Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : The Purpose Driven Craze

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Purpose Driven Craze

Hello,

I'm not sure if there has been any dialogue on The Purpose Driven Books that are so popular today. Just curious to see what people think of the book and if they agree with the model or disagree.

PIJ

2004/5/11 12:22
dougkristen

Re: The Purpose Driven Craze

Berit Kjos has some good thoughts on this book.

Visis:

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/2003/1-purpose.htm

Doug

2004/5/11 12:42Profile
matthew

Re: The Purpose Driven Craze

Truely I haven't ever read the books, but I have a link to a source that I have come to trust.

He has a radio minnistry on KKMS, a Christian radio station out of Minniapolis, MN.

http://www.ttwministries.com/walk/audio.htm

There are several audio clips of commentary of "The purpose driven life"

matthew

2004/5/11 13:06Profile
sdb

tucson

Re: purpose driven

Found a good article at a site called Twin Cities fellowship, don't know how to set up a link but I am sure you can find it on a web search......To me its another "flavor of the day", just another excuse not to seek out the True Word Of God for ourselves and try and fulfill it with "methodology". We will never be able to automate our Faith, oh many try and some sincerely feel that they have succeeded, but what you end up with is a cheap imitation. :-(

2004/5/12 1:04Profile
rookie

Re:

Berit Kjos' thoughts discern the truth about this book. This was the first "Christian book" that I threw away. It felt so good that I went through and canned all the "Christian self help books."

In Christ
Jeff

2004/5/12 11:02Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Think I found the link that Scott referenced, but the link from Matthew is preferable. Beside the audio there is a two part article: http://www.ttwministries.com/walk/articles.htm

Unless it is a extreme coincidence, it appears much of the material from the TCF Ministry was taken from these articles. Interesting they are both based in Minn. Overall a better treatment in my opinion.

But, here is the other:
http://minneapolis.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twincityfellowship.com%2F

2004/5/12 11:09Profile
All2and4Him

Re:

I would have to say that I disagree with the article that Doug referred to. Sometimes people get so utterly caught up in a theology that they forget bible verses. Mainly the verse that Paul says that he becomes all things to all people that he might win some. To appeal to a persons longing for a purpose is doing exactly that. What is the primary principle stressed though? "Its not about you." Its an attempt to move people from their selfish mindsets to christianity. And to play music that reaches out to people IS becoming all things to all people. God would rather have more worshippers for eternity. ALL things, not some things that fit into my euro-american culture box of what is holy or not. Read Psalm 150 and ask yourself if you are supposed to be solemn at all times when one worships. That is not a jewish concept of worship, thats catholic european unremoved influence. And are they really the guides anyway on what is holy or not? I seem to remember a reformation of some sort... And quit judging the music as the problem. The people at your churches instead of enjoying songs that are reverent who dont understand the glory supremacy and holiness of God, just stare blankly out into space when those songs reverent songs are sung. I know better than that because I used to do it! People who dont know Christ will never understand how to worship and they will always interpret it as something it is not. It is the same with contemporary worship. The people who dont know Christ get into the music instead of the worship. That is always going to happen until people quit telling people that refuse to give up everything they have and surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ that they are saved. They dont know God therefore they do not understand worship. Just praying a prayer doesnt get someone into heaven.
Finally there is nothing in scripture about methods being a sin. Rather it says God is not dependant on them.

2004/6/20 12:30Profile
InigoMontoya

Michigan

Re:

With having not yet read any of the mentioned articles linked to in this thread. (I'll read through them later on today if I have time).

I'll just speak from the heart and say that I'm really confused and a bit disturbed with how Rick Warren and these books have swept up the masses.

I know many who swear that those books are what brought them to God, how they "can't" really read the bible and this helped them get to know Christ, etc, which well.. all kind of bring up other questions-concerns for me.

However I know many self-admitted luke worm christians who've gained a thirst for God upon reading them.

So I'm deeply confused. When I first started hearing about the books and all they've done for people. I prayed about it and have felt no desire, almost repulsion towards picking up a copy. Upon starting to hear people who've read it and gained a thirst for God, start quoteing that book more and more, and less and less quoteing the bible... I'm concerened. Also with some of the quotes I'm hearing, as well. I'm still young in my walk with God, but... just don't feel alot of the themes/quotes are well.. biblical. I start thinking of Paris Reidheads Ten Shekels and a Shirt's testimony of the influence of humanism. I start thinking of all the people I consider wolves who've endorsed these books. I start thinking of the versions of the bible used, the out of context scriptual reinforcement being given to back up these quotes.... and I just feel sorrow, but still a bit of confusion.

2004/7/4 11:16Profile
All2and4Him

Re:

Inigo, have to say I love the story you got your name from. Have you read the book?

Heres what I would say about that. Take a look at the pharisees from scripture. The had the truth, the word of God, yet they didnt have it at all. The same will be done with everything that is from God which a person with blind eyes touches . It will get distorted. Just because the blind distort something, does not necessarilly mean it isnt from God. It just means that they are blind. A lot of people follow christianity as a philosophy. The issue is though is their faith is not authentic unless they have completely repented and surrendered their lives to God. They could have had their minds changed by the book, instead of their lives. Thats not a real change. Just like any sermon on repentance does with so many people. How many people really get the message of repentance when it is preached? I would say take a look at the book. Scripture is canon. The means the measuring rod to identify other things that claim to be from God up against. The council that did the canonization of the scriptures put them together as a list of books that beyond a shadow of any doubt were the true words of God. There is nowhere in scripture that it says to only use scripture to improve your walk with God. Scripture is the only thing to turn to that is the only authorative thing to use when learning what God wants from you and how to make it happen. Use it as your measuring rod.

Another thing about the Purpose Driven Life, even if the verses he uses to make his point dont necessarily fit, see if there are other verses that do. Charismatic pastors are notorious for finding verses that dont even work when there are ten that do and make the point clearly. I would say that the principles that the book encourages are all heavenly principles based out of the truths of Gods nature and our relationship with him. Any ones of them I can see I can carefully defend with many scriptures, I havent read through the whole book though, so you might find somewhere where I will not defend him, but we all dont have perfect doctrine, and neither did the church of Corinth until Paul wrote them a letter...

Finally, this will save a lot of confusion...I used to get really confused about peoples lack of love for God and His Word. We cant assume in this day and age that just because people believe in the bible and read it, that they are Christians. Actually never assume just because somebody says they are a Christian that it is the truth, even if they read the bible. There are plenty of unsaved people who love the koran. That means that there will be plenty more unsaved people who love the bible. The evidence of a christian is the changed heart and mind and the resulting love, holiness and and unstoppable hunger to meet God's every wish, and give Him everything he deserves, knowing that He alone is worthy and nothing else comes near how worthy He is. And a bunch of other stuff.

All to and for Him

John

2004/7/6 23:45Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
Another thing about the Purpose Driven Life, even if the verses he uses to make his point dont necessarily fit, see if there are other verses that do. Charismatic pastors are notorious for finding verses that dont even work when there are ten that do and make the point clearly.

I would have to disagree with you about Charismatics taking verses that don't even work unless you are talking about the Word of Faith brand which is better described as Charismania than as Charismatic. Also, Rick Warren and much of the seeker sensitive movement is noncharismatic. Rick Warren, the author of the purpose driven books, is Southern Baptist.

The radio messages that are linked in one of the posts really treat the subject well enough and define the problems with the seeker/sinner friendly movements. They treat the subject fairly and honestly. I have made many cd copies and have been handing them out to pastors in the community.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/7/7 1:04Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy