at the time of the early Church, they had to rely on the Holy Spirit to guide them, and keep them from being lead astray, because most of the false doctrine was being brought to them through the scriptures, by the Jewish leaders who didn't want to follow the way of Christ, apart from the law or circumcision.
All for now.
love in Christ tom

2007/10/1 23:10Profile

Re:

2 John 1:9
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the DOCTRINE of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the DOCTRINE of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

2 John 1:10
If there come any unto you, and bring not this DOCTRINE, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Proverbs 4:2
For I give you good DOCTRINE, forsake ye not my law.

Isaiah 28:9
Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand DOCTRINE? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

Isaiah 29:24
They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn DOCTRINE.

Matthew 7:28
And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his DOCTRINE:

Matthew 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for DOCTRINEs the commandments of men.

Matthew 16:12
Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the DOCTRINE of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Matthew 22:33
And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his DOCTRINE.

Mark 1:22
And they were astonished at his DOCTRINE: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.

Mark 1:27
And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new DOCTRINE is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

Mark 4:2
And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his DOCTRINE,

John 7:16
Jesus answered them, and said, My DOCTRINE is not mine, but his that sent me.

John 7:17
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the DOCTRINE, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Acts 2:42
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' DOCTRINE and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Acts 13:12
Then the deputy, when he saw what was done, believed, being astonished at the DOCTRINE of the Lord.

Acts 17:19
And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new DOCTRINE, whereof thou speakest, is?

Romans 6:17
But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of DOCTRINE which was delivered you.

Romans 16:17
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the DOCTRINE which ye have learned; and avoid them.

1 Corinthians 14:6
Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by DOCTRINE?

1 Corinthians 14:26
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a DOCTRINE, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Ephesians 4:14
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of DOCTRINE, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Colossians 2:22
Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and DOCTRINEs of men?

1 Timothy 1:3
As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other DOCTRINE,

1 Timothy 1:10
For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound DOCTRINE;

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and DOCTRINEs of devils;

1 Timothy 4:6
If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good DOCTRINE, whereunto thou hast attained.

1 Timothy 4:13
Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to DOCTRINE.

1 Timothy 4:16
Take heed unto thyself, and unto the DOCTRINE; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

1 Timothy 5:17
Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and DOCTRINE.

1 Timothy 6:1
Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his DOCTRINE be not blasphemed.

1 Timothy 6:3
If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the DOCTRINE which is according to godliness;

2 Timothy 3:10
But thou hast fully known my DOCTRINE, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for DOCTRINE, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and DOCTRINE.

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound DOCTRINE; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Titus 1:9
Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound DOCTRINE both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Titus 2:1
But speak thou the things which become sound DOCTRINE:

Titus 2:7
In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in DOCTRINE shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

Titus 2:10
Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the DOCTRINE of God our Saviour in all things.

Hebrews 6:1
Therefore leaving the principles of the DOCTRINE of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Hebrews 13:9
Be not carried about with divers and strange DOCTRINEs. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

Revelation 2:14
But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the DOCTRINE of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Revelation 2:15
So hast thou also them that hold the DOCTRINE of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

Revelation 2:24
But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this DOCTRINE, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

This is what GOD says about Doctrine. I stand with the Lord, the Apostles and the Prophets on this issue 100 %.....OBEDIENCE of Faith!!!!

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

PS: Psalms 1, Jesus Came to save Sinners lost in
the SICKNESS of SIN,.... He came for the sick and lost, not to heal their bodies, but to heal a broken relationship between God and Man. As no one can come to the Father except throught the Son.

When SIN entered the world through Adam's FALL, all died ( Romans 5) and with that death also came physical death and disease. Our SOULS He came to Heal, our bodies won't be healed and perfect until He Comes and redeems His SAINTS when we will have our GLORIFIED Bodies.

We don't know what we will be, but we know we will be like Him,for we shall see Him as He is.

God is more interested in a healed relationship with Him offered through CALVARY, then anything elso. God isn't interested as much in our happiness as He is in our Holiness. ( Painful saying...but True!)

Psalms 1...Do you want want this? or not?

[b][color=CC0000]1 Timothy 5:17Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and DOCTRINE.[/color][/b]

2007/10/2 5:46

Re:

Quote:
did you see what philologos said in the inner light thread.

........."God is bigger than his book".

That is only philologos's opinion.

Here's another I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH:

http://www.apprising.org/archives/2006/05/contemplating_t.html

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

PS: If you inner light doesn't take you to Calvary, and that light doesn't shine in the face of Jesus Christ....WHO IS GOD, who came to break the power of SIN in your life, then you are only dancing in the sparks of your own light.

Here is a sobering warning:...from GOD!

Isaiah 50:11
Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/10/2 6:33

Re: Quoting scripture?

Jeanette, greetings! :-)

Interesting how the Spirit leads. It is often the case on SI that someone begins a thread (like this) which links others which are busy at the same time, at the deeper level of spiritual truths being brought to attention there also.

This crosses with 'A vital doctrine which the church has failed to teach me', in interesting ways.

2007/10/2 8:29

poet made good points on p1, some of which have already been quoted, but this is what stood out for me: '[b]we're on the same team trying to edify each other and answer each others questions[/b].'

Amen!

He continued: 'I no longer will bash a person, but can make righteous judgments on what they teach.'

Amen.

'Will I share my findings to everyone who I come in contact with or will I quietly just get away from bad teaching and pray for those who listen to it?'

Hmmm. If only it were this simple! :-(

'[b]I could be wrong about bad teaching and figure that out a year later. But now I've told 20 people that I have to find and appoligize for it.[/b]'

This is level of practical Christianity is challenging!

My personal favourite from all these, (which I hope will not rebound back on me!), is this last sentence, which [i]must[/i] become one of my prayers: [color=006699]It takes discernment to know what to speak out against [b]and when to just chew your tongue off[/b].[/color] :-)

2007/10/2 9:11
psalm1

Re:

katy did, thank you for your response.I dont try to differ with scripture.
I believe the word is like our DNA. We should be so full of the word that it is 2nd nature to us.
why do you think I am anti- doctrine?
Reread my post. I said I love doctrine.
Some of the things I say, I say to offer a diff perspective.
The pitfall of the pharisees was their inability to recognise Jesus as messiah 3 inches from their face incarnate.[THEY WERE VOID OF THE SPIRIT}
Seems our great pitfall is being top heavy with doctrine and practically void of the spirit.
"the letter killeth but the spirit giveth light"
Jesus urged us to be topheavy.
"On these 2 commandmeents hung all the law and the prophets"
L-O-V-E and L-O-V-E
God is love but love is not God
The gospel is 2 [ Healing and salvation]
If I preach salvation without healing I preach half a gospel.
Hows my doctrine so far?

Katy I do agree with most of what you say.
.......David
Why would you think God is not interested in our happiness?
"the joy of the Lord is our strength"

2007/10/2 9:13Profile

I don't want to get deeply embroiled in this thread, but have found something more to say, which I hope may bring an acceptable perspective on our thinking and doing.

David had written about the practical ministry of Jesus as if it was in opposition to doctrine, and Katy replied in opposition, (also) contradicting what she had said on another thread about the importance of [u]all[/u] the gifts. This conflict caught my eye, because it is obvious to the reader.

Katy, your emphasis on the word is great, but it opens you to its intrinsic paradoxes. Here are two:

John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

and

Luke 16:31
And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

I know I don't know the Bible as well as I want to, nor do I understand it all, but it is an amazing tool in the Spirit's hand to reveal God to us more clearly, and to challenge us to the roots to live as Jesus lived. This is the crunch!

David, amen to your last post.

I think theologians may have hacked the word 'doctrine' to pieces, that it no longer can be depended upon to mean something to do with a health-giving formula of words - doctorin-g. It may even be removed from scriptural concepts. :-o

Beloved, let us love one another as Christ loved us. (I speak to myself.)

2007/10/2 10:01

Re:

Hi Psalms 1, I know it's hard, when others interject in a conversation WE started together, and I know WE can work through it without the extra thoughts projected into this conversation only to cause confusion and bring things off track.

I've learned to avoid those comments that lead away from the issues we were talking about.

If some see contradiction of thought, maybe it's out of their own misunderstanding....as was said...I agree.

Back to our discussion. Maybe what I am replying to, as you did bring it over from the tongues thread, that the poor people in Mexico ( doctrine is like water running out of their hands.....but Psalms 1, that is a wrong perspective.

Here I do believe we will agree on, and put other comments to rest that there is no contradictions what so ever.

Our GIFTS are to Glorify God, and in the use of them we must preach and teach CORRECT Doctrine concerning salvation. There are so many Gospels that are simply false gospels. Miracles or the appearance of them is not enough, as I posted one such Mormon Missionary who did perform miracles and recruited many into the Mormon Church....but we both know,,,their Jesus is Satan's brother...an angel. Now we also know Angels have no blood...correct? YES, they do not, so their Jesus (even though they preach blood) (I say...what blood exactly??? Angels don't have Blood). Many of the WORDS sound good etc, etc, but their whole foundation on the Deity of Jesus Christ is one of great difference. In the OT, the Son of God, Jews KNEW that meant GOD, not a person, but God in a person, the Messiah. The reason Jews killed Jesus was because they were incensed that He claimed to be the Son of God. This was total blasphemy to them. When Paul met Jesus on the road to Damascus, and was saved, after being filled with the Holy Spirit IMMEDIATELY went to the Temple and preached that JESUS IS **THE SON OF GOD**. That was a most significant moment not only for Paul, but Jews who rejected the SON OF GOD! The Idea wasn't about Gifts of Tongues or Prophesy or Teaching or Preaching,,,,but what he said.....DOCTRINE....plays a major role in it more than anything. What Paul was preaching WAS DOCTRINE....so, there is NO, absolutely NO contradiction in what I said.

I do believe we agree on this....just don't quite know how to express it so we can agree.

Also concerning extra Biblical words like following your....**Inner Light**...we Follow Jesus Christ...we Follow the Lamb of God, and those who are NOT ashamed of the Gospel, or Ashamed to say JESUS CHRIST, or embarassed to say we follow the Lamb of God...are those who are not ashamed to say they were saved by the Shed blood of Jesus Christ.

We are to abstain from all appearances of evil, and for MY Conscience, I cannot use these words "Inner Light" no matter what someone is saying about them...the apperance of these words, Not rooted in the Cross, along with cults using them.....also knowing these words ARE NOT in scripture to begin with have no place coming our of our mouth. We preach *Christ Crucified*, and we are Lead by the Holy Spirit,who is by the way , the third PERSON of the Tinity. An inner light seems more like an *IT*...God is NOT an *IT*.
Just as AA uses Higher Power, but with them, a tree in your back yard can be their Higher Power.

I don't use the term Higher Power either. I'm not ashamed to say Jesus Christ.

Oh well, enough for my soap box here.

So, I don't think there is contradiction with wht we are saying, I just think it's things we feel inside, but have yet to more fully express.
(I don't like others psycho-babbel jumping in and doing that for me or you...we can work this out ourselves.....as adults!

I do appreciate this conversation Psalms 1, because you are stating more clearly each time and clarifying your thoughts.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

:-) :-) :-)

2007/10/2 14:08
psalm1

Re:

katy did, yes I do think it is beneficial to have my "beliefs" challenged through other believers and the word.
I think we kinda become "tried through fire" and we become a stronger body through it.
I dont mind you questioning me or holding me to scripture.
I must admit I have learned much from you and Dorcus[she is an awesome lady].
Also jeanette and ironman and running2win,compton and Krispy.
You are all giants and I love the lively debates.
......Bless you too....
...David

2007/10/2 14:23Profile

Katy-did said

Quote:
I know it's hard, when others interject in a conversation WE started together

Katy... that's what happens in forums. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone is immune from this phenomenon. It comes with the territory.
Quote:
I've learned to avoid those comments that lead away from the issues we were talking about.

That's great. :-)
Quote:
only to cause confusion and bring things off track.

This was not my intention, and I believe you know that. Those reading a thread can see only what we post, and draw their conclusions from the information we leave on their screens.

David,

I too am blessed through your posts, particularly your recent outbursts of heart-pouring. I didn't say anything because others commented, but you were right in the Spirit of what God is speaking to me, in your post about Mexico. May He give you your heart's desire in growth and ministry.

2007/10/2 16:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy