SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible Memorization, tools, tips, methods, etc.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
crusader

Australia:

Re:

brother paulwest thankyou for your anwser to this and it was meat to my spirit. I have grown around people who can quote scripture and know the word inside and out but don't know the lord. I personally can't quote scripture word for word but i meditate strongly on what i do read and test my understanding with the Lord and the rest of the bible. I have an understanding of scripture that God reveals to me and in most cases i relay this to non-christian in parable form.

2007/9/28 22:01Profile
reformer

Re:

For me it is hard to try to use a method, i am not opposed to them, for me I haven't been that successful with it. but, I do think methods will help and encourage anyone, you might find that you can incorporate a bit from each idea. To me there is no wrong method that helps someone to memorize scripture.

For me I keep index cards near me as I study a book, if a verse jumps out to me, I write it down, and take it with me in the car and place it in my visor. If i am stuck in traffic or a light I will pull it down and read it and put it back. But do not drive will reading it!! I used to tape it on my car dash, so i know its there staring at me. But do what ever works for you.

2007/9/30 20:18Profile
JoanM

Re: memorizing/learning by heart

Brother Paul

In reading what others were saying about memorizing scripture I wondered if what has been true in my new life would be meaningful to anyone. Your post suggests it might. After I met God, I began to learn scripture by heart. For me that is the way. This was not at all like memorizing, which I had been pretty poor at. The second scripture I learned by heart was John 1:1. I was struggling to translate the Greek word logos into the English. That’s when God revealed Himself to me as Jesus Christ. Then came Phil. 3:10. God had just made it real in my life. (Still is.} Then it was Eph. 3:20-21. Then I noticed that I was actually quoting scripture when I had not memorized it but was just trying to communicate a true principle/something God had said about the issue at hand. I did not often know where in the Bible it was written so I used the Strong’s that God had provided. Sure enough it was in the Bible.

Maybe it would help if a gave a small example: I wondered, in 1992 if God would approve of my attending a woman’s Bible Study where men and women studied separately but at that time a woman seemed to be the head of it. I asked Him specifically in prayer (about the men-women point and my other concern of did this woman leader know about the death of self). Soon after that, I heard the scripture (radio? sermon at church?) “the Lord gave the word and great was the company of those that published it.” As I looked at that scripture in Psalms, I was certain that it was women sharing the Word of God. I called a Chaplin to ask if he knew the Hebrew. He suggested I call a local Rabbi. Wonderful things occurred in the process of my learning that YES it was women and yes it was ok for me to study with these women. That day I learned by heart “The Lord gave the Word and great was the company of those that published it.” Anyone would.

PS: At my first bible study meeting I shared how I came there and someone gave me the founder’s book on how the bible study came about. In Chapter 4, I read her account of a small death of self (she did not call it that), and in Chapter 5 she listed five things she continuingly learned as true. One was “the power at the cross of the death of self” Now that had already been the explanation God had taught me of what was occurring since I learned Phi 3:10 by heart. I think of that as His first explanation of how it is so much occurs in Revival.

Back on point: LEARNING BY HEART. Memorizing the Word of God is a wonderful thing to do. I am sure God makes His word alive that way to us. Have you ever had that deep desire that every word out of you mouth would be the Word of God? I know that and how it can be in the heart of those who have memorized whole books of the Bible. I study and sometimes pray His Word daily. [u]But learning His Word by heart is very precious to me and it does not seem to me to be memorizing.[/u] It’s connected to obeying Him and my walk with Him and probably much more. There is no way to forget it. Very soon when I would hear His Word, how to explain this Father, the sound of it was like the sound of John or Matthew or Paul; like, “Gee, that sounds like Mark.” He brings corrections to misquotes by others and many other rich, growing things. I still use Strong to find the passage and understand more deeply all that I can of God’s point right then. But Oh, to know His Word by heart, that is, that is to know Him alive right then. I would have to forget Him before I would have any chance of forgetting a scripture learned that way. Right this minute I am hearing “the scripture and the power of God.” That is in the Bible for sure. I will go and see as soon as this is written. I think His point is that these two must come together. That is the way to learn. Maybe the power of God is there (?comes) when we learn by heart. Once I had a thought that made me laugh: learning this way was like having little mind-of-Christ brain cells pop into being. Oh to have more of the Mind of Christ.

Gotta go dear brother Paul. It was a pleasure to happen upon your post. I know He teaches us each uniquely but surely I am not the only one that learns this way. Few people talk about such things. Does anyone know if replies on threads are also sent to the person you reply to. I hope you see this PaulWest

2008/5/1 15:48Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I know He teaches us each uniquely but surely I am not the only one that learns this way. Few people talk about such things. Does anyone know if replies on threads are also sent to the person you reply to. I hope you see this PaulWest

Dear JoanM,

I am glad you were pleased by coming across this thread, and I agree that few people talk about these things like they should.

There is a mysterious thing (I know no other way of describing it) involved with the ingrafting of the Word of God, which is the purpose of all of our reading and memorization and study and meditation. In the end, it all just boils down to a mysterious action of the Holy Spirit, the impartation of divine life, the quickening of the Word to our being.

Rote memorization alone is not sufficient, neither is blanket reading or even musing over a specific verse with a Greek or Hebrew lexicon. Something additionally mysterious must happen for the Word to come alive and live within us, and that life can only come from the Author of Life, quickening His Word to our spirits as we meditate [i]in[/i] the Holy Spirit.

You can read a particular verse a hundred times over, getting different slants from a KJV, a NASB, a NLT and a Greek interlinear. You can then go and read Matthew Henry's thoughts, John Gill's enlightening comments, Matthew Poole, etc. Then you can pray for revelation and think and muse and turn the conglomerate of information over and over in your head - but in the end it simply will not be quickened (or processed) if the Holy Spirit does not brood. You will have all the information, the semantics, the proper hermeneutics, but the knowledge will still be powerless to impart life to yourself and others.

But when the Spirit broods and suddenly you have light, you at once have an unction-filled understanding, you have mysterious divine life that is vibrant and throbbing with the fragrance of God. This is precisely the reason why I do not get too preoccupied with judging different Bible translations. In the end, the Spirit must brood (I have witnessed the Spirit breathe life into the KJV, the NASB, the NLT, and even the MSG); all translations are equal when breathed upon by God. In these moments, the Sacred Writ comes alive within your spirit like a blazing sword and it pierces your marrow, it divides the soul from the spirit and the life-giving truth is at once galvanized into you in a way that exudes staggering, New Life vibrancy - to yourself and to all who come near you.

Sister, what must happen for the divine life, this ingrafting of fire from the Word of God to become embedded in our spirits? Ah, it is a mystery! I don't know how it happens, all I know is that the gunpowder is God's Word and the spark is the Holy Spirit. We are vessels. Vessels are meant to hold, to transport, to house objects of more worth than the container itself. A 250-million dollar Naval destroyer cruising through the Indian Ocean is a [i]vessel[/i] transporting commodities more important and costly than the vessel itself - namely human life. One seaman of the lowest rank is more precious than the vessel, though if the vessel goes down, the life also goes with it.

We are vessels to house the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ Jesus, and God has chosen our mean vessels to house the living, eternal Word. We are to be filled with gunpowder, with Holy Writ, in season and out of season, for who can tell when the Wind listeth to blow our way? In an instant, the spark can burst hidden Scripture into an open flame and cause it to sear others in an irrevocable way.

This is precisely why we are to develop habits of storing God's Word up, of hiding His Word for both offensive and defensive purposes. Hidden Fire can prevent sin, but hidden Fire can also spread to other vessels.

Brother Paul

2008/5/1 18:29Profile
JoanM

Re: Memorize/learn by heart

Thank you for responding. I wrote a reply but at the end there was no preview,submit cancel options. There was a carrot and "submit type". I am sure I did some odd thing. I did wonder what the IP symbol meant and clicked that to see. When nothing happened, I clicked reply and did. Sigh! I am content.

I am going to look for "how to" information. Sermonindex is my first web experience. Your resonse was full. I am asking about gunpowder-to-spark and brooding. Maybe something in the atmosphere of IP will deliver. Humor helps me.

2008/5/2 2:02Profile
davym

Re:

Reading this thread reminded me of a story I heard about Willie Mullan. During tea and coffee after a meeting, a member of the congregation came up to him holding a Bible and asked, "Mr Mullan, how do I get to know this book?". Mullan looked at him straight in the eye and said softly, "Read it."

Sounds obvious, but I've certainly met many people who claim to want to know the Bible and yet will read anything but the Bible.

2008/5/2 4:55Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I am going to look for "how to" information. Sermonindex is my first web experience.

Dear sister, this thread is exactly what you are looking for:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15477&forum=21&8]The Message Board Handbook[/url]

The brother who created it did a very fine job. It will teach you how to manuever about the website and maximize the technical usage of your time here. Hope this helps!

God bless and happy learning,

Brother Paul

2008/5/2 16:18Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy