SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : FRUIT: The Evidence of Communion With God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

FRUIT: The Evidence of Communion With God

[b]FRUIT: The True Evidence of Communion With The Spirit[/b]
The consequences of a loss of fellowship (Part 1)
[size=xx-small]Robert Wurtz II[/size]

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Romans 8:9)

When Adam fell in the Garden of Eden man lost out with God. Man was no longer in fellowship or communion with God. Not long after Sin entered God came looking for Adam. God desired that fellowship and worship that He had created man to enjoy with Him. Man was created to please God (Rev. 4:11). But Sin entered and corrupted the relationship.

Man had sinned and God had warned of sin consequences. God told Adam literally that in the day he did eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil that dying thou dost die (Gen 2:17 YLT). Ron Bailey has pointed out that when the Hebrew language wants to emphasize something it 'doubles' the words up. We read of a King of kings (the ultimate King), Lord of lords (the ultimate Lord), Holy of Holies (the ultimate Holy place) and the Song of songs (the ultimate Song). For Adam, the penalty for disobedience was "dying thou dost die"- this is the [i]ultimate death[/i]. Death in scripture means separation. When you 'die' your soul and spirit separate from the body. In this case, the penalty is eternal [i]separation[/i] from God.

Man was now corrupted by a sinful nature and separated from God. Those were his two primary problems. God desired fellowship- but man was unholy. God could not exist in a relationship with man because of man’s spirit of disobedient (EPh. 2). So God had to have a way to remove man’s offense. This was done by the blood of Christ upon the Cross. Worse still is that man no longer desired fellowship with God. Adam hid from God and so have all ever since. Man does not seek after God- God seeks after man (Romans 3:10-18).

God seeks to be reconciled to man and enter into fellowship or communion with Him again. But men generally do not want God. Why? An alien spirit had entered our race and man would find his [i]fulfillment[/i] in carrying out the works of the flesh (Galatians 5) and not in communion with God. Man would be fulfilled by pleasing himself/herself rather than God. Man because of their corrupted hearts love sin and this world. Their 'meat' is to rebel against God. But God still sought after man and worked to have some relationship with him. God said he would not always strive with man- because man is also flesh.

Yet God gave man a conscience that gave man a sense of fulfillment in doing what was right. The conscience lies down and is at peace when we do what we know to be right. When we cooperate with God’s dealings our conscience [u]affirms[/u] us. The impenitent heart hates to serve God- but the conscience always gives its approval. Therefore man is at war within- a sort of split personality. The one side is pleased to obey God (conscience) and the other is pleased to obey self (impenitent heart).

Not only do sinners hate to serve God- they hate God Himself (Romans 1:30). They also hated their fellow man. They were lovers of themselves. This attitude ultimately led to an earth filled with violence and gross immorality in Genesis 6.God repented that He had made man on the earth. But God had a plan of restoration that would come about in steps. This process reached its pinnacle with the coming of Christ and the preaching of the Gospel. Man, for the first time would be brought into real communion with God again.

2007/9/8 12:00Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: FRUIT: The Evidence of Communion With God

The Need To 'Hem' Man in (Part 2)

There was a time when light did not exist in the world at the level that it does today. Scripture says that for a time God had 'winked' at or ‘overlooked’ man’s ignorance of God, but now He commands men everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30). Why? Because God was showing forth the light of God in the person of Jesus Christ. Man would have the means necessary to truly know God and come back into a right relationship with Him. God was making a genuine and functional offer for reconciliation. This took man's accountability before God to a whole new level. No longer would God 'wink' at wickedness- He has destroyed their excuses to the very last one.

This is not inconsistent with other covenants in that those who would enter into them were expected to abide by the conditions of them. Men have always been expected to walk in the revelation of the Light that they [i]have[/i]. They are expected to walk in God's will for them as best as they know it. With knowledge and ability comes responsability.

Unlike the Laws of Moses that were only given to the Jews, the universal will of God in this dispensation is that all men repent, be converted, that the times of refreshing will come from the presence of the Lord (Acts 3:19). The summary of this will is found in two basic commandments: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And thy neighbor as thy self. God had worked to hem in man’s selfish, sinful heart with a series of [i]commands[/i]. The commands did not change the heart- they merely [u]restrained[/u] his corruption. They could not produce fruit. This is why we never read in Galatians 5 of “the fruit of the Law”.

But all this would change with the Gospel. God offers man a full-on remedy for His condition that breaks down the wall of separation between them and God and allows real fellowship again. But do men really want that fellowship? The evidence will be shown to be in the fruit of the Spirit- which mainly deal with man’s behaviors in their relationship with each other. Fruit is evidence of the Holy Spirit working internally.

2007/9/8 12:09Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

The 'Means' of Hemming Man in (Part 3)

God had overlooked ignorance but not today. Why? Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead (Acts 17:31). Man’s ongoing sin after having heard the Gospel would be ongoing proof of his/her rejection of God’s offer for reconciliation and subsequent fellowship. Man is forced to choose either fellowship with God or fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness (Eph. 5:10).

God has made His will known to us and we are obligated to walk in that will. The progression of God's revelation of His will is interesting. The Jews had codified God's known or revealed will into sets of laws. By tradition we learn that there have always been 'standards' among God's people. There were laws that were simply 'understood'. The Jews refer to the first of these as the 'Noachide Laws'. These laws could never bring about God's purpose. They were only intended to bring us to Christ and to restrain man's wickedness. He gave these laws because He loved His creation.

FROM ADAM TO MOSES: The Seven Noachide Laws.

1) Belief in and worship or prayer to "idols" is forbidden (Idolatry).
2) Blaspheming (cursing) God is forbidden.
3) Do Not Murder
4) Do Not Steal
5) Do not Fornicate
6) Do not eat the limb of a living animal (abstain from blood)
7) Establish a justice system to administer these laws honestly.

It was believed that these 7 laws were passed down by oral tradition dating back to Genesis 2:16, 17. Tradition exalts man when he is obedient as supreme over the creation. When man is disobedient man is lower than a gnat. The picture of a gnat being one of extreme selfishness- as the gnat consumes throughout its life but never eliminates waste.

FROM MOSES TO CHRIST: The familiar Decalogue (10 Words or Commandments) was the next stage in the revelation of God's will. This is an extended version of the 7 Noachide laws.

Added to Noachide was:

1) Honour your father and mother
2) Keep the Sabbath
3) No graven images
4) No false witness
5) Do not covet

Removed from Noachide was:

1) Do not eat the limb of a living animal (abstain from blood)
2) Establish a justice system to administer these laws honestly.

Then the Torah was given that was later codified into 365 Don'ts (Negative commands corresponding to the number of days in a year) and 248 Do's (Positive commandments) this is the 613 Laws of the OT. The first is "be fruitful and multiply" the second is circumcision, the third is a command not to eat the sinew of the thigh, the fourth is a command to mark the beginning of months, and so on.

2007/9/8 12:13Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

The Bringing in of a Better Hope (part 4)

For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope [did]; by the which we draw nigh unto God. (Heb. 7:19)

Prior to Acts 2 men were not 'expected' to live a life in the Spirit because the Spirit had not yet been given. If we walk in the Spirit we are not under the law. I might insert here that some of the Jews view Acts 15 as a modified version of the Noachide laws that were to apply to the Gentiles since time immemorial. Yet, I am not sure the full revelation of the Spirit filled life had yet been fully understood at this time. But Paul makes it clear in Romans 8:9 that those that do not have the Spirit are not Christ's.

Matthew 3:10 marked a whole new era in mankind. The AXE was already laid to the root of the tree and every tree that did not bring forth good fruit would be cast into the fire. The FRUIT is the fruit of the Spirit- the evidence of God's indwelling presence. I would seem that the axe is 'laid to the root' because the Spirit would soon be given and those that had not received Him had either not heard that there be a Holy Spirit or they were resisting the Holy Ghost and could not receive Him until they quit their rebellion. This is an important fact to consider.

Why would those who had heard the good news of the Gospel and the offer of reconciliation to God continue to resist the Holy Ghost? An exception probably ought to be made for ignorance, but what about the 'resisting' of the Holy Ghost that Steven spoke of? Can a man be justified and resist the Holy Ghost at the same time? God comes offering man the priveledge of 'knowing' Him and His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true definition of Eternal Life (John 17:3). God offers Himself- and men reject the offer.

It would seem to me that the operation of the Holy Spirit in bringing conviction of sin, etc. is much like our Lord's dealing with the rich young ruler. He went away sorrowful when Jesus put his finger on the controversy. I would contend that the Holy Spirit operates in this capacity in dealing with men and shows them the point of controversy and resistance that keeps them from being filled with the Spirit. They remain under 'conviction' so long as they do not submit to God. The evidence of this is that they show no real evidence of fruit of the Spirit afterwards. They go away sorrowful instead of joyful.

2007/9/8 12:21Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

The most WONDERFUL offer ever made (Part 5)

And this is why I think things are very serious in our times. We have opportunity that those in the Old Testament did not have. We can come into a real communion with God. We can experience to some degree that walking with God that Adam knew. We can have the communion with the Spirit that Paul spoke of in the last verse of II Corinthians. To trod that privilege under foot, in my mind, is a most dangerous thing. The reason being is that the person has actually rejected God [u]and[/u] Eternal Life.

Why? Because Eternal Life is not the same as immortality. The souls in hell are immortal. They have an eternal [i]existence[/i]. Eternal Life and Heaven are not the same thing either. Many want Heaven (as they perceive it to be) but they misunderstand Eternal LIFE. What really is Eternal Life? Is it streets of gold and mansions bright? Is it an eternal existence in personal happiness; i.e., an eternal expression of the selfish life that many already live? What is Heaven really all about? What is Eternal Life?

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. (John 17:3)

What is the greatest expression of the reality of John 17:3 in this life? It is communion with the Holy Spirit. Eternal death is eternal separation from God (death means separation). Eternal life is eternal communion with God. We know this 'Eternal Life' this side of Heaven through the indwelling presence of the Holy Ghost.

2007/9/8 12:27Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

CARNALITY: THE ABSENCE OF COMMUNION WITH GOD
(Part 6)

The Corinthian church is often referred to as the 'carnal' church. Like the church(s) at Galatia they had 'begun' in the Spirit. Can a person be perfected by anything other than the indwelling presence of God? Can a person be perfected by 'fleshly' efforts? Perhaps they can discipline themselves to counterfeit certain characteristics of a Christian? Maybe so; but none can ever consistently counterfeit the FRUIT of the Spirit. Discipline and ascetic living will not produce the fruit of the Spirit. It can only come from communion with God.

Was this the bottom line problem at Corinth? I think it interesting that it is the last thing we have record of Paul telling them.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and [u]the communion of the Holy Ghost[/u], be with you all. Amen.

So we have a unique advantage as Christians today that the Old Testament Saints never enjoyed. We can and must decide here and now if we want Eternal Life. If one does not desire Eternal Life (communion with the Holy Ghost) now; why would they want to go to Heaven? Heaven will be the fullest expression of communion with God. That is what makes heaven- Heaven. What? GOD is there! What makes hell- Hell? God is [u]not[/u] there. They are cut off from communion with God forever.

Would I be out of line to suggest that God offers us a real opportunity to taste and see if the Lord He is good? A sort of 'trial run'. Men in this life have a chance to taste of the heavenly gift, be made partakers of the Holy Ghost, be enlightened, and forknow the powers of the world to come. What will they do with this foretaste of glory divine? Will they savor Him?

2007/9/8 12:36Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Declining the offer... (Part 7)

When the Holy Spirit comes in at regeneration we are brought into genuine communion with God. This is the privilege of the New Testament. So if Romans 8:9 is allowed to stand on it's own feet we almost have to conclude that for those who have had a genuine offer to be brought back into communion with God (to have the Spirit of Christ) the ones receiving the Spirit are Christ's and the rest are not.

There is only one real evidence for having received the Holy Spirit and it is the [i]fruit of the Spirit[/i]. Jesus said that we shall know them by their fruits. Many in that day will cry LORD, LORD and declare all the giftings and operations of the Spirit that tok place in their life when God used them. But these 'giftings' validate noone. Baalam's ass spoke prophetically to Baalim. If the people had held their peace when Jesus entered the city the rocks would have cried out in praise. Are rocks children of God?

The first question is; have you begun in the Spirit? This is the real question in the letter to the Galatians. The second question is; are you walking in the Spirit? Have you savored your communion with God or have you traded it for communion with Sin and this world? The evidence, again, will be found in the fruit of our lives. We are known by our fruit. When the Spirit is present the fruit is present with Him. This is what man was lacking that led the world into such deep sin that God destroyed it in Genesis. No communion with God= maximum degredation. Man needed that communion with God to rightly relate to his/her fellow man.

It is the Holy Spirit that is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession (Eph. 1). Folk speak of heaven? The 'earnest' is a sample of more to come. Earnest money is a small portion of money meant to guarantee a larger payment later. It is evidence of commitment in a transaction. The Holy Spirit in our lives is evidence that God means business in saving us.

We get a foretaste of glory divine in our communion with the Spirit. What a marvelous thing! None had known what we can know today. Hence, a a turning point took place in Matthew 3:10. NOW the AXE is laid to the root of the tree. Why now? Because NOW we have what we need to become what God wants us to be. And that 'what' the communion once again with God. The restoration of what Adam had lost.

Many want heaven but they don't want God. The evidence is their lack of communion which manifests in fruitless living. If a man reject the earnest of the inheritance (communion with God)- why look he for the inheritance? If he/she wish to simply avoid hell- and find a dwelling place of neither God [i]nor[/i] flame they will look in vain. There is no such place. Almost as if God has afforded man an opportunity to live in fellowship with Him to see if he/she would want Eternal Life. Demas comes to mind. It seems he went from fellowship with the world to fellowship with God and then forsook his relationship with God having loved this present world (II Timothy 4:10).

2007/9/8 12:48Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Eternal life

Dear Robert, this is just outstanding ...

2007/9/8 14:37Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

RobertW wrote:
The most WONDERFUL offer ever made (Part 5)

And this is why I think things are very serious in our times. We have opportunity that those in the Old Testament did not have. We can come into a real communion with God. We can experience to some degree that walking with God that Adam knew. We can have the communion with the Spirit that Paul spoke of in the last verse of II Corinthians. To trod that privilege under foot, in my mind, is a most dangerous thing. The reason being is that the person has actually rejected God [u]and[/u] Eternal Life.

Why? Because Eternal Life is not the same as immortality. The souls in hell are immortal. They have an eternal [i]existence[/i]. Eternal Life and Heaven are not the same thing either. Many want Heaven (as they perceive it to be) but they misunderstand Eternal LIFE. What really is Eternal Life? Is it streets of gold and mansions bright? Is it an eternal existence in personal happiness; i.e., an eternal expression of the selfish life that many already live? What is Heaven really all about? What is Eternal Life?

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. (John 17:3)

What is the greatest expression of the reality of John 17:3 in this life? It is communion with the Holy Spirit. Eternal death is eternal separation from God (death means separation). Eternal life is eternal communion with God. We know this 'Eternal Life' this side of Heaven through the indwelling presence of the Holy Ghost.

Thank you for this brother, it stirred my heart more then you can imagine, once again thank you

Christian

2007/9/8 14:45Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Dear Robert, this is just outstanding ...

God Bless Christian and Mike. This little blurb is part of a lesson I ministered on last month that I felt others might enjoy considering.

I have always wondered why the AXE is 'now' or 'already' laid to the root of the tree. Why now? What is different from other times? I began to see a connection between the Fruit of the Spirit and the communion with God that we know as Eternal Life.

I have seen folk come to the altar and appear to cry out to God when in reality they only seem to have stripped the tree of its thornes and briars. It didn't take long for those thorns to re-appear. Folk get dejected when they see a fruitless life. Some wonder if there even is a 'real' Christian.

I thought about why Moses never entered the promise land. Many know that he smote the rock. But God gave a commentary on why he was dealt with so harshly.

And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, [u]to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel[/u], therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them. (Numbers 20:12)

When folk take a flip attitude towards God and still call themselves Christians God is not sanctified in the eyes of sinners. This is why leaders need to be careful what they 'allow' in their lives and how they carry themselves. I believe when a Christian yields the fruit of the Spirit God will be sanctified in the eyes of this world.

2007/9/8 21:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy