SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : some Scriptures soundly refute the errors of the Calvinist TULIP:

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

some Scriptures soundly refute the errors of the Calvinist TULIP:

Here are some Scriptures soundly refute the errors of the Calvinist TULIP:

T = TOTAL INABILITY (Calvinism teaches the inability of man to choose Truth, but the Word of God teaches that God created man with the ability to reason, choose, and receive Truth):

Ephesians 2:8: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God."

Romans 10:17: "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

James 1:21: "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and RECEIVE with meekness the engrafted Word, which is able to save your souls."

Isaiah1:18: "Come now, and let us REASON together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

Deuteronomy 30:19: "I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore CHOOSE LIFE, that both thou and thy seed may live."

Joshua 24:15: "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, CHOOSE you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Psalm 119:30, 111, 173: "I have CHOSEN The Way of Truth: Thy Judgments have I laid before me....Thy Testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for They are the rejoicing of my heart....Let Thine hand help me; for I have chosen Thy Precepts."

John 1:12: "But as many as RECEIVED him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name."

2 Timothy 1:12: "...I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have COMMITTED unto him against that day."

U = UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION (Calvinism teaches that God selects those who are to be saved without any condition, but the Bible teaches that there is one condition to salvation: faith):

1 Peter 1:2: "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ..."

2 Thessalonians 2:13: "...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the Truth."

Luke 7:50: "... Thy faith hath saved thee ..."

Ephesians 2:8: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God."

L = LIMITED ATONEMENT (Calvinism teaches that Christ died only for the elect, but the Bible teaches that He died for all mankind):

Isaiah 53:6: "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us ALL."

1 Timothy 4:10: "For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of ALL MEN, specially of those that believe."

1 John 2:2: "And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of THE WHOLE WORLD."

Hebrews 2:9: "But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that He by the grace of God should taste death for EVERY MAN."

1 Timothy 2:4: "Who will have ALL MEN to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the Truth."

I = IRRESTABLE GRACE (Calvinism teaches that God's grace for salvation cannot be resisted, but the Word of God says it can be resisted):

Matthew 23:37: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and YE WOULD NOT!"

John 5:39-40: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And YE WILL NOT come to me, that ye might have life."

Acts 7:51: "Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always RESIST the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye."

Proverbs 1:24-26: "Because I have called, and YE REFUSED; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh."

Proverbs 29:1: "He, that being often reproved HARDENETH HIS NECK, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy."

P = PERSEVERANCE (The Bible teaches preservation of the saints; not perseverance of the saints):

Jude 1: "... to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and PRESERVED in Jesus Christ..."

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24: "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly: and I pray God your whole spirit and soul, and body be PRESERVED blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. "

John 10:27-29: "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life: and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all, and no man is able to pluck them out of my Fathers hand."

Colossians 3:3-4: "For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory."

Hebrews 7:25: "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them."

CONCLUSION:

Calvinism clearly errs from the teaching of the Word of God on all 5 points of it's TULIP. The logical conclusion of Calvinism is that God is an unfair respecter of persons who chooses people to salvation, not according to any standard that He established, but solely according to His will. This strikes at the love and justice of God, and rejects man's responsibility to choose and love his Creator.

Proverbs 24:23: "... It is not good to have respect of persons in judgment."

Acts 10:34-35: "... Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth Him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with Him."

John 6:28-29: "... What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? ... This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent.

Compiled by John Henry

2007/9/7 4:59Profile
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Re: some Scriptures soundly refute the errors of the Calvinist TULIP:

The use of words such as "ALL", "EVERYONE" and "THE WHOLE WORLD" to refute Limited Atonement on the grounds that they appear to refer to absolutely everyone is simply bad hermeneutics on the grounds that the use of such words in scripture is not always within a universal context.

E.g.

1In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that ALL THE WORLD should be registered. 2This was the first registration when Quirinius was governor of Syria. 3And all went to be registered, each to his own town.
Luke 2:1-3

How far did the census go? Did it extend to China, Australia, the Soloman Islands? Of course not. It is refering only to jurisdiction of the Roman Empire.

17The crowd that had been with him when he called Lazarus out of the tomb and raised him from the dead continued to bear witness. 18The reason why the crowd went to meet him was that they heard he had done this sign. 19So the Pharisees said to one another, “You see that you are gaining nothing. Look, THE WORLD has gone after him.”
John 12:17-19

Clearly, most people in the world - much less every single person in 1st century Palestine - did not know about Jesus or his miracles. This was merely the concerned Pharisees' reaction to the sight of a crowd.

8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in ALL THE WORLD.
Romans 1:8

Had the Great Commission been completely fulfilled at the time in which Romans was written? No, even to this day, there are sadly many tribes and cultures out there who never once in their history have been blessed to know about Jesus.

It is crucial that when we see words such as "ALL", "EVERYONE" and "THE WHOLE WORLD", we understand the context in which they are used. They can only refer to a universal application if indeed their parent texts actually do imply every single person.

2007/9/7 6:45Profile

Re:

Try as I may, I simply cant wrap my brain around Calvinism. And I cant reconcile it with what I see in scripture.

And the amazing thing to me is that those on this forum who push Calvinism (at times, to the point of stating if you dont believe in Calvinism you arent saved) also proclaim that eternal security is a heresy. Thats [b]really[/b] confusing to me!

Personally, I think the whole Calvinism vs. Arminianism debate is for those who have too much time on their hands. I think both sides are thinking too hard about this.

So what if someone is a Calvinist or an Arminian?? What have you done for Jesus today?

Krispy

2007/9/7 7:21
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Amen, good post hmmhmm.

2007/9/7 7:48Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

intrcssr83, you are correct that "all" and "world" does not always directly apply to each and every individual on the earth. But where the Calvinist errs is he redefines the word to mean a particular group. All means all, not some. Greek has different words for these, and God uses them to distinguish. He wasn't confused. It can mean "in general" all, but it still means all. This is how Jesus used those words in the passages you quote. He meant "all," and just because it specifically applied to the people there, you can't redefine it to mean only those people. Everyone else was still included. As far as the Caesar quote...how do you know he didn't want the whole world to have a census? Sure, he only had jurisdiction over Rome, and so he did his part there, but that doesn't mean he didn't declare one for the whole world. Governments do this today all the time...it's how all foreign policy works.

We tread on very thin ice when we start redefining words "based on their context." I'm not discounting context, because in order to understand how words are used and applied, we must look at context. But anyone can make up anything when we redefine words that have clear, singular meanings. This is how heresies and cults come about.

2007/9/7 10:03Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:
How far did the census go? Did it extend to China, Australia, the Soloman Islands? Of course not. It is refering only to jurisdiction of the Roman Empire.

since im no scholar i use these computer study sources :-) and this is what strongs have to say about how far this word means

3625 oivkoume,nh oikoumene {oy-kou-men'-ay}
Meaning: 1) [b]the inhabited earth 1a) the portion of the earth inhabited by the Greeks, in distinction from the lands of the barbarians 1b) the Roman empire, all the subjects of the empire 1c) the whole inhabited earth, the world 1d) the inhabitants of the earth, men 2) the universe, the world [/b]

it seems to me it could be the entire earth, or only the roman empire. Or even the entire universe, but i guess that is a bit optimistic.

one verse that the word is used for the whole earth is

Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

2007/9/7 11:46Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Quote:
T = TOTAL INABILITY (Calvinism teaches the inability of man to choose Truth, but the Word of God teaches that God created man with the ability to reason, choose, and receive Truth):

Unfortunately, the author starts off with a wrong idea. No Calvinist would ever deny that God created man with the ability to reason, or think, or choose. The issue is that after the fall, and the entry of sin into the human race, men only choose sin and death until their heart is renewed.

Quote:

This is not a good verse to try to argue against "total inability" at all, for consider what comes before it-
Eph 2:1 And [b]you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;[/b]
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Eph 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Eph 2:5 [b]Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)[/b]

Quote:
Romans 10:17: "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

Again, a poor verse to argue with, for no Calvinist would say otherwise. Rather the point being that unless man hears with the spiritual ears he will not be saved. Christ Himself spoke of those who could not "hear" what He was saying though they were standing right in front of Him.

Look at what precedes this verse-
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Then look what is after it-
Rom 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

If faith comes by hearing with the natural ear, then why didn't they believe? This is the point Paul is making, and why he is saying it is imperative to send forth preachers to speak the word that God may open ears to the truth of the Gospel.

Quote:
James 1:21: "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and RECEIVE with meekness the engrafted Word, which is able to save your souls."

Of course this is written to believers who already had been "enabled" and believed, so it should not be brought in to the discussion. They can receive because they have been enabled to receive, but again these are believers.

Quote:
Isaiah1:18: "Come now, and let us REASON together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

Here this is spoken to God's people Israel, and He is urging them to repent because of His goodness and mercy and because of the covenant He had established with them. This verse cannot be applied to unsaved people as this is to the "church" of the OT.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 30:19: "I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore CHOOSE LIFE, that both thou and thy seed may live."

Again this is not spoken to unbelievers, but rather to the nation of Israel which were God's covenant people. If we were to apply this to unbelievers, we would have to understand that man left to his own devices would only choose sin and death until his heart is changed so that he desires life, that being Christ.

Quote:
Joshua 24:15: "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, CHOOSE you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Again this is to Israel, and not the unsaved nations surrounding them. This is an urgent call to Israel to return to God.

Quote:
Psalm 119:30, 111, 173: "I have CHOSEN The Way of Truth: Thy Judgments have I laid before me....Thy Testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for They are the rejoicing of my heart....Let Thine hand help me; for I have chosen Thy Precepts."

Here David is speaking, or the author of Psalm 119, as one who has had revelation of God. It does not say that our of the blue, this person "chose" God's word, and saw it as true. If this was a proof text for man's ability, then it denies the fact that the natural man cannot understand spiritual things, and it also wipes out the need of the Holy Spirit to reveal truth to men, as man, according to the agenda of the author, already possesses an "inner light" to guide him into truth.

Quote:
John 1:12: "But as many as RECEIVED him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name."

It would be nice if the author would have included the next verse-
John 1:13 [b]Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.[/b]

There can be no receiving without the new birth, which is not produced by man, or aided by man. But is given by God to whom He will, when He will, as the Gospel is preached.

Quote:
2 Timothy 1:12: "...I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have COMMITTED unto him against that day."

Again this is written by Paul who I would say is a believer. So again this has no bearing on the "ability" of man.

Now for section two.... :-D

2007/9/7 12:03Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Quote:
U = UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION (Calvinism teaches that God selects those who are to be saved without any condition, but the Bible teaches that there is one condition to salvation: faith):

This is wrong. Calvinism teaches as do the Scriptures that God's choosing of people for salvation is not based upon any "condition" in them good or bad, but rather to the praise and glory of God based upon His good pleasure.

No Calvinist would ever deny that faith is needed to be saved, and here the author sets up an unfair and uneducated argument based on a wrong presumption.

Quote:
1 Peter 1:2: "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ..."

I do not even understand what the author is trying to say here as he said this section was about "faith". If anything this verse actually beautifully illustrates God's work in salvation apart from anything in man.

Quote:
2 Thessalonians 2:13: "...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the Truth."

Again this verse only goes on to illustrate the fact that God has predestined those whom He saves. No man can believe the truth of the Gospel apart from the Holy Spirit renewing his heart so that he can believe.

Quote:
Luke 7:50: "... Thy faith hath saved thee ..."

Yes, and what was her faith based upon? Revelation of who Christ was. Jesus Himself said, "no man can come to me unless the Father which has sent me draws him..."(John 6:44)

Man in and of himself will not come to Christ, because he sees no need to come. it is only when the Holy Spirit works upon the heart that a man "sees" his need for Christ.

Quote:

Notice what is being said here, salvation has nothing to do with us, the faith we have is a gift, salvation is a gift. How does this disprove unconditional election?

Now for the big "L"....

2007/9/7 12:17Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Quote:
L = LIMITED ATONEMENT (Calvinism teaches that Christ died only for the elect, but the Bible teaches that He died for all mankind):

Quote:
Isaiah 53:6: "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us ALL."

I am glad that he chose this Scripture to start with, but if only he would have gone a little further into the chapter, he would have found this-
Isaiah 53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall [b]my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.[/b]

Many but not all shall be justified because Christ bore their iniquities. Now compare this to Christ's own words-
Mat 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and [b]to give his life a ransom for many.[/b]
Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is [b]shed for many for the remission of sins.[/b]

And here from the book of Hebrews-
Heb 9:28 So [b]Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many;[/b] and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Those who Christ would die for were given to Him by the Father before the foundation of the world, and Christ Himself said that none that Father had given Him would perish, thus common sense dictates that we must bow the knee to the fact that if God wanted "all" men saved, He would have put "all" men into Christ, and He would have paid for their sins upon Calvary, and the Holy Spirit would apply that salvation to them in the present. The Bible does not teach this though.

Quote:
1 Timothy 4:10: "For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of ALL MEN, specially of those that believe."

Now I could be wrong, but I believe that the word "Saviour" is in a verb form, which would mean one who is saving.

The Greek word "soter" can also mean deliverer, or one who preserves. It is where we get "soteriology" or the study of salvation or how a person is saved..

Since we know that this cannot mean God has saved all men, we must assume(rightly) that it may mean something other than how it plainly reads, as Scripture does not contradict itself.

So I would say that it means that God is the preserver, and sustainer of all men in His providence, His blessings of life, air, rain, the beauty of nature etc. But He is the specific sustainer in this life and the one to come of those who believe.

Quote:
1 John 2:2: "And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of THE WHOLE WORLD."

Yes and this whole world was all who existed outside of the Jewish realm.

What the author fails to see is that if one person perished, or suffered the wrath of God, then his view must be proven wrong. For we know that a "propitiation" is a "wrath atoning sacrifice". Therefore, if the wrath of God has been atoned for for all men everywhere, and one person suffers that wrath, then either the Bible is wrong, or the view being put forth is. it cannot be both.

God has propitiated His wrath toward those whom he will save, and in some sense the unsaved have a benefit in this. The world still exists, they get to enjoy the blessings of creation, the beauty of nature etc.. But it is much like in the OT when nations shared in the blessings of Israel because Israel was God's covenantal and chosen people.

Quote:
Hebrews 2:9: "But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that He by the grace of God should taste death for EVERY MAN."

Yes, every man that will be saved, Christ has tasted death for, but since not every man will be saved, then this cannot mean "all men".

Quote:
1 Timothy 2:4: "Who will have ALL MEN to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the Truth."

God seeks to save all kinds of men, this is true. His eternal decree is that out of every nation, tribe, and tongue men would be saved. but still this does not show that all men will be saved, and if anything shows a warped view of God, for if God has willed something, yet cannot do it, then we are all in trouble, because then He is not much different than you or I.

Alright now to "I"...

2007/9/7 12:49Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Quote:
I = IRRESTABLE GRACE (Calvinism teaches that God's grace for salvation cannot be resisted, but the Word of God says it can be resisted):

Calvinism teaches that God's grace is effectual, and is not wasted. God's grace accomplishes that which it sets out to do i.e. grant faith to those whom He has chosen in Christ. Man can and often does resist this at first, yet the Spirit changes the will and makes man willing. This change is worked almost unknowingly, it is not coercion but rather regeneration, and the man now desires what he once thought foolish, and loves what he once hated.

Quote:
Matthew 23:37: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and YE WOULD NOT!"

Had God wanted them to, they would have. but there are many times where Christ thanked the Father for hiding truth from people. Peter though as God had chosen him was allowed the revelation of Christ, and Jesus told him, "blessed art thou.. for flesh and blood hath not revealed this to you, but my Father which is in Heaven."

Grace accomplished what it was sent to do in whom God chose.

Quote:
John 5:39-40: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And YE WILL NOT come to me, that ye might have life."

They would not, because they could not. Consider Christ's words here-
John 6:36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
John 6:37 [b]All that the Father giveth me shall come to me;[/b] and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
John 6:44 [b]No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:[/b] and I will raise him up at the last day.

Now consider these words of Christ that come before the verses used by the author-
John 5:21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so [b]the Son quickeneth whom he will.[/b]

And also these-
John 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
John 5:38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.

If anything, we see here that unless there is a giving of Life, and an internal dwelling of the word, there is no life.

Rather than working to support this man's argument this rather shows the depravity of even religious men apart from Divine life being given to them. This also shows that men cannot come unless they are made able to come.

Quote:
Acts 7:51: "Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always RESIST the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye."

As do all men, thus the condemnation they feel. Because light has come into the world, but men love darkness, and every bit of light that comes their way they hate and despise.

Notice the key phrase here "uncircumcised in heart". here is why they could not understand or not resist. Their hearts were unchanged. Consider Paul's words in Philippians 3-
Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

And these words to the Colossians-
Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

These men in the Acts passage above could do nothing but resist because they were not recipients of grace to be "circumcised in heart".

Quote:
Proverbs 1:24-26: "Because I have called, and YE REFUSED; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh."

Men may refuse all they want, but the one who God has chosen for salvation will be saved. His grace accomplishes what it sets out to do. Look at Paul the Apostle.

Quote:
Proverbs 29:1: "He, that being often reproved HARDENETH HIS NECK, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy."

This would be the description of the reprobate man who never was a recipient of God's grace. His mercy, yes,but not grace as God's grace always accomplishes what it sets out to do.

Now to "P".....

2007/9/7 13:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy