SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is th World

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
glaubemann

Germany ( Erlangen)

What is th World

Hello , i want to ask , what do you think about what the bible mean by the World,
And the Bible say that :don t love the world nor the things that are in the world , if somebody love the world , the love of the father is not in him.
from my french Bible Dictionary i did nt not find a real explanation of the word WORLD and the Things that are in the WORLD
let me know what you say about the difference according please to the bible and let me know the Commentary or Dictionary you use .
Thanks

2007/9/21 13:16Profile

Re: What is th World

the next verse (in 1 John 2) gives us a decent hint

16For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world

I also looked up the greek

kos'-mos
orderly arrangement, that is, decoration; by implication the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its inhabitants, literally or figuratively [morally]): - adorning, world.

and finally I like John Wesleys very frank comment on the verse:

1Jn 2:15/16 - To you all, whether fathers, young men, or little children, I say, Love not the world - Pursue your victory by overcoming the world. If any man love the world - Seek happiness in visible things, he does not love God.

The desire of the flesh - Of the pleasure of the outward senses, whether of the taste, smell, or touch. The desire of the eye - Of the pleasures of imagination, to which the eye chiefly is subservient; of that internal sense whereby we relish whatever is grand, new, or beautiful. The pride of life - All that pomp in clothes, houses, furniture, equipage, manner of living, which generally procure honour from the bulk of mankind, and so gratify pride and vanity. It therefore directly includes the desire of praise, and, remotely, covetousness. All these desires are not from God, but from the prince of this world.

In Christ - Jim

2007/9/21 13:23
roadsign

Re:

And yet...

"For God so loved the world...." Jn. 3:16

In each verse (Jn 3:16, and 1 Jn. 2:15) the Greek words for "love" (agapeo) and "world" (kosmos) are exactly the same.

How do we deal with that?

Diane

2007/9/21 13:55Profile

Re:

Quote:

on our faces...

In Christ - Jim

2007/9/21 14:17
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

roadsign wrote:

And yet...

"For God so loved the world...." Jn. 3:16

In each verse (Jn 3:16, and 1 Jn. 2:15) the Greek words for "love" (agapeo) and "world" (kosmos) are exactly the same.

Diane

I've heard one man say that only God can love the world. If we were to love it we would be like it. God is the only one who can love the world and not be like it.

I think if you are looking for a technical answer, in John 3:16 he is referring to people and in 1 John he is referring to "the system." He qualifies his statement by saying, "All that is in the world..."

2007/9/21 14:42Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
If we were to love it we would be like it.

Surely this would not be the outcome of applying 1 Cor. 13.

I had always understood "agape" to be the ultimate in holy love, but have discovered that in the Bible "agapeo" can also refer to ungodly love.

So... maybe its about loving the world with a godly vs ungodly heart.

Diane

2007/9/21 15:47Profile
glaubemann

Germany ( Erlangen)

Re:

jimdied2sin

Thanks a lot
please in which book did John Wesley maked the commentary ?
Thanks

2007/9/21 17:21Profile

Re:

From his bible comments that come with esword. If anyone has never used esword, you can download it freely from here. This is a free and incredible tool to have... You can have multiple bible translations along with the greek and hebrew dictionaries plus commentaries from Godly men who differ in certain doctrines at your finger tips not to mention the devotional from Charles Spurgeon and other add ons.

I cant say enough good things about this software.

[url=http://www.e-sword.net/]http://www.e-sword.net/[/url]

Be blessed in Christ - Jim

2007/9/24 8:25

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy