SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Preacher draws crowd at USU, saying ‘Mormonism is not true’

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Preacher draws crowd at USU, saying ‘Mormonism is not true’

[img]http://images.townnews.com/hjnews.townnews.com/content/articles/2007/09/06/news/news01.jpg[/img]

[i]Street preacher Eli Brayley, talks to students in front of Utah State UniversityÕs Taggert Student Center on Wednesday. (Meegan M. Reid/Herald Journal)[/i]

Holding a worn, leather-bound Bible, itinerant preacher Eli Brayley raised his hand and shouted, “Mormonism is not true.”

Gradually, he was encircled by about 50 students outside Utah State University’s Taggart Student Center. Many folded their arms and frowned as they watched the neatly dressed man lay out his views. A few sat on the ground, settling in for a long debate on religion, evil, Christ and the afterlife.

“Wait, what about baptism?” one shouted.

“What about the apostles?” another yelled.

“I’ll get to that,” Brayley said, before returning to his main thrust — that the Bible is inviolable; faith is more important than “works”; Mormons aren’t really Christians; and everyone should embrace Jesus as a born-again Christian.

Richard Hart idly rolled a cigarette as he listened.

“I’m having a great time,” he said. “I love religion. It’s one of my favorite things. I think it’s good that he’s here. In Utah, it’s such a rare thing to hear a different viewpoint.”

The 20-year-old history and anthropology major said he was raised “aggressively Mormon” but now considers himself spiritual.

Hart said that he felt many of the LDS students in the crowd were being impolite to Brayley. However, Hart also felt that Brayley should not be attacking Mormonism specifically.

“I don’t think it is helping his cause,” Hart said.

Accounting student Craig Hibbard agreed.

“I think it’s going nowhere,” Hibbard said. “He only answers the questions that he can answer. He ignores the others. I’m just standing here because I don’t have anything else to do.”

Hibbard, a 24-year-old accounting junior, has attended USU for three years and has never seen another preacher on campus.

He welcomed the dialogue, but felt his LDS religion was being attacked.

“He has something against Mormonism,” Hibbard said. “It’s sad. I don’t know why he has something inside him that makes him against Mormons.”

Brayley’s colleague, Evan Schaible, said the two felt Mormonism needed to be addressed because it is Utah’s dominant religion. The two 21-year-olds also do not support Islam, Buddhism or other religions that they feel do not strictly follow the Bible.

“When people embrace Christ, they will want to go to a certain kind of church, one that has only the Bible with nothing added or taken away. If someone is perfected, they will leave the Mormon Church.”

Brayley and Schaible have brought that message to college campuses across the country as members of the born-again Christian organization Open Air Outreach. The group’s Web site (www.openairoutreach) states that they are “Christian laymen who utterly refuse to merely go to church rather than be the church. ... Through biblical methods of evangelism we bring the message of eternal life to a dying world.”

Last week, Brayley and Schaible visited the University of Utah, where a crowd of about 200 listened to their opinions.

They arrived at USU Tuesday and plan to stay through Thursday.

Brad Scheelke, owner of Logan’s Oasis Bookstore invited them and is giving them a place to stay.

Scheelke also gave away 30 to 40 Christian books from a folding table near Brayley.

Asked why he wanted to bring the two preachers, Scheelke said he wanted to expose Utahns to born-again Christianity.

Next year, he hopes to invite them again, though he added, “We never know what the future holds.”

read many comments on this article here:
http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2007/09/06/news/news01.txt

2007/9/8 15:20Profile
heartablaze

Re: Preacher draws crowd at USU, saying ‘Mormonism is not true’

I hope and pray that God will use this for his glory! May the people of the LDS church examine their beliefs due to this and follow the real Christ.

2007/9/8 15:26Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Praise God, that's awesome.

2007/9/8 15:30Profile
theopenlife

Re:

By the way, Greg, I posted a video of David preaching on my blog. It is from this past week.

2007/9/8 15:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I hope and pray that God will use this for his glory! May the people of the LDS church examine their beliefs due to this and follow the real Christ.

I am very encouraged that this is Eli Brayley a young 21 year old believer that has been staying with me for the summer in Victoria, Canada doing evangelism and outreach. He runs a website ministry: www.timothyministry.com he went on this trip to Utah and God has really moved so he is staying longer, do pray for him to be used further of God.

2007/9/8 15:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
By the way, Greg, I posted a video of David preaching on my blog. It is from this past week.

Thats great brother, keep harvesting the fields there in california, may the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His sufferings.

Let's keep praying for brother Eli as he preaches there next week.

2007/9/8 17:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Preacher draws crowd at USU, saying ‘Mormonism is not true’

I suppose some will come on board here and say Bro. Bayley is being too confrontational. To this I say people need to be challenged out of their comfort zone: it needs to be shaken. As long as they are comfortable there, God cannot break through.

When I shared at CPC I experienced a sense of satisfaction if a client walked out angry. I would much rather have seen this then one who was totally ambivilent. The angry person had her comfort zone challenged and she knew it and did not like it, hence the anger. The ambivilent one on the other hand had chosen long time ago to ignore the obvious so in effect had a seared conscience. Now this is serious. Dreadfully serious. (Now let me clarify: I did not deliberately set out to anger people. This resulted from presenting the Gospel and how it impacts ones' lifestyle.)

Challenging the sinner may result in you losing your head and it being placed on a charger, but that would be more preferable to keeping sinners comfortable while they are on the way to hell, from whom there is no escape!

ginnyrose

2007/9/13 9:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy