SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "A Christian will sin every day until we are perfected in heaven"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Funny that someone should quote 1 John so extensively but miss the crux of the first chapter:

[b]8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.[/b]

2007/8/29 10:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
Glad everything is going so great for you. How's your pride?

Krispy

That's pretty immature.

2007/8/29 10:50
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re:

Iansmith, that was not the "crux" of the chapter but the springboard.
Once one has admitted that one has sin, one can be cleansed from all sin. Not just judicially, but actually.
Krispy, how is your pride?

That's all I can contribute. There are a myriad of scriptures that say that one should not sin and has the ability to not sin (and the duty to not sin), and what actions to take if one happens to sin. But there is not ONE scripture in the entire text that says you will sin every day of your life, saved or unsaved.

2007/8/29 10:52Profile

Re: The point of the Gospel

Folks,

The whole point of the Gospel is that it is "Not I, but Christ"

The Father is only pleased with the Son. That's It! Outside of Christ we are enemies of God...every single one of us. In Christ we have Peace with God. Period. He is made unto us....justification, sanctification, redemption, wisdom...etc.

That’s' why Paul's letters are plastered with the term...."in Christ" because that is what matters. To grow in grace does not mean to become more and more sinless, it means to understand and walk in the truth of "Who we are now, in Christ" JESUS CHRIST DEALT WITH SIN ON THE CROSS, ONCE AND FOR ALL! IT IS FINISHED!

He purchased it all for us. He purchased our justification. He purchased our sanctification. He purchased our Glorification. He is our propitiation. All the promises of God are "in Him" yes and amen. IT IS FINISHED. We have an inheritance that Christ left us. His Life! We are now to renew our mind and learn Christ.

This is why I think a call for revival is so ridiculous. Yes, I said ridiculous. As a church we do not even understand the Gospel. What will we teach all these new converts that will get saved? Will we give them more law? Will we put burdens on them that even we cannot bare?

Forget revival! Let's get back into our bibles and study to show ourselves approved. Let's actually learn what our bible says, instead of ripping out a scripture here or there.

As a church, I include myself; we are ignorant of what Christ actually gave His life for!

2007/8/29 11:36
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Quote:
iansmith wrote:
Funny that someone should quote 1 John so extensively but miss the crux of the first chapter

I see a much different crux; not only of the first chapter, but of the whole Bible. Read about the traditional view of 1 John 1:8.

2007/8/29 11:41Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Since the matter was brought up, here is an article on 1 John 1:8 for those more interested:
[url=http://www.stopsinning.net/1_John.htm]http://www.stopsinning.net/1_John.htm[/url]

2007/8/29 11:56Profile

Re:

Nile-

We have talked before on the *sinless perfection* threads. Do you walk in brokneness realizing that even now, with no known sin, that God can (and I pray will) expose things in you as He continually transforms you (things that currently exist in you and are sin because they miss the mark of Gods perfection but you are not aware of)... curious.

In Christ - Jim

2007/8/29 12:10

Re:

Quote:
Krispy, how is your pride?

My pride is very much intact, unfortunately. I find that my pride is the root of every problem I encounter with me. And when I'm doing well, and following the Lord more faithfully than ever... I manage to get prideful about that.

I mark the daylights out of my Bible. I get prideful about that when we're in a group and the passage we're studying is one I have all marked up... I find myself thinking "everyone's gonna think I'm spiritual." So I have started using an unmarked Bible in group situations to avoid that pridefulness... and I find myself feeling pretty proud about conquering that pride.

I'm sure I'm the only one who has this problem... right?

One thing that I wont do is sugar coat myself and try to pretend I am more holy than I really am. (I'm in no way implying anyone here is doing that!!) I've been around the block too many times... I know that I'm not perfect. I hate the struggle, but I'm in good company. I strive to live holy. I strive to get victory over sin... and God has shown me that I have had many more victories than failures... but the fact is, the flesh is still with me.

And someday that flesh will be dead, and I will live as never before.

Krispy

2007/8/29 12:20
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Quote:

jimdied2sin wrote:
Nile-

We have talked before on the *sinless perfection* threads. Do you walk in brokneness realizing that even now, with no known sin, that God can (and I pray will) expose things in you as He continually transforms you (things that currently exist in you and are sin because they miss the mark of Gods perfection but you are not aware of)... curious.

In Christ - Jim

Thanks for the question Jim.

I do believe that God can and will continually expose things in me that are not in accord with His perfect will, His ultimate goal...which is that I be like Christ, not in nature only, but also in stature (Christ GREW in stature - He did not grow in nature).
As for brokenness, the Lord doesn't let me walk otherwise.

In Christ,
Nile

2007/8/29 12:25Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
Yes I have unfortunately. This is not a light matter. Within the past month I have rebelled against God and fallen from Grace. I have since repented and turned back to God. There are many causes for fall like this...my faith is new, I am immature, I lack wisdom, I am surrounded by ungodliness, and I still learning the fundamentals of God. Once my sure foundation is laid, the likelihood of falling away is much much less.

Brother, the only mention of a person falling from grace in the Scripture is when one looks to the law as a means of justification.
Gal 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, [b]whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.[/b]

Brother if you are looking to yourself, and your deeds to justify you before God, you are in danger of casting away Christ and His justifying work for you. If indeed you are doing this, you might as well go back to the Roman Catholic Church. Their teaching is justification by sanctification, or that one needs to work in order to justify themselves before God.

But may I ask you, what work can man possibly offer to God that would be acceptable when even our most spiritual deeds are tainted with the death of our flesh?

If brother you have faith in the crucified and risen Saviour, this faith was a gift to you, and as such you are justified before God by Christ's merits and not your own. Rejoice in this, leap for joy that the One who rightly could have destroyed every single one of us has shown mercy and grace through Christ. Do not trample under foot the Cross of Christ and count it as nothing, for to do so is to negate that work.

As Paul said to the Romans-
Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
Rom 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: [b]that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.[/b]

Notice who is the justifier, not man, but God. He justifies based upon the fact that Christ has been offered in the place of the sinner and has made a propitiation of the wrath due to them.

Blessings to you brother

2007/8/29 12:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy