SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Set the Trumpet to Thy Mouth

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
Ktrek wrote:
"Some of the predictions in this particular part of my vision will happen within the next few years. Other disasters predicted are still future but will surely come." (page 27)

"Nice disclaimer but I don't recall hearing any such thing on the original tape."

Then look it up in the book he wrote. I believe I provided the page number. Anyone can see in plain print.
Jeremy Hulsey
Kevin

2003/8/1 14:27Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: another intresting note

[i]About the book "Set the trumpet to Thy Mouth" by David Wilkerson. Here is the forward of the book written by Leonard Ravehill:[/i]

Dr. Wiersbe has given us a lovely book on walking with the giants. Brother David has given us something better than that in this wonderful book, and it is walking with the prophets.

There is probably no preacher in the nation who is more intimate and knowledgeable on the crime and accelerated depravity in the inner cities of our nation, but he skillfully avoids any horrendous statistics on these youth-crippled vices, which is the result of the anemic preaching of the Word of the living God. There is so little preaching of Christ, repentance, and judgement of sin.

Often I am asked, Is David Wilkerson a prophet? Well, not in the classification of the Old Testament, but surely a prophet in the bracket of the New Testament. I claim for him that God has made him a watchman unto our nation. My slight contribution to thsi book is like a man taking a bucket of fire and adding it to a volcano, for this book certainly is volcanic. The author sees the church of Jesus Christ wounded, raped, and robbed; and he blows God's trumpet to show us the sin and unbelief that caused it.

He has been broken in compassion for the weak and withered testimony of believers todady in a world of arrogant heresy and strident cults. I saw on one occasion stagger into my office, and his lips trembled as he spoke with tears in his eyes, saying, "Len, I hardly dare put on paper and publish what the Lord has given to me." But he had done this, and I for one am tremendously glad that he did.

The book will bring a cry of joy from the young preachers who are asking for a spiritual voice compeling the church back to her original calling of holiness and power. The author has followed the command of Joel to "Blow the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the Lord cometh for it is nigh at hand; a day of darkness and of gloominess." Then he urges us on to Joel 2:12,13 "Therefore also now, saith the Lord, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and mourning, and rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil."

God grant us the Spirit of obedience to do this, in order that Joel 2:30 may be our experience: "I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth." A divine intervention is our only hope.

This trumpet gives no uncertain sound.

Leonard Ravenhill

2003/8/1 14:47Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Some intresting things I gleaned from this well written forward by ravenhill.

Quote:
Often I am asked, Is David Wilkerson a prophet? Well, not in the classification of the Old Testament, but surely a prophet in the bracket of the New Testament. I claim for him that God has made him a watchman unto our nation.

Ravenhill makes a distinction between a prophet in the old testament and in the new testament. Also the classification of 'Watchman' seems to be a thing that applies to countries or nations. Wilkerson is not a watchman to england or to romania, he is called to be a watchman to America!

Quote:
This trumpet gives no uncertain sound.

I hear the sound loud and clear.. REPENT!

2003/8/1 14:53Profile
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"Here is What David Wilkerson says about the unfolding of the vision he had.

"Parts of this vision will come to pass in the very near future. Some of the events are more distant" (Introduction, The Vision, Jove Publishing 1977)

"Some of the predictions in this particular part of my vision will happen within the next few years. Other disasters predicted are still future but will surely come. (page 27)"

Ok, Wilkerson did say that in the book, but how about these? I'll just start with the first chapter.

1. "There is worldwide economic confusion just ahead. In my vision, this is the clearest thing I have seen." pp. 15 (compare with #4)

2. "Without a doubt, there are lean years ahead full on montetary confusion and despair. How soon is not clear, but it is not far away. The world's greatest greatest economists will be at a loss to explain the confusion, and an international crisis of fear will develop. A false economic boom will precede the recession- but it will be shortlived... In spite of all the danger signs around us of impending economic disaster, the next few years (from 1973) will be among the most prosperous in the history of mankind." pp. 16

3. "The truth is that all the positive thinking in the world will not change the fact that we are going to have a major recession. No preacher, no philosopher, no author will be able to change the direction God has ordained." pp. 26

4. "In the next decade, South AMerica will become a powder keg, exploding in all directions... Only God Himself knows the future- I have recieved only a hazy glimpse beyond the next decade. I seem to see a picture of a partial and almost complete recovery from the coming recession- but the world economy will continue in confusion until the time of the Antichrist." pp. 27

5. "There will come a time in the future when men will be obssessed with buying, selling, planting, marrying, and divorcing- but it will be a time of false prosperity. The Bible predicts that in this time of great false prosperity, Jesus Christ will appear in the clouds to evacuate the Christian." pp. 28

2003/8/1 14:59Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
1. "There is worldwide economic confusion just ahead. In my vision, this is the clearest thing I have seen." pp. 15 (compare with #4)

Well that is a very vague statement by Wilkerson and I will comment on #4 because it is more specific.

Quote:
2. "Without a doubt, there are lean years ahead full on montetary confusion and despair. How soon is not clear, but it is not far away. The world's greatest greatest economists will be at a loss to explain the confusion, and an international crisis of fear will develop. A false economic boom will precede the recession- but it will be shortlived... In spite of all the danger signs around us of impending economic disaster, the next few years (from 1973) will be among the most prosperous in the history of mankind." pp. 16

Well in someways there is a false rise in the stock market but I believe there is going to be a big crash soon. Think of it! in the last few years some of the biggest american companies ever have gone bankrupt and have had fraud, etc. The euro dollar is stonger or will be then the american. There is an overall confusion on how things are going to turn out in the economic state of the world. I believe the war with Iraq has distracted people from the awful state of america's finacial market.

Quote:
3. "The truth is that all the positive thinking in the world will not change the fact that we are going to have a major recession. No preacher, no philosopher, no author will be able to change the direction God has ordained." pp. 26

well its true! "Then I heard what sounded like a coice among the four living creatures, saying, A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!" - Revelation 6:6

Quote:
4. "In the next decade, South AMerica will become a powder keg, exploding in all directions... Only God Himself knows the future- I have recieved only a hazy glimpse beyond the next decade. I seem to see a picture of a partial and almost complete recovery from the coming recession- but the world economy will continue in confusion until the time of the Antichrist." pp. 27

Its intresting to note that he states: 'only God himself knows the future'. I dont think wilkerson is prophesying about future details but just giving a general sense of what the bible says tied into modern countries and situations. As for 'In the next decade, South AMerica will become a powder keg, exploding in all directions...' well in some ways there have been alot of things happening to south america and if you wanted I could give alot of events that could valify his claim. (*I dont think he meant the country was actually going to explode)

Quote:
5. "There will come a time in the future when men will be obssessed with buying, selling, planting, marrying, and divorcing- but it will be a time of false prosperity. The Bible predicts that in this time of great false prosperity, Jesus Christ will appear in the clouds to evacuate the Christian." pp. 28

1. We are more materialistic then ever I believe in North America. We buy more. and sell more (ebay) hmm.
2. planting ... well I think christians are to blame here also. Building bigger and better churches which in some ways means nothing to God and is just a waste of resources that could be used in furthering his kingdom.
3. marrying, and divorcing - I see this tie in when Jesus talked about the end times being like the days of noah. (Matthew 24:37-39)

2003/8/1 15:16Profile
Jason

Re:

(This post has been EDITED to eliminate confusion ... I mixed up two different sermons from Wilkerson, one from 1973 and another from around 2001.)

I also believe that the US will soon (and very suddenly) no longer be the world power it is today. I have said for a few years now that as soon as the world was independent enough from our fiscal control of the global market (either by having another source of stability such as the Euro or by there already being a major worldwide depression), the US would be removed from power in some way (my feeling is that it will be through attack and that it will be sudden). To quote Paris Reidhead: "If God doesn't judge America, he'll have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah."

2003/8/1 23:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
The tape is not the same as the book. The tape is from much more recently (I think in 2001 or so). It was at least well into the Times Square Church era,

This is absolutely rediculous as the tape I heard and posted was from 1972.

Kevin

2003/8/2 0:04
Jason

Re:

My error ... I went and double checked my copy and the sermon is from 1973. I have another sermon on a similar topic (a vision he had) from around 2001 that I mixed up with this one (I think it's "Be Ye Ready is No Joking Matter.") I stand corrected.

2003/8/2 2:04Profile
JNugent

Re: Set the Trumpet to Thy Mouth

About David Wilkerson...

There is so much positive I could say. Shortly after I came to the Lord, I fell into sin for a short season. My merciful Lord allowed a book called "Hungry for More of Jesus" to 'fall into my lap' (not literally!), and that is why the season of sin was cut short (thanks be to God).

I visited Times Square Church in the summer of 1995 for about a week. I sensed such passion for God and brokenness for the lost from the congregation and from the pulpit. Since that time, I've read countless sermons and books, and listened to quite a few audio tapes of Wilkerson. I believe him to be a sincere man of God. As to the discrepancies within "The Vision" (which I don't currently have a copy of), and "Set the Trumpet to Thy Mouth" (which I do have, I think), I don't really know what to say. I love to hear him preach, because it seems that, most of the time, the Holy Spirit uses him to speak conviction and comfort to me. It's obvious that he has been inaccurate at times concerning his prophecies, but I can't help but deeply appreciate his ministry.

I listened to T. Austin-Sparks the other day for the first time, and I think you can see his obvious influence on Wilkerson. I can kind of identify with this, because up to a few years ago, it was apparent to others (not myself) that I was subconsciously adapting Wilkerson's style in my own preaching. I've since asked God to develop my ministry style to His liking, and to help me not to try to be like anyone else.

By the way, a couple of nails he hit square on the head:

He called PTL a year before it fell and predicted its downfall in one year. In one year PTL had fallen, and Jim Bakker was on his way to jail.

He counseled Jimmy Swaggart to 'find a dry place' to seek the Lord alone, or the Lord would prepare one for him. Jimmy didn't get alone with God and allow God to deal with his sins... his ministry took a fall in 1988.

David Wilkerson is not infallible, and I've not yet met a man who is. Jesus Christ our Lord is infallible, as is His written word. Although I have great respect for many great men of God, only my God Himself is worthy of glory, honor, and praise! I hope I haven't written 'a lot of nothing' with this post. Thanks for reading!

2003/8/11 15:53Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote: "There is so much positive I could say. Shortly after I came to the Lord, I fell into sin for a short season. My merciful Lord allowed a book called "Hungry for More of Jesus" to 'fall into my lap' (not literally!), and that is why the season of sin was cut short (thanks be to God)."

Brother, I have the same testimony about that book. To anyone who is struggling with sin I would greatly recommend reading "Hungry For More Of Jesus."

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2003/8/11 18:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy