SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Two Olive Trees, Some Interesting Facts

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Two Olive Trees, Some Interesting Facts

Some food for thought (pun intended).

"Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves? And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth." (ZEC 4:11-14)

"These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth... These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will." (REV 11:4-6)

The Olive Tree:

Pliny the Elder noted that the olive tree is more liable to disease on rich soils, and the oil produced is inferior to the trees growing in rocky ground;

Thrives in calcareous soil, however dry or poor, even in clay (if well drained);

Olive trees prefer calcareous soils, flourishing best on limestone slopes and crags;

In Greece, grafting the cultivated variety onto the wild is common practice;

They tolerate drought well, thanks to their sturdy and extensive root system;

The age of one olive tree in Crete was determined to be 2000 years old by tree ring analysis;

Another olive tree in Croatia has been calculated at 1600 years old - it still produces fruit which is made into top quality olive oil;

Farmers in early times believed the trees would not grow well if planted too far from the sea (Theophrastus gives 300 Stadia, or 55km, as the limit - though modern evidence does not always confirm this, the trees prefer to be closer to the coast);

rarely exceeds 8-15 meters in height;

its trunk is usually gnarled and twisted;

its fruit is thinner-fleshed in wild plants than in cultivated;

Horace said, "As for me, olives, endives, and smooth mallows provide sustenance";

Lord Monboddo said in 1779 that the olive was one of the most perfect foods, preferred by the ancients;

Pliny the Elder spoke of a sacred Greek olive tree that was 1600 years old;

Several olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane are reputed to date back to the time of Jesus;

Some Italian olive trees are believed to date back to Roman times;

Olives, bitter in their natural state, are often subjected to fermentation or cured with lye or brine to make them more palitable;

Can be productive for centuries, so long as they are pruned correctly and regularly;

Grow very slowly;

It's yellow or light greenish-brown wood is hard and finely grained with a darker tint and is valued by woodworkers;

Oleuropein, an antioxident found in olives, is valuable to the human diet;

2007/8/28 20:06
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The Two Olive Trees, Some Interesting Facts

This is interesting stuff. I have a little Bible garden by the side of my house where I have been growing Bible trees for some 5 years or so. I grow them to oberve them and to understand Bible references to them. I have a vine, a fig and an olive. The vine and the fig produce fruit but the olive tree never has. From your notes it appears that I may be being too kind to it. Some kinds of fruit need less water not more; perhaps the same is true in things of the Spirit. Some trees, it appears, thrive in adversity.

2007/8/29 2:01Profile

Re:

philologos said

Quote:
Some trees, it appears, thrive in adversity.

That was my understanding, too. I found it fascinating that they prefer rocky ground, slopes, and crags... but still close enough to the sea to know it's there.

The spiritual implications are astounding, particularly when we consider how Christians seem to thrive under poverty and persecution and rot in wealth and security...

Thanks for your insights, but be nice to your olive tree. Hehe.

2007/8/29 4:55
seanjol

Charleston, SC

Re:

I could be wrong, but I think that they can take up to 20 years to start producing olives. The spiritual application was that our children are like wild olive plants that have to be cultivated for many years to become trees that produce fruit.

I'm stating this from memory so it definately could be a little off. I'm not that old but the memory seems to be showing signs "old timers" :-(

2007/8/29 9:29Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
The spiritual implications are astounding

Agreed, this is really good Corey.

Quote:
Olives, bitter in their natural state, are often subjected to fermentation or cured with lye or brine to make them more palitable;

Can be productive for centuries, so long as they are pruned correctly and regularly;

Grow very slowly;

The verses that come to mind ...

2007/8/29 9:41Profile

Hi Corey,

Great posting!

The thing I noticed in particular, apart from the poor soil (in which many herbs and roses also do well), is the cultivated olive being grafted on to the wild stock.

Because this is neither the picture in the famous Roman chapter, where there is a new rootstock in Christ, nor, in the imagery of the wedding at Cana of Galilee where there is new wine from a fresh source, instead of natural (wild) wine.

2007/8/29 9:44
Logic

[b]Romans 11:17[/b] [color=990000]And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them partake of the root and fatness of the olive tree;[/color]
[b]Romans 11:24 [color=990000]For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree:[/b] how much more shall these, who are the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?[/color]

Quote:
Corey_H wrote:
In Greece, grafting the cultivated variety onto the wild is common practice;

This is why Paul says, "you were...wild by nature...[/b]grafted contrary to nature[/b] into a cultivated olive tree".
The correct way is to graft cultivated to wild, while we were grafted wild to cultivated.

2007/9/1 14:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy