SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the Gospel?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i think the gospel is preaty much sumed up in

Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

believe and repent and be saved.

2007/9/6 13:08Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation for everyone that believes.

I agree with this. But is this really a definition of the gospel or the result of proclaiming it? (Rom. 1:16-17)

2007/9/7 0:18Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Prov. 2:1 My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
4 If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD,
And find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly;
8 He guards the paths of justice,
And preserves the way of His saints.
9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.
10 When wisdom enters your heart,
And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,
11 Discretion will preserve you;
Understanding will keep you,
12 To deliver you from the way of evil,
From the man who speaks perverse things,
13 From those who leave the paths of uprightness
To walk in the ways of darkness;
14 Who rejoice in doing evil,
And delight in the perversity of the wicked;
15 Whose ways are crooked,
And who are devious in their paths;
16 To deliver you from the immoral woman,
From the seductress who flatters with her words,
17 Who forsakes the companion of her youth,
And forgets the covenant of her God.
18 For her house leads down to death,
And her paths to the dead;
19 None who go to her return,
Nor do they regain the paths of life—
20 So you may walk in the way of goodness,
And keep to the paths of righteousness.
21 For the upright will dwell in the land,
And the blameless will remain in it;
22 But the wicked will be cut off from the earth,
And the unfaithful will be uprooted from it.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/7 0:25Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Prov. 2:1 My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
4 If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD,
And find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly;
8 He guards the paths of justice,
And preserves the way of His saints.
9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.
10 When wisdom enters your heart,
And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,
11 Discretion will preserve you;
Understanding will keep you,
12 To deliver you from the way of evil,
From the man who speaks perverse things,
13 From those who leave the paths of uprightness
To walk in the ways of darkness;
14 Who rejoice in doing evil,
And delight in the perversity of the wicked;
15 Whose ways are crooked,
And who are devious in their paths;
16 To deliver you from the immoral woman,
From the seductress who flatters with her words,
17 Who forsakes the companion of her youth,
And forgets the covenant of her God.
18 For her house leads down to death,
And her paths to the dead;
19 None who go to her return,
Nor do they regain the paths of life—
20 So you may walk in the way of goodness,
And keep to the paths of righteousness.
21 For the upright will dwell in the land,
And the blameless will remain in it;
22 But the wicked will be cut off from the earth,
And the unfaithful will be uprooted from it.

In Christ
Jeff

I'm confused, perhaps some commentary?

2007/9/7 1:50Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Here is the most concise summary I can give to you. May it aid you in understanding and communicating God's truth.

The Gospel:
God is holy. Whatever is unholy is punished by God in hell forever. Yet God has graciously made a way through Jesus Christ for unholy things to become holy and go to heaven.

Here is a slightly longer explanation:

Background:
God is unimaginably holy and pure. The slightest disobedience to His commands is called sin. Every sin ever committed is viewed by God as a crime against His perfect holiness. By nature God hates all sin with infinite hatred. All sinners and every sin will be judged by God and compared to the infinite righteousness of Himself. He will destroy whatever comes short.

The Problem Brought Closer:
God made man for the purpose of worshiping and serving Him, but all men have sinned and fall short of the glorious standard of God. God keeps His word - He has promised prove His justice by destroying anyone and everything that is not perfectly righteous and pure. For this purpose God has made a place called hell where He will isolate sinners from all goodness forever.

The absence of goodness is deeper than you or I can fathom. A place without goodness is a place without hope, joy, peace, and love. The absence of hope is total despair. A place without joy is a place of wailing misery. A place of no peace is a place of unending, agonizing torment. God describes hell as a lake of fire that never ceases to burn. It will make men weep and gnash their teeth, and they will hate God forever in this place because they honored themselves and their sin more than Him.

God is just and fair, thus the severity of this punishment shows us how holy God must be, and how sinful our sins are.

The Problem Made Worse:
On the Day of Judgment God will not accept bribes or excuses. No amount of so-called good works will make up for the slightest sin. God is disgusted that a you would dare to consider your heart pure enough to approach the holiness of God. He is not satisfied that you think (wrongly) that He is a loving father-figure waiting to bandage your ruined soul at death. (At this point you must keep in mind that God is not evil because He wants to destroy you, but rather you are so blinded and corrupted by the sins that you are an addict of that you cannot see how deserving of death you are. This God truly is right, and you are bitterly wrong and deceived by sin.) In short, all men are utterly hopeless in themselves because they have sinned against the holiness of God and will be judged, found guilty, and damned.

The Gospel:
God was willing to make His love and forgiveness known by providing a way of salvation for a people He would save by grace through faith. For this reason God the Son came in the humble form of a man, named Jesus. He lived perfectly and sinlessly and was persecuted by self-righteous men. According to the will of God, He offered His life as a sacrifice for sins and paid the ransom of the debt owed by sinners. He was brutally beaten and hung on a painful cross. Then the full wrath of God the Father was poured on Jesus as He bore the eternal penalty that you and I deserve. “Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many.” [Heb 9] Three days later God raised Jesus from the dead to prove His victory over death. He appeared to hundreds of witnesses and then ascended into heaven. He now sits at the throne of God the Father, ready to forgive all who repent and believe on Him.

How to be saved:
You cannot save yourself by any amount of self-guilt or promises to live better. God alone saves and He does not have to save you. He saves only those He chooses to save, and He saves them only because He has chosen to show grace to some. No one deserves grace or else it would not be grace. However, God promises that all who repent and believe on Christ shall be saved.

This means that if you are willing to forsake your life of sin, forsake control of your earthly destiny, and willing to surrender yourself to the commands and will of God; and if you believe that Christ was a worthy sacrifice for your and all sins, then you may have confidence that God is saving you. But do not stop here. Many people come this far and then stop because they think they have repented but in their heart they were satisfied to hold on to certain sins. You must be born again of God's Spirit. Do not cease to repent and believe and to pray for forgiveness until He very clearly and undeniably changes your heart and mind. By the grace of God get rid of and destroy every known sin in your life. Pray night and day and shake heaven until He saves you from the old life you lived.

What then?
All who are saved by God love and grow in holiness. If after time you do not love and grow in holiness, you were not and will not be saved by God. You must repent and believe. You must be born again.

2007/9/7 2:39Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I pasted this thought from Brother Patrick from another thread....

Quote:
By Christ and His intercession for them. Consider 1 Corinthians 1:30 "But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:"

We often speak of the gospel, the good news. In the above Scripture we find that Jesus, as high priest, provides for us and is for us, "wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption." If one studies what Solomon wrote in Proverbs chapter 2 we find that through God's intervention in man's life each is given the opportunity to be adopted by God and removed from the world which is evil.

Since the fall of man, man has been given both the knowledge of good and evil. Because Sin entered this world in the spiritual realm through Satan, man has been held in captivity to him and death. Yet man is not left to only the influence of Satan but Scripture also states that there exists a way in which man may escape his captivity.

Look for the "job description" of Christ in the first 9 chapters of Proverbs. Look to beyond what is seen. Look to the spiritual world that Scripture teaches of. Look to the work of the Holy Spirit in these chapters and how she "wisdom" lights a path that leads to righteousness. Also look to the immoral woman, and how this spiritual guide leads many to the pits of hell.

Proverbs 2 points out the good news to all who hear and do. Christ's job description is to free the captives.

God Bless
In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/7 2:48Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Thanks for the clarification Jeff.

The reason why I asked the question in my first post "What is the gospel?" is because I've been wondering if we miss it when we think of the gospel as Jesus died to save you. (I agree that Jesus died to save men btw)

In other words, the gospel is not "Jesus died to save you" though that's a part of it. More specifically I believe the gospel is defined and proclaimed in Acts ch2 culminating in verse 36, "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified both Lord and Christ."

This is the Gospel proclaimed. To this point in Peter's sermon there was no call to repentance, only a proclamation that Jesus is Lord. The call to repent and believe came after and as a result of the proclamation of the gospel.

In other words, believe, repent and be saved because Jesus died for the sin of the world is a fruit of gospel preaching, rather than being the gospel its self.

I know this is subtle but it contains great implications especially in evangelism. There's no more convincing, there's only knowing Christ and Him crucified. It explains the revelation of the Righteousness of God revealed in the gospel manifesting faith and also the wrath of God revealed from heaven manifesting ungodliness and unrighteousness. To explain: Why are lives set right and sins forgiven? Because Jesus Christ is Lord. So also: Why is there no peace in the world, rather it's filled with hatred and violence? Because Jesus Christ is also Lord over those who do not believe and is actively resisting them resulting in ungodliness and unrighteousness in men who do not lack the truth, but suppress it in unrighteousness. (Rom. 1:16-18, Psalm ch2)

Proclaiming "Jesus is Lord" if I'm correct then should always proceed "Repent and believe."

Thoughts?

[i]edited for clarification[/i]

2007/9/8 21:37Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: What is the Gospel?

Reply to Hulsey
Greetings and peace to all
God has made it possible for us to know Him through His Son whom came as a man. The Gospel is a man called Jesus that walked among men as man’s friend. A man that could be touched and handled and fellow shipped with. A man that laid down His life, forsaken by His friends on a cruel Roman cross that as many believed that He was the Son of God full of glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Friends of Jesus who by faith willing lay down their lives and except Him as their Prophet, Priest and King. Friends that take part in His resurrection and gather in His Kingdom of Light and truth.
Friends healed and ministered to by The Word Of God that reveals our Father to us.
Friends who speak the words of truth inspired in us by God’s Holy Spirit so those who are lost in darkness and perdition can also come to the Light and have fellowship with the living.

2007/9/10 7:58Profile
thomasm

Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada

Re:gospel

Jesus is the good news, He is our portion, Our life , our holiness, our redemption, our righteousness. He is the first born of the new creation, the last of the old creation, he ascended on high and became the perfect sacrifice for all mankind, and He sent the Holy Spirit to draw all men unto Himself. Give your all to Jesus, and He will become your all in all. Jesus is the Gospel, whosoever puts their trust in him , will never be put to shame.

love in Christ Tom

2007/9/16 11:42Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

What is the Gospel? Christ in you.

Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Colossians 1:12-29 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/9/17 1:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy