SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : I wonder what a sermon from Jesus would sound like today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread









 Re:

Pharisee = correct theology but no love or compassion whatsoever.

moe wrote:
I don't see anywhere in scripture the pharisees had the right theology.

 2007/9/1 22:43









 Re:

Quote:

Corey_H wrote:
Jeanette said
Quote:
Not sure if I agree about the fire breathing angels though - not until His second coming. Remember what He said when James and John wanted to call down fire from heaven because the Samaritans rejected Him?



Here we go again! Finding the fly in my ointment! Hehe.

[color=990033]I'm a Biologist, don't forget. I'd be more likely, if it was a real fly, to give you a lecture on what kind of fly it was, and why I know its a fly not any other kind of insect! :-P[/color]

Quote:
Was that before or after He spoke to the woman at the well? Perhaps she was to Samaria what Lot was to Sodom... the one righteous person by whom the cities were spared (for a time).

[color=990033]I'm not sure if it was before or after the woman at the well. The accounts are in different Gospels, so not easy to compare. I also have difficulty remembering numbers or dates, and getting things in chronological order! :-?

Anyone?

But John 8 does say that the woman spoke to the other folk in Samaria and many of them believed too; so there isn't much of a parallel with Sodom[/color]

Quote:
Quote:
Pharisee = correct theology but no love or compassion whatsoever.



Which makes one wonder what we call a person who's loving and compassionate but has the wrong theology... Then again, how can love and compassion be the wrong theology...?

That's true. Compassion without compromise on Truth is very difficult to achieve in practice - we tend to come down on one side of the other. But I'm glad that our salvation doesn't depend on absolutely correct theology!

Found two relevant scriptures:

James 5:19-20
[i][b][color=000099]19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.[/color][/b][/i]

and 1Peter 4:8
[i][b][color=000099] And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.[/color][/b][/i]

However, the dilemma is still there because the first quote is to do with warning a fellow Christian who is doing wrong, (which involves correct theology, that God doesn't condone sin); and second the love for one another that probably ignores minor faults and differences.

Mmmm good point, really that question could begin a whole new thread...

And also bring up the "once saved, always saved" question again, for the first quote is distinctly Armenian in tone ;-)

(If you do, I'm not taking part! :roll: )

Blessings

Jeannette

 2007/9/2 15:26









 Re:

Quote:

moe_mac wrote:
Pharisee = correct theology but no love or compassion whatsoever.

moe wrote:
I don't see anywhere in scripture the pharisees had the right theology.

They did seem to have an almost fanatical regard for the Scriptures. Their interpretation differed from the Sadduccees in that they did believe in the resurrection of the dead, and in the spiritual realm in general. Which, I think you will agree, is correct theology from a Christian point of view too?

Acts 23:6-8

[i][color=0000CC] 6¶ But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.
8 [u]For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both[/u].[/color][/i]

Blessings

Jeannette

 2007/9/2 15:35









 Re:

Littlegift wrote:
They did seem to have an almost fanatical regard for the Scriptures. Their interpretation differed from the Sadduccees in that they did believe in the resurrection of the dead, and in the spiritual realm in general. Which, I think you will agree, is correct theology from a Christian point of view too?

God's Word said:
Mark 7:7-9
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
KJV

Matt 15:9-12
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
KJV

Matt 21:23-27
23 And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
24 And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things.
25 The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him?

26 But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet.
27 And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.
KJV


Matt 22:16-22
16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.
17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?
18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?
19 Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny.
20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?
21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.
22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.
KJV

 2007/9/2 18:05









 Re:

Jeanette said,

Quote:
I'm a Biologist, don't forget. I'd be more likely, if it was a real fly, to give you a lecture on what kind of fly it was, and why I know its a fly not any other kind of insect!



Interesting you should mention this... After I prayed this afternoon, a bee landed on my windowsill (no screen, so he was inside). I had been asking the Lord to increase the Fruit of the Spirit in my life like charity, love, compassion, patience, longsuffering, etc...

Anyhow, this bee looked in distress. He was constantly washing his antenna, fluttering his wings, and hitting his abdomen against the window sill. Then he'd rest for a bit and do the whole thing over.

I asked the Lord to help him find his way home. I hope he's safe (and gone) by the time I get home.

Quote:
But John 8 does say that the woman spoke to the other folk in Samaria and many of them believed too; so there isn't much of a parallel with Sodom.



Perhaps Ninevah would be a better analogy?

Quote:
I'm glad that our salvation doesn't depend on absolutely correct theology!...



Which is why I have stated in other threads that we cannot discount the probability of saved Catholics.

Quote:
..."Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins..."

...And also bring up the "once saved, always saved" question again, for the first quote is distinctly Armenian in tone.



Most "doctrines of men", including Calvinism, Armenianism, Lutherism, Catholicism, Charismaticism, etc are products of the same theological error: the founders of these doctrines discern certain spiritual truths, latch onto them, intellectualize or emotionalize them, squeeze as much juice that they can from them, and then base their entire theology on their own idolized versions of truth.

Logic is a flawed system created by a fallen creature to explain a troubled Universe. How then can it explain perfection...?

Now THERE'S another thread... hehe.

 2007/9/3 19:15
poet
Member



Joined: 2007/2/16
Posts: 231
Longview WA

 Re:

corey_H
I feel I should say something about the bee.
this is off topic and we should start a new thread.
I was pondering the bee situation were having here in our world and they are all dying off.
Bee's are a colony creature, and when they come into close contact with each other they are becoming defiled by a parasite.
But there is a mason bee, the name doesnt mean anything to this, but this bee, lives by itself and will not intermingle with a general population of bee's to become defiled, these bee's will live in small caves they bore in wood or in holes in stone. but they do what God intended them to do and thats polinate God's creation, flowers, and usually for fruit farmers.
What I feel the Lord had shown me, everyone can think im nuts but were, alot of us are as christians are becomming defiled by the teaching going on out there and the lack of sound doctrine out there and are slowly dying off as effective fruit bearers.
but the bee (christian) who has kept himself from the general population is staying alive and being effective and bearing fruit for God.
my two cents.
Sorry about this but just couldnt help saying anything.
Read ezekiel 9.
Have a great day and God bless.


_________________
howard

 2007/9/3 20:00Profile









 Re:

poet said

Quote:
But there is a mason bee, the name doesnt mean anything to this, but this bee, lives by itself and will not intermingle with a general population of bee's to become defiled, these bee's will live in small caves they bore in wood or in holes in stone. but they do what God intended them to do and thats polinate God's creation, flowers, and usually for fruit farmers.
What I feel the Lord had shown me, everyone can think im nuts but were, alot of us are as christians are becomming defiled by the teaching going on out there and the lack of sound doctrine out there and are slowly dying off as effective fruit bearers.
but the bee (christian) who has kept himself from the general population is staying alive and being effective and bearing fruit for God.
my two cents.
Sorry about this but just couldnt help saying anything.
Read ezekiel 9.
Have a great day and God bless.



Brother, thanks for your encouraging words, the scripture you cited and your interpretation.

I love how the Lord opened your eyes, and now mine, to profound truths like this!

Thanks again.

 2007/9/3 20:19





©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy