SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why did Jesus do this?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Why did Jesus do this?

Greetings

Something was shared with me recently and I am trying to understand
here is the verse below...

5Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,” 27and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
John 19:25-27

Why did Jesus give Mary to be cared for by some one outside of the family(blood relation)
Jesus had physical brothers (James, Joseph, Simon and Judas, and sisters) that He TOTALLY usurped, taking away their physical mother! Jesus gave his mother Mary to a NON-relative, while his biological siblings and her very children were still alive and in their twenties and thirties! Can we find an answer to this in the Word??

Thanks for any insights
God Bless
Maryjane

2007/9/17 17:08Profile
psalm1

Re: Why did Jesus do this?

maryJane, I believe Jesus was simply providing for his mother.
There is a place in scripture where they told Jesus your mother and brothers are outside. and Jesus replied Who is my mother and brethern? and he pointed to those that were with him and said " Behold my mother and bretern"
Jesus established many things.
Now you as a christian have new priorities.You also have a new family. This new family is the most awesome thing.
.....David

2007/9/17 17:25Profile

Hi MaryJane,

I agree with psalm1's answer and would add more pointers.

1. We know that Mary 'believed' in Jesus in a way which His brothers did not [i]at the time of His crucifixion.

2. This is confirmed by the fact that she was in the upper room praying for 10 days before the Holy Spirit was poured out (and although we don't know that His brothers were [i]not[/i] there, we are sure of their previous unbelief).

3. I believe John the disciple may have been related to Jesus physically, because he knew members of the High Priest's household, and we know that Mary His mother was cousin to Elisabeth, John the Baptist's mother who was of the same priestly descent as her husband.

4. Here is an interesting section in which it appears John has spent the night with kinsmen, and has to choose with whom he is going to stand (them or the other disciples) when there is a sudden moment of decision.

Acts 4
5 And it came to pass, on the next day, that their rulers, elders, and scribes,
6 as well as Annas the high priest, Caiaphas, [u]John[/u], and Alexander, and as many as were of the family of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.

Why was John [i]there[/i]....? Maybe there are other explanations.

And, I realise that by this time, he has been taking care of Mary since the time of the cross... But, can you imagine what it would have been like [u]for Mary[/u] - aware of these men during her growing years - having to receive their 'hospitality' [i][b]after[/b][/i] they'd had such an instrumental part in her son's death? I'd be sick!

EDIT: Now that I've written all this, I also see it might have been very politically incorrect for Jesus brothers and sisters to have been seen to be siding with anyone - even their mother - who accepted Jesus' ministry and true identity.

Jesus knew His mother would be safe with John and that John had already made the necessary choices about following Him. Perhaps by giving her to John's care, He solved far more many questions that others might have had to face prematurely under that circumstance, than simply about her well-being. Jesus was also looking after the interests of many others.

2007/9/18 3:22
reformer

Re:

Another thought, being how the catholics worship Mary, could Jesus, separating himself from Mary as a way to show His Deity?

Not saying that she wasn't important to Jesus, but those times where Jesus told others His family is everyone that believes, He was pointing out something greater to everyone, that He is God.

Because many look to Mary as Deity.

2007/9/18 7:47Profile

Re:

Quote:
Dorcas said:Acts 4
5 And it came to pass, on the next day, that their rulers, elders, and scribes,
6 as well as Annas the high priest, Caiaphas, John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the family of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.

Why was John there....? Maybe there are other explanations.

Hi Linn

Good point that John might have been a relative. Never thought of that, but it's very probable.

Is there any evidence that the John who was with the High Priest was John the apostle? John was a popular name at the time, it could well have been a different man.

I find it interesting that the Bible has several examples where one other than the eldest son or nearest relative was chosen as "firstborn", instead of the one who was actually the firstborn and had (in theory) first right and duty as "go-el" (nearest kinsman, as in the Book of Ruth; Boaz wasn't the nearest, but the real next of kin refused the duty). Isaac was Abraham's second son, Jacob was second-born, David was the youngest, Ephraim, the younger son of Joseph, was chosen above his older brother...

So Jesus, who was Firstborn in a way that they only dimly understood at the time, delegated that status, which included responsibility for a widowed mother, to John.

Good thread

Jeannette

2007/9/19 7:00

Re:

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:
I find it interesting that the Bible has several examples where one other than the eldest son or nearest relative was chosen as "firstborn", instead of the one who was actually the firstborn ).

Also Solomon who was chosen as king after David was one of the youngest (if not the youngest - I can't remember offhand).

But (because of his later unfaithfulness to God?), Jesus was actually descended from Solomon's brother, Nathan. Joseph was descended from Solomon, but Mary from Prince Nathan.

Thus God fulfilled His promise to David that there would always be one to sit on his throne!

But Mary was also, as was said, from the priestly line.

Jesus - Priest and King - by human inheritance as well as by Divine Right.

That's amazing!

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/9/19 7:09

MaryJane,

Were these answers any help?

2007/9/21 14:47
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Dorcas

the context in which this verse was first shared with me was in an article where Jesus view on physical family was being explained as opposed to Spiritual family? In the article the emphases was that Jesus saw only His spiritual family and not physical family, that is why He gave Mary(His mother) to the disciple. That our "real, true" family is no longer our physical family but rather those brothers and sisters who are in Jesus. I was/am praying about and trying to understand this??? But thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts. It has helped me to look deeper

God Bless
Maryjane

2007/9/21 15:30Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy