Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 A Definition Of Revival -brown

[b]A Definition Of Revival[/b]
[i]by Micheal Brown[/i]

Revival is a season of unusual divine visitation resulting in deep repentance, supernatural renewal, and sweeping reformation in the Church, along with the radical conversion of sinners in the world, often producing moral, social, and even economic change in the local or national communities. (Michael L. Brown)

The road to revival begins with confession, with a heartfelt admission of poverty and need. It begins with contrition, with fasting and groaning, with the proud in heart forced to their knees. And it begins with a purging, a “spirit of burning”; it begins with the call to repent. (From the book The End of the American Gospel Enterprise)

Revival is an encounter with God the Holy One, disclosed and made known. Revival removes the veil and makes things clear. Revival is stark and absolute, uncovering the nature of man and revealing the glory of God. In the end, it boils down to this: Do we really want God to live in our midst? (From the book From Holy Laughter to Holy Fire)

2007/9/4 23:09Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: A Definition Of Revival -brown

Quote: 'Do we really want God to live in our midst?'

No. We don't.

We want God on our terms. We want revival on our terms.

Our way, our method, has no cost to it.

God's way costs.

It costs with prayer, fasting, devouring the Word, taking up the cross, sacrificing, giving financially, self-denial etc.

Add to the list, no doubt it is endless.

Were we ever to encounter God, we, and the world,
would know it.

God bless.

2007/9/5 6:24Profile

Re: A Definition Of Revival -brown

I'm not sure if this is open for discussion, but I just wanted to make a couple of comments about this definition.

Quote:
Revival is an encounter with God the Holy One, disclosed and made known. Revival removes the veil and makes things clear. Revival is stark and absolute, uncovering the nature of man and revealing the glory of God. In the end, it boils down to this: Do we really want God to live in our midst? (From the book From Holy Laughter to Holy Fire)

I thought Jesus already removed the veil?

Quote:
19Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

I thought the nature of man was exposed by God's Holy Law?

Quote:
10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17And the way of peace have they not known:

18There is no fear of God before their eyes.

19Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

I thought the Glory of God is revealed in the face of Jesus Christ?

Quote:
3But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

5For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

6For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Are not we, the Church, the Temple of God? Doesn't God already dwell in the midst of His people. Isn't this the glorious promise of the Gospel.

That, a Holy God, could now dwell in the midst of a people who were once unclean. We have been justified, declared righteous, and we have been cleansed and sanctified, so that, now God, without compromising His integrity, is able to dwell with us and be our God.

Quote:
3And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Again, here is the problem with the idea of revival?
(as is defined here)

We are seemingly praying for, or waiting for, something/ things that God has already given us in the Gospel.

Didn't Israel have the same problem? God said He had given them the land. It was a land flowing with milk and honey. There were houses, and vines, crops....

Everything they needed was found in Canaan, but they did not go in and possess it. They had an inheritance waiting for them, but they did not believe God.

The Gospel was preached unto them, but it did not profit them because they did not believe it.

Our inheritance is Christ.

We need not preach revival. We need to preach Christ and Him Crucified. We need to preach, to the lost and to the saved, Christ and what He accomplished for us.

2007/9/5 10:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy