SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I wonder what a sermon from Jesus would sound like today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Santana

I wonder what a sermon from Jesus would sound like today?

If he walked into your Sunday morning service, what would He preach on? What would the title be?
Would He need music at the end?:-P Would there be an altar call?

Basically, how do you think his church service would be?

2007/8/30 18:28Profile

Re: I wonder what a sermon from Jesus would sound like today?

Santana,

I imagine He'd twist together a cat-o-nine-tails made of TV cables and computer mouse cords and rage through every megachurch on the West Coast of the U.S. - starting with the Crystal Cathedral and Saddleback...

Then, once all the people were out, He'd call down fire-breathing angels to set all those churches ablaze...

Then, he'd walk the lower class neighborhoods of the world, among the poor and helpless wage-slaves and real slaves of the world and seek those who will love Him "in spirit and in truth".

He would wear blue jeans and a lumber jacket and His pierced hands might get a little dirty from all the dirty tires he helped change on His travels, the tears He wiped away from dirty faces, and the millions of times He placed His holy hands on the ground in concert with others to teach them submission to the Lord...

He would speak gently to the unsaved sinners and convert many by love.

He would turn His Word, indignation as a firey two-edged sword, on the modern pharisees ("churchian" hypocrites) who made big profits by His word, and performed many signs and wonders, yet failed to bear fruit.

They wouldn't recognize Him, of course, and would hate Him more than the athiests and secularists, when He raises Babylon's religion to the ground...

But I could be wrong.

2007/8/30 18:57
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

I am sure the first words would be: "Repent
and remember your first love." The sermon
would speak about the hunger for the Word
of God, the desire for righteousness and
for God's will to be done here on earth as
it is in heaven. The anointing would surely
convict all who were willing to hear!!

2007/8/30 19:21Profile

Re:

If Jesus came back, He would have to sustain us with His mercy so we wouldn't die. We would be our face with our mouth to the dust! He would come back as the King for battle, wielding His sword of truth! "He wouldn't come to cleanse the temple, He would cleanse the pulpit!"(Ravenhill) He is not coming back the same way as He left. However, if He came today as it was in His time of ministry, would we know Him? Would we be like the Pharisees? Would we follow Him? Would we would be to self righteous because of what we know doctrinally?

i asked myself, if I was living during the time of Christ, would I be apart of the Pharisee's? Would I be open to Christs teaching? I think we can all get prideful in our believes, thinking I am right and you are wrong! Just another thought.

Could thread

2007/8/30 22:01
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

In his own time on Earth, one of the things that Jesus openly attacked was legalism, specifically the legalism that the Pharisees had established which only hindered people rather than leading them to God.

If he were to do the same today, I honestly don't think he'd be overtly concerned about legalism compared to the licentiousness that so many churches have fallen into.

Though in light of his reaction to the markets established in the temple area, can you imagine what he'd do within a contemporary seeker-friendly megachurch? He'd probably do more than drive out the "retailers" and "managers" with just a whip.

2007/8/30 22:12Profile

We already have many sermons from Jesus, they start in Genesis Chapter one and verse one and go all the way through Revelations Chapter 22 and verse 21.

John 8:32
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
KJV
Rev 22:13
13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
KJV
John 1:1-5
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
KJV

John 1:14
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
KJV

edit:Mal 3:6
6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
KJV

2007/8/30 22:15
dohzman

Interesting question

This is indeed an interesting question because many godly men and women seek the Lord out diligently every week to speak that sermon they feel Jesus has instructed them to speak.

But if you're asking what would Jesus preach or speak if He was here in the "flesh". That would depend on the circumstances at the time, his specific location, what outward manifestations the Holy Spirit had prepared for him by what seems to be circumstances or present providence. Who he was addressing.

If it was to the Jew first, service would be like that in the temple, nothing out of order. Then to the redeemed gentile assembly, same here to, nothing out of order. But in both there would be a proclamation of the kingdom of God, as well as a show of the power of that kingdom and a call to discipleship, which usually takes repentance or a turning away from the selfish pursuits we often entangle ourselves in. Altar call? Music? Why not, to say God would not use such things is to limit His ability to use such things in the heart of man. Music and instruments have always played an important part in heaven, why not on earth too. Just my personal opinion though.

2007/8/30 23:06Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Quote:
I imagine He'd twist together a cat-o-nine-tails....

The one thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history - Lennard Ravenhill.
I guess men has not changed much the last 2000 years. Good thread, one of the best in a while imho. :-)

2007/8/31 5:42Profile

Re:

Quote:

Corey_H wrote:
Santana,

I imagine He'd twist together a cat-o-nine-tails made of TV cables and computer mouse cords and rage through every megachurch on the West Coast of the U.S. - starting with the Crystal Cathedral and Saddleback...

Then, once all the people were out, He'd call down fire-breathing angels to set all those churches ablaze...

Then, he'd walk the lower class neighborhoods of the world, among the poor and helpless wage-slaves and real slaves of the world and seek those who will love Him "in spirit and in truth".

He would wear blue jeans and a lumber jacket and His pierced hands might get a little dirty from all the dirty tires he helped change on His travels, the tears He wiped away from dirty faces, and the millions of times He placed His holy hands on the ground in concert with others to teach them submission to the Lord...

He would speak gently to the unsaved sinners and convert many by love.

He would turn His Word, indignation as a firey two-edged sword, on the modern pharisees ("churchian" hypocrites) who made big profits by His word, and performed many signs and wonders, yet failed to bear fruit.

They wouldn't recognize Him, of course, and would hate Him more than the athiests and secularists, when He raises Babylon's religion to the ground...

But I could be wrong.

Some really searching answers here, as someone said, a very good thread.

I think you have covered most aspects, Bro Corey, and very challenging they are - especially that about getting His hands dirty.

Not sure if I agree about the fire breathing angels though - not until His second coming. Remember what He said when James and John wanted to call down fire from heaven becasue the Samaritans rejected Him?

The only thing I have to add is that the modern "Pharisees" are probably more like the [i]original[/i] ones than today's prosperity preachers and religious "fat cats". The latter are more like the Temple authorities (Sadduccees?) when Jesus drove out the hawkers and money changers.

The Pharisees were very correct in their theology (Unlike most modern mega-church leaders) and kept their (mostly true) interpretation of God's Word very rigidly, and condemned those who didn't. They were very very hard against those they perceived as sinners, quick to condemn anyone to hell.

They paid their dues meticulously, gave generously to the poor and prayed long earnest prayers.

They were especially hard on immorality, and wanted to stone the woman caught in adultery (John 8) They also apparently had double standards and bullied the weak and vulnerable, while letting the powerful and influential sinner go free (where was the [i]man[/i] that the woman had been caught in adultery with? Maybe he was a Pharisee, and his pals were trying to hush up his part in the sin!)

Pharisee = correct theology but no love or compassion whatsoever.

Jesus said: [b]"Woe unto you...hypocrites!..."[/b]

That's really scarey!

Jeannette

2007/9/1 4:16

Re:

Jeanette said

Quote:
Not sure if I agree about the fire breathing angels though - not until His second coming. Remember what He said when James and John wanted to call down fire from heaven because the Samaritans rejected Him?

Here we go again! Finding the fly in my ointment! Hehe.

Was that before or after He spoke to the woman at the well? Perhaps she was to Samaria what Lot was to Sodom... the one righteous person by whom the cities were spared (for a time).

Quote:
Pharisee = correct theology but no love or compassion whatsoever.

Which makes one wonder what we call a person who's loving and compassionate but has the wrong theology... Then again, how can love and compassion be the wrong theology...?

2007/9/1 19:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy