SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is a hypocrite Biblically speaking?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sonofadam777

Rochester, New York

What is a hypocrite Biblically speaking?

hyp·o·crite /ˈhɪpəkrɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hip-uh-krit] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

this is what the dictionary says, but what does scripture say? Please add to this discussion.

2007/9/4 16:19Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: What is a hypocrite Biblically speaking?

It is the Greek word for an actor. To be a hypocrite is to pretend to be something that you are not. A hypocrite is not someone who is trying and failing but someone who is putting on an act.

God can't change the person you are pretending to be.

2007/9/4 16:43Profile

Re: What is a hypocrite Biblically speaking?

"Hypocrite" is a Greek word, literally meaning one who wears a mask. In other words, an actor. Greek actors wore masks to show happy or sad faces, depending on the play - for example if it was a tragedy or a comedy.

The Old Testament word that the KJV translates "hypocrite" means a godless, corrupted, defiled person. It's a pity the translators used the word hypocrite there, as the Greek word is very specific, and not the same meaning as in the OT Hebrew.

The NT word is significant because it describes something rather different from the popular understanding of the word in English. The Pharisees [i]WERE[/i] "good", but their goodness was from self-effort; it didn't show a true picture of their hearts, what they were really like inside. In other words they were trying (with "the best" of motives!) to be what they were not, to hide even from themeslves the corruption within.

The tragic thing was that they deceived themselves into believing their own "acting".

The Pharisees and religious leaders needed Jesus to save them, just as much as the worst prostitute, thief or murderer; but because they were hiding behind the "mask" of righteousness, they couldn't see it. Pride and fear usually kept them from being able to face up to - let alone admit - the sin in their hearts. That's why most of them hated Jesus, because His true goodness exposed their pretence for what it was.

I think that's the reason that John 3 says:

John 3:19-21
[i][color=000099]19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth [u]truth[/u] cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.[/color][/i]

It's interesting that the contrast isn't between the person doing good and the one doing evil, but between the one "doing TRUTH" and doing evil.

Do we love and trust the Lord enough to let Him take away our religious masks and deal with what is beneath?

In Him

Jeannette

2007/9/4 17:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy