SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The ENTIRE sermonindex website in your HAND???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The ENTIRE sermonindex website in your HAND???

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/ipodclassic.jpg[/img]

Saints,

This is a current possibility now with the release of the new 160gb ipod from apple.com. This is a project that I am praying about starting in the near future to offer the entire media database of over 14,000 audio and video sermons on the "single" ipod! SermonIndex would offer a pre-loaded ipod for quite near the same price that it is sold for.

I believe many saints, pastors, and ministry leaders could benefit greatly from this service! I would love to hear any ideas, comments and suggestions towards this topic.

Intresting idea none-theless.

2007/9/8 0:38Profile
poet

Longview WA

Re: The ENTIRE sermonindex website in your HAND???

I would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have dial-up and it takes me sometimes as long as 2 hours just to download a 45 minute sermon.
thats of course I dont get kicked off my connection.
Talk about a time saver.
Pleaseeeeeeeee make this happen. :-P

2007/9/8 1:35Profile

I am considering getting an ipod so I can listen to sermons on my 30 min. commute to and from work. This would definitely make that easier!

Have you worked out what amount of space required by all the media files on SI is? Would be interesting to hear.

On the same day the new line of ipods were released, another company announced a product that uses some pretty sophisticated new compression technology that allows you to at least double the amount of media you can put onto your ipod, with virtually no ill-effect to the sound quality. You can even control the amount of compression, and its been suggested that people speaking (e.g., audio books, sermons, etc.) would be the best candidate for the highest compression (up to 4x!) since people are less concerned about maintaining perfect, intricate sound quality. Here is the website: [url=http://www.shrinkmytunes.com/en_gb/]ShrinkMyTunes[/url]

Not sure how the licensing would work for a project like this, but it may definitely be worth checking out if it would save people from having to by the $399 160 gig model!

-K_DAY

2007/9/8 1:52
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Re:

Hehee. It's funny because last night I was in the prayer closet interceding for 2hrs straight on behalf of someone who has been struggling with personal devotions. This morning I'm at the supermarket about to pay for my items when this person rang my mobile phone:
"Hey Ben, which version of the NIV Audio Bible is cheaper? MP3 or CD?"
"I'd say mp3. Why?"
"I'm off to get an iPod. Yours is a 30GB, isn't it?" :-P

My main worry is video compatability; some of the files are in .WMV and even some of the mp4s don't work on my iPod.

2007/9/8 2:00Profile

And I thought my IPod was the "SermonIndex IPod".

Alas, mine only holds 30 GB and currently only has about 24GB of sermons...

Btw, Greg, you may be able to order custom-made shells for the IPods, too...

2007/9/8 2:01
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Have you worked out what amount of space required by all the media files on SI is? Would be interesting to hear.

Currently there is aproximately 150GB's on sermonindex, so it would easily fit on the 160GB ipod model.

Quote:
My main worry is video compatability; some of the files are in .WMV and even some of the mp4s don't work on my iPod.

Most of the work to make this project happen would be to "clean up" most of the files and add IDE tag information to the files that dont have proper labelling of "speaker" and description, etc. I would probably standardize the video files on sermonindex also and the audio files to ensure they are all the same "bit rate".

This is not a small job, I estimate 2-3 months FULL-time at least. But it would probably be worth it and is a good time to "clean up" sermonindex abit.

Quote:
And I thought my IPod was the "SermonIndex IPod".

:-) I thought it was too brother!!! you put my ipod to shame and I run sermonindex! I am going to look into any possible customizations with apple, maybe they will partner with me and get a player that is branded with sermonindex "somewhat"!!

2007/9/9 0:49Profile

Re:

Quote:
I thought it was too brother!!! you put my ipod to shame and I run sermonindex! I am going to look into any possible customizations with apple, maybe they will partner with me and get a player that is branded with sermonindex "somewhat"!!

I've seen a couple of websites in the past that sell custom IPod cases - not the third-party protective cases you can buy to strap your IPod to your arm or hip... the actual case holding the innards of the thing. Takes some surgery to replace it...

They can also replace the standard battery with one that lasts three times as long...

Ohhh... peripherals... the smell of silicon electronics wafting out of vacuum-sealed packages!

2007/9/9 3:18
MisterCheez

Colorado

Re:

This is an exciting idea!

The ID3 tags would be a major undertaking, but completely necessary. I wonder if there is a way to delegate some of the ID3 work (such as "you tag the Art Katz files, I'll tag Wilkerson"). This would kill two birds with one stone since it would be nice to have all the files on the site equipped with proper tagging.

I wonder if IPod is the best way to deliver the database? There must be a good number of people owning different types of MP3 players and computers who would love to receive the entire sermonindex file archive in one package. Might there be a way to package up the audio and video in a more generic format (i.e. download delivery ,cheap USB harddrive, etc) which could then be unpackaged and loaded onto any number of platforms?

Culturally, and practically the IPod is probably the best delivery method.

2007/9/10 12:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The ID3 tags would be a major undertaking, but completely necessary. I wonder if there is a way to delegate some of the ID3 work (such as "you tag the Art Katz files, I'll tag Wilkerson"). This would kill two birds with one stone since it would be nice to have all the files on the site equipped with proper tagging.

Brother,

Good suggestion, yes this is quite a undertaking but would improve the usability and quality of the sermonindex.net website and also at the same time offer the media on a great portable medium. I am sure if the work was done to prepare the database for the ipod it would also then easily be able to be put onto a "cheap USB hard drive" these are other ideas or even DVD's which now with blueray technology hold alot more!

2007/9/10 12:18Profile

Re:

Quote:
Brother,

Good suggestion, yes this is quite a undertaking but would improve the usability and quality of the sermonindex.net website and also at the same time offer the media on a great portable medium.

The tags definately would be MOST important. I just sold my ipod because if I wanted to listen to comps I had to look under genre nad I had comps, compilation, compilations, etc... and had to go through a lot of the same with speakers such as David Wilkerson vs Pastor Dave Wilkerson...

I actually ended up selling my ipod with voice recorder attachments and all and bought a cheap mp3 player and voice recorder for 1/10th of the price that is way more used friendly and the audio to record pulpit and street preaching seems just as good.

Anyway... I hope my comp/ilation/s example highlights the importance of using a common naming nomenclature for such a project.

God bless you bro.

Jim

2007/9/10 12:26

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy