SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : His Grace Is Sufficient

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

His Grace Is Sufficient

2 Cor. 12:1-21
It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. [2] I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven. [3] And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) [4] How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. [5] Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities. [6] For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me. [7] And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. [8] For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. [9] And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. [10] Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
[11] I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing. [12] Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds. [13] For what is it wherein ye were inferior to other churches, except it be that I myself was not burdensome to you? forgive me this wrong. [14] Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children. [15] And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. [16] But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile. [17] Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you? [18] I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother. Did Titus make a gain of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps? [19] Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. [20] For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: [21] And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

His Grace Is Sufficient
2 Corinthians 12:9
“That man’s life is to have abundant supply for all it needs, to be rich enough, safe enough, strong enough, and yet that all this abundance is not to come by or in itself, but is to be its portion, because the human life itself is part and parcel of the divine life, held closely and constantly upon the bosom of the life of God,—that is the great conception of humanity and its condition which these deep words involve. See how they must exclude … two ideas which are for ever haunting human souls,—the first, that there is no sufficiency for man.… Human life [is] a predestined failure: full of wants for which there is no supply.…
The second, that man carries his sufficiency within himself.… Man is satisfied in himself. Let him but put forth all his powers and he shall supply all his own needs and answer all his own questions.
And then among these everlasting wailings and boastings, in the midst of this self-pity and self-conceit, the voice of God comes down declaring, “Nay, both are wrong: you must be satisfied, but you must be satisfied in me … ”
Phillips Brooks, Sermons Preached in English Churches.

Can we say "His grace is sufficient for me"?
Does our life show that it is?
Can the world recognize His grace in us?

2007/9/21 5:08Profile

Re: His Grace IS Sufficient

Much appreciated Brother.
His Grace IS Sufficient - even when we don't feel it.
Your ending questions can condemn one who is still in the "besought-ing" stage.
I woke up this morning feeling like I had been hit by a 3/4 ton pick-up.
Notice, I didn't say Mack truck. ;-) Do have those days also, but my second thought was, "How are others waking up this morning?" Say, in Africa, China, India,the Hospital, etc..
Your last question helped. When I'm alone, I'm not distracted from this 'thorn' or whatever it is -- but when out in ministry, I've found His Grace absolutely mind-defying. Then I get back into the vehicle and "it" hits again.
Asking The Lord to just allow His Grace to continue when in public - and then when back home - then we can go on like Jeremiah did at the end of chpt. 20. And then He can ask again - "How are others waking up this morning?"

Teach us to number our days. None of us knows how we will wake up tomorrow and how we will respond to "it".

Truly appreciated this post Brother.
A Good spiritual thermometer.

2007/9/21 13:31
pastorfrin

Re:

Hi HE_Reigns,

You are much welcome.

If we could only grasp the reality of His grace, we would live in victory in our most difficult situations.
I have had to work physically hard this week and have come home totally worn out. Each morning I have asked for strength to be able to get through the day and as the week progressed I have become stronger.
This is the same process that we must go through in our spirit; each trial and tribulation, each temptation, as we turn to His grace for strength, we become stronger in our dependence on Him and thus it becomes natural to depend on His grace.
When we pray each day thy will be done, it must be through His grace that we accept what His will is for us. We must believe in our hearts that His grace is sufficient in every situation in our lives or we will live outside of His grace, and that is a most miserable way to live.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/9/21 20:11Profile
Logic

Re: His Grace Is Sufficient

Quote:
pastorfrin wrote:
[8] For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. [9] And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. [10] Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Notice, it is only after seeking God and when His word comes, that we will be asured that HIS grace is suficiant.

Paul did not come to know His Grace is Sufficient untill after he prayed.

2007/9/23 10:40Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

Quote:

Logic wrote:
Quote:
pastorfrin wrote:
[8] For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. [9] And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. [10] Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Notice, it is only after seeking God and when His word comes, that we will be asured that HIS grace is suficiant.

Paul did not come to know His Grace is Sufficient untill after he prayed.

Hi Logic,
If we could only grasp the reality of His grace, we would live in victory in our most difficult situations.
I have had to work physically hard this week and have come home totally worn out. Each morning I have asked for strength to be able to get through the day and as the week progressed I have become stronger.
This is the same process that we must go through in our spirit; each trial and tribulation, each temptation, as we turn to His grace for strength, we become stronger in our dependence on Him and thus it becomes natural to depend on His grace.
[color=0000FF]When we pray each day thy will be done, it must be through His grace that we accept what His will is for us. We must believe in our hearts that His grace is sufficient in every situation in our lives or we will live outside of His grace, and that is a most miserable way to live.[/color]

Yes Brother we must pray and then accept His grace as being sufficient for us.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/9/23 13:35Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

Certainly some good points here. Meeting with God and involving Him in our daily lives, even the little things is following biblical wisdom no doubt.
I may have misunderstood, but it seemed to me that the implication is that for us to recieve grace, we needed to ask for it.
To me, that is not what I'm understanding Paul to say. I think He is saying that anytime we come up short in our works, abilities, good will, and we do this all the time, His grace is there to smooth things out and make the way straight. This grace was made available on Calvary and is always applicable to the believer, whether we realize it or not.
There seems to be such a "works" oriented mindset these days. Sometimes it can be very subtle. I think it's dangerous to think we ever have anything to "bargain with God" except our faith. For without faith, it is impossible to please God. That faith is in Jesus Christ and what He has already done, not anything we could ever do to measure up.
So Jesus is telling Paul that his favor with God is "unmerited" as all grace. We are either saved and sanctified by it through faith, or we are not saved.

In His love,

"O"

2007/9/24 7:33Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

O wrote:

Quote:

“I may have misunderstood, but it seemed to me that the implication is that for us to recieve grace, we needed to ask for it.”

Yes O, you misunderstood.

When we pray each day thy will be done, it must be through His grace that we accept what His will is for us. We must believe in our hearts that His grace is sufficient in every situation in our lives or we will live outside of His grace, and that is a most miserable way to live.

Yes Brother we must pray and then accept His grace as being sufficient for us. This is not saying we pray for grace, we pray for His will to be done in us and then put our trust in His grace as being sufficient, so we will accept His will in our lives.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/9/25 18:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy