SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Scriptural Debates?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

Scriptural Debates?

Oh no - debates!!!! Can't the name to the topic sound more welcoming? Maybe like, "Biblical Counsel"? I took a glance at the discussion about marriage and divorce, and it didn't seem like an intimidating debate at all! Not a big deal, just a suggestion. I've just had bad experiences with 'Scriptural debates'. They tend to tear others down rather than build them up. I don't think that's going on here though. That's good.

2004/5/12 17:33Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Scriptural Debates?

Quote:
Oh no - debates!!!! Can't the name to the topic sound more welcoming? Maybe like, "Biblical Counsel"? I took a glance at the discussion about marriage and divorce, and it didn't seem like an intimidating debate at all!

Hi sister Yodi, yes I agree many forums on the web have debate sections that tear down instead of build up the body of Christ. Healthy discussion of scriptures sharing opinions back and forth is what I call proper godly debating where both sides have open minds to Gods leading and teaching through others.

2004/5/12 17:37Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Yeah, I just replied in that marriage, divorce & remarriage topic. Harmless so far. I think the 'debates' on here may be safe. :-D

2004/5/12 17:48Profile
bigdaveusa

Re: Scriptural Debates?

No comment! :-)

2004/5/12 18:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This just came up in my email.

Christian Quotation of the Day

May 13, 2004

[i]"Insofar as theology is an attempt to define and clarify intellectual positions, it is apt to lead to discussion, to differences of opinion, even to controversy, and hence to be divisive. And this has had a strong tendency to dampen serious discussion of theological issues in most groups, and hence to strengthen the general anti-intellectual bias..."[/i]

... Sidney E. Mead in Church History (1954)

http://www.cqod.org/

"most" :-)

2004/5/13 0:14Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Personally, I detest the necessity of arguments. Nonetheless, that necessity exists. As much as I would like for everyone to get the truth from God without my (or anyone else's) involvement, that system has unacceptable flaws, or so it seems Jude thought:

Jude
3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, [b]I felt I had[/b] to write and [b]urge[/b] you to [b][u]contend[/u] for the faith[/b] that was once for all entrusted to the saints.

This wasn't over any old thing, of course, but something of practical, Heaven-or-hell importance.

Most things, in a community like this, can be settled more as discussions where each person brings up his/her Scriptural evidence, but sometimes more direct argumentation is required.

But if we must argue: for the love of God (literally), let us do it with charity.

2004/5/13 2:21Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Arguing

Hmmm... but what about 2 Timothy 2:14, "Remind everyone of these things (verses 1-13), and command them in God's name to stop fighting over words. Such arguments are useless, and they can ruin those who hear them"?

I agree that discussions are fine and we need to sharpen each other like iron, right? And yes, love does need to be our motive in anything we do:

"... You think that everyone should agree with your perfect knowledge. While knowledge may make you feel important, it is love that really builds up the church. Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn't really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one God knows and cares for" (1 Corinthians 8:1-3, NLT)

2004/5/17 12:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy