Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Challenge

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

A Challenge

I was reading an account of the life of Brother Andrew when I came across a story that has challenged me. He was visiting Bulgaria during the Cold War, persecution of the church was severe there at the time and he ministered clandestinely to a network of small underground churches, providing much needed Bibles and encouraging the saints. At that time there was a type of church in Bulgaria that they called the Puppet Church. Basically they were Orthodox churches that were led by compromising shepherds who touted the party line and were simply tools of the government.

During this visit one of the underground church leaders brought Andrew to one of these puppet churches so he could see what was going on. Strangely enough, while the two talked with the pastor of this puppet church he invited Andrew to speak at a special service that afternoon. Andrew was hesitant and said he would pray about it. After seeking God’s will he felt a peace about going ahead and speaking. What resulted was several days of speaking and 300 souls converted to Jesus Christ. It turns out the Spirit had moved on the pastors heart and many in the community and sparked the fires of revival.

In time government persecution came against that church, the pastor was removed and a new puppet put in place and the fire went out in that church but those 300 converts were dispersed throughout Bulgaria and started underground churches in many places, the fires started in that revival continued to burn, who knows how many souls were won for Christ.

Now what challenged me is that Andrew said that he learned from that experience that God desires to move in revival anywhere and among any people that come together in His name, regardless of denomination and condition . The question I had to ask myself is, would l I be found in the stream of His will or would I be found fighting the work of the Spirit if I was in a similar situation? Would I have turned my back on this “Babylonian” church when God desired to turn His face toward it?

In Christ,

Ron

2007/8/31 11:55Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: A Challenge

From Brother Andrew:

"Be ever mindful of your calling. You are
called out of the darkness, and into His
marvelous light. You are called out of this
world, and into His glorious kingdom. You
are called to show forth His praise; you are
called to reveal His glory and virtue. You
are called to be the salt of truth to the
earth; you are called to be the light of His
love to the world. You are called to be sons
and daughters of the AlMighty!!"

2007/8/31 12:53Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

"The question I had to ask myself is, would l I be found in the stream of His will or would I be found fighting the work of the Spirit if I was in a similar situation?"

Selah.

[i]The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.[/i]

2007/8/31 16:33Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Recent threads have had me thinking on this again...

2010/10/8 19:50Profile
Koheleth

NC

Quote:
Now what challenged me is that Andrew said that he learned from that experience that God desires to move in revival anywhere and among any people that come together in His name, regardless of denomination and condition . The question I had to ask myself is, would l I be found in the stream of His will or would I be found fighting the work of the Spirit if I was in a similar situation? Would I have turned my back on this “Babylonian” church when God desired to turn His face toward it?

Great story, brother! May we learn a real lesson from it. This story is the reason why brother Andrew is still discussed today and most of us will never be known the day after we die. He knew how to be an instrument of the Lord. The one who comes to judge and reject can never fulfill the will of Christ, who said he did not come to judge, but that men might be saved.

I agree that there is a time for prophetic denunciation, but why do we forget the real kingdom powers of love, encouragement, exhortation, brotherhood, and joy? When was the last time you approached any believer or unbeliever who was somewhat different than yourself with faith and hope that God could work in their life? This story is great, because brother Andrew knew God well enough to approach people the way God did.

2010/10/8 21:48Profile
NewCovWinDor

A Little Town In Iowa

Re:

That's the key!

We must know our God, before we will do exploits (Daniel 11:32b).

Come, Lord Jesus!

2010/10/8 21:51Profile
JesusIsMyLrd

Iowa, USA

Re:

Amen! Thank you so much; what a wonderful challenge. God bless you for sharing!

2010/10/8 21:53Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy