SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Spiritual Gifts "Mercy"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Spiritual Gifts "Mercy"

Posesses a tremendous capacity to love and to discern genuine love when exhibited by others!
Focuses on the spitual and emotional distress of others rather than his or her own distress!
Attracts people who are hurting!
Looks for opportunities to give preferences to others!
Postpones decisions and conflicts except when eliminating great hurts!
Needs deep friendships which exhibit mutual loyality and commitment!
Enjoys a special unity with those who are sensitive to the needs of others!
Possesses an inner joy that can rejoice when others are blessed and weep when others are hurt!
Relies on emotion rather than logic to guide them!
Takes a stand when a cause is right!

2007/8/28 5:42

Re: Spiritual Gifts "Mercy"

Hos 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

Hello Gary - Thank you for posting the gifts mentioned in Romans 12.
The others, have sunk down and are sliding to page 2. Service got one reply. It would be nice if you could put all on one page. There are a few tests out there that one can take, to see toward which gift(s) one leans.
There is also somewhere (?), the particular "down-side" of each gift, but I cannot remember where I have read it.
The gifts are split in such a way -
There are [u]the 7 "Motivational Gifts" [/u] [That particular gift that most motivates a Christian toward what they desire to do for God.] from Romans 12 - [i] prophecy, serving, teaching, exhortation, giving, administration, mercy. [/i]
There are [u]the 9 "Manifestational Gifts" [/u][Those gifts that God chooses to use any Christian in, at any time that He chooses.] from 1 Corth 12 - [i]the word of wisdom; the word of knowledge; faith; the gifts of healing; the working of miracles; prophecy; discerning of spirits; tongues; the interpretation of tongues.[/i]
And then [u]the 5 "Ministerial Gifts"[/u] [The Ministry that some believers are called to.]from Eph. 4 - [i]apostles; prophets; evangelists; pastors and teachers.[/i]
-I believe the confusion comes when we assume that all who can teach are Teachers by Ministry or those who are used in the gift of prophecy, makes them a Prophet. One can be used in the prophetic and not be an Eph 4 "prophet".
One can speak in tongues in prayer or praise and not be used in "the gift of tongues" that needs an interpretation from the Body.
Accordingly, the Manifestational gifts of 1 Corth 12, are [i]not[/i] resident, whereas the others from Romans and Ephesians are resident - so anyone can be randomly used by God to give a prophecy [1 Corth 12 - "severally as He will"]--- and possibly only once in their lifetime. The Lord can use one person in all 9 Manifestational gifts within their lifetime and possibly only once at each. They are "as He wills". One doesn't choose these gifts. It is as He wills and when He wills.
As far as the Motivational and Ministerial Gifts, a person can possess more than one. These [i]are[/i] resident. And every Christian will have at least one Motivational gift - which are the gifts that you have posted, from Romans 12.
I don't know if you have found the "down-side" of these Gifts anywhere, but I found that descriptive warning to each, to be very eye opening. It goes along the line that the Romans 12 gifts can have distinct fleshly weaknesses. The one with Mercy can go beyond God's Holy Justice in their Mercy or as your post above states, get overly emotional.
The Giver can give to the detriment of family needs, the Teacher may become fanatical with accuracy, the Prophet may go legalistic, the exhorter may try to cheer when cheer is not the need of the moment, the server may serve where God has not called him - but the downsides that I have read, go into more detail - this was just an example.
We only seek the gifts and which from Romans 12 that we tend toward, to edify and be of Service in and for The Body and for that reason, it benefits all when we know what our motivational gifting is from Romans 12 and clarifies our purpose.
Thank you again for these postings.

2007/8/29 16:21

Re:

HE_Reigns wrote:
Hos 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

Hello Gary - Thank you for posting the gifts mentioned in Romans 12.
The others, have sunk down and are sliding to page 2. Service got one reply. It would be nice if you could put all on one page. There are a few tests out there that one can take, to see toward which gift(s) one leans.
There is also somewhere (?), the particular "down-side" of each gift, but I cannot remember where I have read it.
The gifts are split in such a way -
There are [u]the 7 "Motivational Gifts" [/u] [That particular gift that most motivates a Christian toward what they desire to do for God.] from Romans 12 - [i] prophecy, serving, teaching, exhortation, giving, administration, mercy. [/i]
There are [u]the 9 "Manifestational Gifts" [/u][Those gifts that God chooses to use any Christian in, at any time that He chooses.] from 1 Corth 12 - [i]the word of wisdom; the word of knowledge; faith; the gifts of healing; the working of miracles; prophecy; discerning of spirits; tongues; the interpretation of tongues.[/i]
And then [u]the 5 "Ministerial Gifts"[/u] [The Ministry that some believers are called to.]from Eph. 4 - [i]apostles; prophets; evangelists; pastors and teachers.[/i]
-I believe the confusion comes when we assume that all who can teach are Teachers by Ministry or those who are used in the gift of prophecy, makes them a Prophet. One can be used in the prophetic and not be an Eph 4 "prophet".
One can speak in tongues in prayer or praise and not be used in "the gift of tongues" that needs an interpretation from the Body.
Accordingly, the Manifestational gifts of 1 Corth 12, are [i]not[/i] resident, whereas the others from Romans and Ephesians are resident - so anyone can be randomly used by God to give a prophecy [1 Corth 12 - "severally as He will"]--- and possibly only once in their lifetime. The Lord can use one person in all 9 Manifestational gifts within their lifetime and possibly only once at each. They are "as He wills". One doesn't choose these gifts. It is as He wills and when He wills.
As far as the Motivational and Ministerial Gifts, a person can possess more than one. These [i]are[/i] resident. And every Christian will have at least one Motivational gift - which are the gifts that you have posted, from Romans 12.
I don't know if you have found the "down-side" of these Gifts anywhere, but I found that descriptive warning to each, to be very eye opening. It goes along the line that the Romans 12 gifts can have distinct fleshly weaknesses. The one with Mercy can go beyond God's Holy Justice in their Mercy or as your post above states, get overly emotional.
The Giver can give to the detriment of family needs, the Teacher may become fanatical with accuracy, the Prophet may go legalistic, the exhorter may try to cheer when cheer is not the need of the moment, the server may serve where God has not called him - but the downsides that I have read, go into more detail - this was just an example.
We only seek the gifts and which from Romans 12 that we tend toward, to edify and be of Service in and for The Body and for that reason, it benefits all when we know what our motivational gifting is from Romans 12 and clarifies our purpose.
Thank you again for these postings.

[color=0000FF]moe_mac wrote:Thanks for your comments. I think all of us would live a pleasing life for the Lord if we camped out on Romans 12:1. I have not posted the gift of tongues yet but I will be adding it a little later. I plan on adding more content to each gift thread, so that's why I did them separate. Maybe should not have. I may have to re: all them back to the front when I update them. I scratched my head in delay, before posting them separate. It might have not been the best way, don't know. As I said in one the threads, our church is in a series on spiritual gifts. I have taken a test, possibly one simular to what you are referring to, a year or so ago. I also have some questions to post for the threads on all spiritual gifts. The last test I took, was a little different from this one, but not much. By the way, if you have taken one of these test. PM me and let me what is your strongest gift and also any information you might have on your computer concerning spiritual gifts. Our intrepretations may be a little different or maybe not. Anyway we both know Jesus is Lord of all though, right. Let me take a guess at your high score on spiritual gifts, Mercy. Let me know how close I got. Thanks for your interest. God Bless moe_mac[/color]

2007/8/29 17:09

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy