Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christ and the Antichrist

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Christ and the Antichrist

This image is by an artist named Lucas Cranach the Elder, and is one of a series of woodcuts his friend Martin Luther - the founder of Protestantism - had him create to visually show the differences between the teachings of Christ and those of Rome. They were purposed for those who could and could not read.

[img]http://www.symphonyofscripture.com/images/articles/catholic-lucas-painting01.gif[/img]

The image depicts Jesus Christ on the left, outer garment removed, kneeling on the ground, and washing the feet of his servants. And on the right, a pompous Pope, dressed in his fine religious apparel, sitting upon a throne, and having his feet kissed by his servants.

Charles Spurgeon once said, “A man who deludes other people, by degrees comes to delude himself. The deluder first makes dupes of others and then becomes a dupe to himself. I should not wonder but what the Pope really believes that he is infallible, and that he ought to be saluted as “his holiness.” It must have taken him a good time to arrive at that eminence of self-deception, but he has got to that, I dare say, by now, and every one who kisses his toe confirms him in his insane idea.” A hardly subtle distinction.

2007/8/30 0:00Profile

Re: Christ and the Antichrist

"He who exalts himself will be abased, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

The Father, in a way, serves us all, by first creating the Universe and us, and upkeeping the whole thing on an instant by instant basis. There is no way we can pay Him back for all the good things (food, warm beds, coffee, water, sunsets, laughing children, favorite pets, etc) and nothing we can give Him can add or subtract from His glory.

He gave creation it's being. We creatures can give nothing back.

He is the unprofitable servant. It's our duty to become like Him.

Thanks Greg.

2007/8/30 0:09

Re: Christ and the Antichrist

Just as you exposed the antichrist and his actions with that picture, we also as christians should do the same, correct. We need to be careful not to wash the antichrist's feet too, right.

2007/8/30 0:19

Re:

moe_mac said

Quote:
We need to be careful not to wash the antichrist's feet too, right.

Jesus washed Judas' feet. He also commanded us to love our enemies.

2007/8/30 0:44

Re:

Quote:

Corey_H wrote:
moe_mac said
Quote:
We need to be careful not to wash the antichrist's feet too, right.

Jesus washed Judas' feet. He also commanded us to love our enemies.

moe wrote:
James 4:7
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
KJV

From a theological standpoint then how would one resist the devil and wash the devils feet at the same time.

2007/8/30 1:26

Re:

Quote:
From a theological standpoint then how would one resist the devil and wash the devils feet at the same time.

Wash a man's feet who's possessed with a demon of lust or alcoholism or drug addiction or a history of familial abuse. Look him in the eyes. Talk to him. Listen. Take him for coffee. Invite him for dinner. Introduce him to your friends, brethren and church. Help him pay off his debts. Laugh with him, cry with him, and introduce him to you Lord, the sole reason for your love and hope...

If the man doesn't run, the devils possessing him will.

Didn't you know?

2007/8/30 1:51

Re:

Quote:

Corey_H wrote:
Quote:

Wash a man's feet who's possessed with a demon of lust or alcoholism or drug addiction or a history of familial abuse. Look him in the eyes. Talk to him. Listen. Take him for coffee. Invite him for dinner. Introduce him to your friends, brethren and church. Help him pay off his debts. Laugh with him, cry with him, and introduce him to you Lord, the sole reason for your love and hope...

If the man doesn't run, the devils possessing him will.

Didn't you know?

moe_mac wrote:
Corey this is the most intellligent thing I have seen you post and it is so true. But I'm not talking about a lost person or a demon possessed person, I'm talking about the antichrist. You may say, well they are one in same and in a sense I guess that would be correct. Anyway good answer on the washing the feet of the lost.

2007/8/30 11:24

Re:

moe_mac said

Quote:
But I'm not talking about a lost person or a demon possessed person, I'm talking about the antichrist. You may say, well they are one in same and in a sense I guess that would be correct.

When you say "antichrist", I assume you mean the "dragon", the "beast", or the "false prophet".

Truth is, the word "antichrist" and "antichrists" only appear in I and II John. It is a very general term that applies to both hypocrites that damage the Church from the inside, and secular forces who attack her from the outside.

None of these are in reference to a single man called "antichrist".

"Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that [i]antichrist[/i] shall come, even now are there many [i]antichrists[/i]; whereby we know that it is the last time." (I JOHN 2:18)

"Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is [i]antichrist[/i], that denieth the Father and the Son." (I JOHN 2:22)

"And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [i]spirit of antichrist[/i], whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world." (I JOHN 4:3)

"For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. [i]This is a deceiver and an antichrist.[/i]" (II JOHN 1:7)

The "son of perdition", however, is a different matter:

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the [i]son of perdition[/i]; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." (II The 2:3)

Maybe.

If we are now the Temple, and the shekina glory now rests in us, who is this "son of perdition" that exalts himself above God?

How did we prove to Satan that we could be "like gods"? By eating the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. We thought we could decide what was best on our own... just like the other son of perdition, Judas:

"While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled." (JOHN 17:12)

2007/8/30 13:29

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy