SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Occult

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

Now I was a big heavy metal fan in the day.I still have many cd's,dvd and mp3's of many of those artists.Should I go as far as burning these? Will just having these around be bad?
GOD Bless
John

2007/9/26 11:18Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Hello Jamcor,

When I got saved 22 years ago I could not stand having anything unclean around that connected me with the past. I burned a lot in my little coal oven I had then.

When my daughter got saved she quit listening to her favourite rock groups altogether.

We had a young man coming to our house group who was heavyly into metal. He struggled with a lot of psychological problems and condemnation. I suggested him several times to cut himself of from this stuff, but he struggled with my advice.
He did not want to get baptized for quite a long while.

Let me give you an illustration. If you were married, would you still keep a picture of former boy or girl friends on display? Would you not want to avoid offending your spouse?

Acts 19:18-20
18Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed their evil deeds. 19A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas.[a] 20In this way the word of the Lord spread widely and grew in power.

Hope this helps.

Philip

2007/9/26 12:44Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

Good Point Philip! I wouldnt want pictures from the past.I still find myself checking out webpages of what bands are up to nowadays. I was a huge KISS fan and still buy dvd's from them.I never even gave consideration to these habits of mine.

2007/9/26 12:57Profile
psalm1

Re: The Occult

jamccor, Depends on whatlevel" of christianity you are satisfied with. There is the nominal variety which we see everywhere. God is an abstract. We find ourselve weak, carnal,and crcumstantial in this pseudo christian state. Just go to church and pay your tithe is what they tell you.There are in between levels that seem better but are revealed for"2nd best" when heaven's light shines in.
Now the place where Jesuswants you is the"noholds barred" walk where you are totallygiven to Jesus. Radical followers of Jesus. these are the ones the world hates.Paul actually had marks in his boby from preaching Jesus.
Read what Jesus said in "red letters" you will see how radical Jesus is.
What Jesus lays before all of us is NOT quaint salvation.
Read all that is said about dying.
Paul picked up his cross every day.
Jesus said unlees you eat my flesh and drink my blood you cannot be my disciple.
That makes rock stars wimps and believers real men and women.
Without Jesus people are walking corpses just going through lifes motions.
Becme a true soldier of Jesus and go through his boot camp and now you're not only walk ing with Jesus but on an adventure!
So there is only one thing for you and me.........GO FOR IT!!!!
....David

2007/9/26 15:45Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Jamccor,

Where is your affection? Music teaches, inspires. Does your music inspire you to love the LORD more? Challenge you to love your neighbor? Be pure in heart, soul and mind?

Something to consider when you select your reading material and music...Better yet, ask the LORD to reveal to you what HE wants you to listen to...that would be far better then what any other human could teach you.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2007/9/27 1:01Profile
rookie

Re:

Here is a sermon from Charity Christian Fellowships Mose Stoltzfus, Discerning Spiritual Warfare...

http://www.charityministries.org/audio/3286.mp3

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/27 4:25Profile

jamccor asked

Quote:
Should I go as far as burning these?

Let me offer a perspective.

When I saw your question, I immediately thought of the Ephesisans' bonfire, so, yes it might be the best way to show God you're serious.

The Ephesian story is interesting, because renouncing their pasts was the last, rather than the first thing they had to do. It was not a pre-condition of receiving the Holy Spirit, rather, [i]because[/i] of the Holy Spirit in their lives, they increased their separations from their pasts in this way.

But, this is not a decision which anyone can make for you. You will have to sweat it out for yourself, or the victory won't be yours in the same measure. Laying hold on this challenge and seeing it through, is going to strengthen your Christian character, and benefit your spiritual health. I'd even go so far as to say this may be a cause of the anxieties you sometimes feel.

I would add, that the more excuses you find yourself making, the more you want to put off the dreadful day, the more you are able to judge just what a hold this seemingly innocent pursuit has come to have on you. Just remember that you haven't really decided anything you haven't actually carried out. You may have intentions, but they become decisions when you [i]do[/i] them. Generally, we [i]do[/i] what we [i]want[/i].

The underlying challenge in the Christian life, is to return again and again to being willing to make our choices in the light of God's mind. If He has an opinion, we want to agree with Him. The way He and the angels know how [i]much[/i] we agree with Him, is by what we actually [i]do[/i]. As I'm writing my own soul is very challenged, also, about things I do not 'do'...

Quote:
Will just having these around be bad?

Well, now you know God is making an issue of this with you, 'just having these things around' might be [i]worse[/i].

It's a critical factor in the definition of sin, that once you know what is right, it is sin not to do it. This [u]is[/u] the work of the Holy Spirit in your life and it is to be embraced, but I know it is very tough to give up a piece of your heart which has been so comfortable in its satisfactions. You may even wonder what you will listen to instead, it may leave such an emptiness in your emotional world. God knows this, but until you make the room\space for Him, He cannot fill it with His comfort and healing.

I do believe anyone who chose heavy metal for recreation, has been opened to spiritually wounding words and influences. You will feel a great deal better when all these have been attended to by the Lord.

In fact, you may have covered up some quite important things with this angry music, so you didn't need to retain them in your consciousness at the time. This is very common (with any sort of music) but which deeper issues God hopes to help you recover from.

I don't say this as a word from the Lord, I'm just making an observation about how teenagers deal with 'stuff' and how God knew all about it back then, and in eternal terms has made provision for it to be resolved that you may have [u]peace[/u]. It may not be about getting harder, but about admitting your softnesses, which were not admissable in yesteryear, but now in Christ, He seeks to restore to His likeness.

As you grapple with all this, God may seem distant, but He is not disapproving. He is on your side, to [i]give[/i] you the victory in Christ.

2007/9/27 12:49
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

As I lay my sins before GOD, I want to make mention also of my fascination with ghosts. Just today I was looking for ghost videos on the internet. Now I know the truth and I believe in spiritual warfare.Why would I play with fire? Sometimes I cannot explain away the things I do.
Sometimes hearing from people who go through or have went through these things quickens me to stop doing these things.

2007/9/27 13:24Profile
Syl

Re: to jamccor about heavy metal music

:-) I was born again on Nov 4 2007 and before that I used to love hard rock and some heavy metal. About 2 months before I got saved I had told my kids that I loved the Scorpions, an 80's band so much that I saw my self on a walker as an old lady banging my head. The instant I surrendered my life to Jesus He took away all desire to listen to any of those lyrics. The Lord knew how much I loved music and that I still do, but I will not listen to what I used to listen to it because when I realized what my Lord had gone through on the cross for me the desire to plese Him became stronger than my selfish desires to please my itching ears.Now with me, I was instantly delivered from it, but for some people it is a slower prosess. Read Romans 12:1&2 it says to present yourself as a living sacrifice and to not be conformed to this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of your mind. If you read your bible every day and follow these versed you will see that the Lord will be there helping you.

Quote:

jamccor wrote:
Now I was a big heavy metal fan in the day.I still have many cd's,dvd and mp3's of many of those artists.Should I go as far as burning these? Will just having these around be bad?
GOD Bless
John

2007/9/27 13:52Profile

jamccor said

Quote:
I want to make mention also of my fascination with ghosts.

Brother,

Thank you for continuing to open yourself to the Lord in this way. I pray we all who sense your desire for rightness with God in your experience, will be prayerful and patient as you come to understand God's answers to these things.

About ghosts, have you ever done a Bible study on the subject?

2007/9/27 15:32

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy