SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : They Sold Their Souls for Rock N' Roll

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

They Sold Their Souls for Rock N' Roll

Have any of you ever seen the documentary from Fight the Good Fight Ministries titled, "They Sold Their Souls for Rock N' Roll"? You can check out a clip of it and check out the other stuff they have at http://www.goodfight.org/.

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because after watching quite a few movies lately, I'm noticing that in more and more movies, there's a reference to homosexuality or there's a gay character. I think on the documentary they quoted some ancient Greek philospher that talked about how to change a society's standards. I think he said something to the extent of slowly and gradually introducing an idea, and eventually that society would end up accepting it as a way of living... something like that. So I was just realizing, or I have been, that they keep slipping this gay stuff in the media. It's pretty scary to think that pretty soon people aren't going to be shocked anymore if they see two people of the same sex kissing in public, or something to that effect.

So what do you guys think about this? And I don't just mean homosexuality, but our society's morals in general. And I do realize that you all aren't in the US. It would be interesting to hear how it is in other parts of the world.

2004/5/17 14:19Profile
andrewjames

vermont

Re: They Sold Their Souls for Rock N' Roll

Hey kids,
it seems to me that this country is just going to Hell in a handbasket. At this point it wouldnt suprise me in the least to see things get worse.
I think all we can really do is pray and keep our eyes focused on the King and not get caught up in worldy entertainment.
Hopefully hearing and seeing things like this will break our hearts seeing Gods creation destroyed by the enemy and move us to pray, Jesus died for the sinners to bless his Fathers heart.

2004/5/17 14:24Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

I agree, that we need to pray. I think us as Christians need to also be careful that we don't get watered down in standards with the rest of the world. I mean, I'll be honest, I find myself laughing at gay people on movies like "Father of the Bride" or "Win a Date With Tad Hamilton", just to name a couple. But should I be entertained by that? Should I laugh?

A good thing to remember is... okay, I can't find the verse. I've been looking forever and I don't have the convenience of PC Study Bible. Well, parapharased, love the world, but don't be a part of it. What verse is that?

2004/5/17 14:43Profile
andrewjames

vermont

A higher standard

umm sorry dude not sure
i think it says we must be in the world but not of it.
also i was listening to leonard ravenhill one time and he said something just phenomenal. Entertainment is a substitute for the joy of the Lord. Man it steals our time, we can never that back. it is our most precious comodity, and when we give it to God his heart leaps because we have freely chosen to give something to Him.
I am not going to pretend that i don't liek to be entertained. I love baseball and video games and movies, but these things are fleeting and passing away.

2004/5/17 14:46Profile
moreofHim

Re: movies, etc...

The wonderful thing about growing in Christ and becoming 'more of Him' and less of ourselves- is that we lose a tast or desire for the world's ways. The world's entertainment, the world's views, the world's political stances, the world's everything. You get to the point where your only really concerned with the His kingdom and how 'such and such' affects it.

I have probably seen 2 movies at the theatre this year- don't care if I ever go again. We ruled out all 'R' movies 2 years ago. And now we are finding ourselves buying and renting old movies like 'The Hiding place' and old Bible movies, etc...

I still have to say that I did see "Gladiator" and even though I hid my eyes during the violence- it was an awsome movie with some wonderful parable-type messages.

I really noticed that when you're away from all of that for awhile and then go back to it- at first your appalled- and then it is easy to lower your standards a little bit again. It seems to blur the lines you've let the Holy Spirit draw for you.

Just some thoughts.

But as for the whole gay issue and moral decline-I would say a great big (with tears) "watch out Sodom- here comes the U.S.A."

In Him, Chanin

2004/5/17 14:58Profile
moreofHim

Re: entertainment

Andy,

Quote:
Entertainment is a substitute for the joy of the Lord

I think of this all the time and it's really true. I remember about a year or so ago, we would go see movies because we were bored and wanted to escape reality for awhile. That's just a crutch though. We really should go straight to the Lord for these needs. Spend time with Him, de-stress in Him, relax in Him, escape with Him.

It's still a temptation sometimes because we have given so much other stuff up. It's seemed like the only thing left to do that we could just relax and unwind. Well, we're learning to relax and unwind in His presence amidst our little family.

2004/5/17 15:04Profile
matthew

Re:

if you want to access the bible on your PC, just go to www.gospelcom.net/bible (it's a bible gateway sight) it really a quite versatile sight that is a great resource to me...

I think the verse(s) you were thinking of are 1 cor 5:9-11

I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

or maybe...

John 17:10-17

10All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be one as we are one. 12While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. 13"I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.

matthew

2004/5/17 15:20Profile
andrewjames

vermont

Re: Bible program

I have found that esword works really well and is free!!!
it also has a daily devoitional written by spurgeon.

2004/5/17 15:22Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The reason why I'm bringing this up is because after watching quite a few movies lately, I'm noticing that in more and more movies, there's a reference to homosexuality or there's a gay character.

Sister Yolanda, I am really feeling these days that if we are going to call ourselves Christians we need to really check ourselves and think should we be watching TV and movies? Why should we entertain ourselves with the things people who are unsaved, dead [i]in[/i] their sins, and on their way literally to hell? My joys should not be the same as their joys! Sure in life we all have the same emotions and conversation and experiences which are normal to all human nature. But in the area of what really matters to us and what we fill our hearts and minds with? should it not be with things from above? One dear brother Jesse Morrel shared that he doesnt mind watching TV cause there's lots of good things to watch, but he has a rule, whenever there is an obsenity, vulgarity, blasphemy of Gods name, lewdness, he says he changes the channel. The funny thing is before he knows it he is gone through all the channels. To watch these movies and most TV we [b]do[/b] have to comprimise!

Quote:
I agree, that we need to pray. I think us as Christians need to also be careful that we don't get watered down in standards with the rest of the world. I mean, I'll be honest, I find myself laughing at gay people on movies like "Father of the Bride" or "Win a Date With Tad Hamilton", just to name a couple. But should I be entertained by that? Should I laugh?

Amen you should'nt. We should be weeping. :cry:

Quote:
But as for the whole gay issue and moral decline-I would say a great big (with tears) "watch out Sodom- here comes the U.S.A."

What a Statment! Sister Chanin you are right on point there [i]is[/i] going to be a landslide of immorality and depravity that will [i]make[/i] Sodom and Gommorah blush! How long can the Lord hold back His hand of judgement. I am quite saddened even the way I am living my christian life in retrospect. As Leonard Ravenhill said: Its time we get serious about being serious about revival? well are we?

2004/5/17 15:26Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
I am really feeling these days that if we are going to call ourselves Christians we need to really check ourselves and think should we be watching TV and movies? Why should we entertain ourselves with the things people who are unsaved, dead in their sins, and on their way literally to hell?

Amen brother! I am starting to hate more and more TV and secular movies,as my walk with God growing! I believe that this is a work of God in my life. I am convienced in my heart that He is sad when His children are watching such dirty stuffs, directly inspired from hell!

Cor 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

When you are to watch something ask yourself: Is this will make me more closer to God? More holy? Will cause me to hate sin more? If not.. turn it off!

2004/5/17 16:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy