SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Divorce and Remarriage

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
SpiritFilledMinister

Divorce and Remarriage

I am a Spirit-filled Minister with a Bachelor Degree in Theology. Marriage, divorce, and remarriage is a subject I had to come face to face with in my personal life. First, marriage is a covenant entered into by two people, a man and a woman, and not just a decision to live together. When Jesus talked to the Samaritan woman he said you have had five husbands, and the one you have now is not your husband. (John 4:16-18) Living together does not constitute a marriage. The Samaritan woman wasn't married to the man she had, this falls into the category of fornication. Second, in the Old Testament, divorce was granted for just about any reason. But in the New Testament, there is only one reason a person can divorce AND REMARRY: Matthew 19:8-9 and that is because of sexual immorality. When a person commits adultery, he/she breaks the marriage covenant. The innocent party is free to remarry. If the couple decides to stay together and try to make the marriage work, they really should redo their marriage vows (enter into a new covenant) because the old covenant was broken. Divorcing and not being able to remarry is a difficult thing to face, but I can tell you, God is faithful, and he is showing himself strong in my life. He will bless and help anyone who wants to obey him and do what's right!!

2004/5/13 19:03Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Divorce and Remarriage

Quote:
I am a Spirit-filled Minister with a Bachelor Degree in Theology. Marriage, divorce, and remarriage is a subject I had to come face to face with in my personal life.

Welcome to SermonIndex! Just to let you know when you are posting click on the reply button of the last post in a thread to respond to a message so it stays all in order and is referable. for all further posts on this subject please make it in:
[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1935&forum=36]Thee Old & New Life[/url]

2004/5/13 19:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Divorce and Remarriage

Jesus talked to the Samaritan woman he said you have had five husbands, and the one you have now is not your husband. (John 4:16-18) Living together does not constitute a marriage. The Samaritan woman wasn't married to the man she had, this falls into the category of fornication.

As I pointed out on the other thread, biblical Greek does not a specific single word for 'husband' nor for 'wife'. The effect is created by adding a possessive pronoun to the word 'man' or 'woman'. Consequently Jesus said "you have had 5 men and the man you have now is now yours"

2004/5/13 19:30Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy