Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Protestants embrace confession

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Protestants embrace confession

[b]Protestants embrace confession[/b]

Americans are flocking to confess their sins as Protestant churches have joined their Catholic counterparts in modernising the sacrament of penance.

Thousands of people are attending confession at weekends and just as many are posting their repentance on videos that are played back to congregations or shared on websites such as YouTube.

New technology is fuelling the boom, but so is clever marketing by Churches that are portraying confession as a form of self-improvement — always popular with Americans — rather than some sort of punishment.

Church leaders also attribute the boom to the fashion for self-analysis peddled by daytime television programmes such as The Jerry Springer Show and to a wider theological trend in which Christians are looking for firmer moral guidance. ...

read more: www.telegraph.co.uk

2007/9/22 12:35Profile

Re: Protestants embrace confession

Isn't this just a way of introducing reality tv into churches, but giving it a spiritual name instead of recognising it is really a form of voyeurism facilitated by exhibitionists?

The saddest thing about any such trend, is that some people will really go through with God and move on, and those who see it as pure entertainment, might thus miss a golden opportunity to become numbered with the saved.

God knows the hearts.

2007/9/23 10:49

But define Protestants?

I can see Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians, The United Churches, flocking to the penance chambers, though they are Protestant Churches, yet they all are like the Catholic Church.

Now if the report said that Baptist and Pentecostals were seeking the confession closet, then I would be shocked.

2007/9/23 12:06

Compliments said

Quote:
if the report said that Baptist and Pentecostals were seeking the confession closet,

Brother... I don't know which is worse... the 'confession closet' or [i]the confession big screen[/i] :-o ?

2007/9/23 14:37

Re:

Getting spooky out there.

Just found this article and also looking at the right hand side-bar of "Related News".

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=11189

2007/12/16 23:32
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi all.

As I was reading here, I am wondering if there isn't a proper and Biblical understanding of public confession and or acknowledgment of sin?

Would be repulsed by the idea of this being some sort of spectacle too. But still we don't want to neglect something that is right because it is abused?

Something that came to mind,

"John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. And there went out unto him all the land of Judea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins."

- Mark chapter 1 verses 4-5(KJV)

I don't think this means they were all saying exactly what it was they had done wrong, but still there is the idea of a public acknowledgment?

I remember reading somewhere also that when an Israelite went to the Temple to offer sacrifice that he was making a similar public declaration of sin.

Not suggesting here we have to go around telling about all our sins. Then again it seems wrong to me also that we should hide them from each other all the time too. It seems like there is a danger in that of making hypocrites and playactors of us. Where we wear masks and hide who we really are. And wouldn't that breed a culture of dishonesty among us.

Chris

2007/12/17 1:26Profile

ChrisJD said

Quote:
I don't think this means they were all saying exactly what it was they had done wrong, but still there is the idea of a public acknowledgment?

I remember reading somewhere also that when an Israelite went to the Temple to offer sacrifice that he was making a similar public declaration of sin.

Chris,

If you think about it slowly, there is an assumption embedded in Christianity, that those who make a public profession of faith by attending church [i]at all[/i], are admitting their need of God, and may even, by their entering a church, be confessing a heart of repentance towards God....

What d'ya think?

2007/12/17 17:05
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

Dorcas; you wisely said only God knows the
hearts. Only God's Son can forgive and only
His blood avails to cleanse us of sin and
iniquity. So why are they seeking another
Advocate or Mediator?? A closeted confession
is no confession at all !! :-(

2007/12/17 20:34Profile

Re:

The wages of sin is death. Only one, Jesus Christ can atone for our sin. Doesn't matter how much time has lapsed since the last sin but we must confess our sins daily to have fellowship with the Father through Christ. Without Christ we are without hope but wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
KJV

2008/1/2 7:59

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy