SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why I didn't tell, what should I be doing?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

Why I didn't tell, what should I be doing?

I was driving around the city where I used to live while working and was thinking back to the many different people I have met through work, in the grocery store and where live. I am ashamed to think that I have not told many people about my faith in Christ.

Why?

Fear of Man, Theology of "predestination" that I don't have to say anything, they will get saved on their own. Not thinking I am holy enough to tell them about Christ, and the list could go on.

What should I be doing? When is "the right time" to share my faith in Christ to others?

I actively share my faith to my children and family, but what about those outside the church and my family? Anyone wrestle with this too?

Grace,
Doug

2004/5/11 11:43Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Why I didn't tell, what should I be doing?

Yep. See the other thread on the 17 year old who just died.

We have some serious business to attend to. I am guilty and ashamed. This has been weighing on me for far to long. Thankfully, no tragically it has to come to this. Oh God help me.

2004/5/11 12:20Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

It can be learned, just like any other skill. Seek and you will find.

We can all find ways we like sharing the gospel. (It's exciting and unnerving to share the gospel, and Satan may attack by bringing fear to your mind, but it's great work). My mom has the boldness to go up to strangers and just start talking about God. She has asked strangers if they have bibles, and she'll go home and bring them one if they are interested. Me, I am comfortable writing letters to people, I have written 10 page letters (labor of love) and bibles to extended unsaved family, to old friends, telling them there is coming a day of Judgment for this fallen creation. God never intended this world to be like this, it was man's choice to sin and thus bringing death that we live in such a fallen creation. Individually, you, me, we have personally sinned against God by lying, stealing, lusting (Jesus calls this adultery), coveting, not putting God first. God is going to punish sin with a fire that never dies. Romans 14:12 says "each of us will give an account of himself to God." Rev 21:8 sums it up quickly "the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters, and all liars- their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur." Then, explain that God sent His son, a perfect, innocent man, Jesus Christ to suffer and take the punishment for our sin: the death penalty. He proved He had power to do what He says, because He has power over death. He proved this by rising from the dead 3 days later. He offers everlasting life if you repent and trust in Him. He took your punishment, in order to partake in His offering, you must give your life, in love and obedience to Him. He is the only way to God, the Creator of all things.

For strangers, I use our postal system or e-mail. I am a real literature-type person, I send bibles to people (especially to Africa), I mail funny, or thought-provoking tracts, often I mail several tracts in an envelope. The best one is a penny pressed with the 10 Commandments with its corresponding card, looks like a religious souvenior, so at least that will get some attention, then I throw in other tracts.

We must also pray for who we share with, and all unsaved because it takes the work and grace of God to bring someone to Him.

This is just a few ideas. You can research and learn how to share your faith.

2004/5/11 15:21Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: pressed pennies

Quote:
The best one is a penny pressed with the 10 Commandments, looks like a religious souvenior, so at least that will get some attention...

I have found these pressed pennies to be good conversation starters. I like to carry one around in my pocket all the time and use it as a door opener to the gospel when possible.

You can get them cheaply from Ray Comforts ministry at the [url=http://www.livingwaters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=238&Category_Code=Tracts]Living Waters Website[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2004/5/11 15:36Profile
shazbot

USA

Re: Why I didn't tell, what should I be doing?

It is much, much harder to share God with my family members than it is to share with an absolute stranger. My father has been somewhat stalwartly against Christianity for some time, mainly because he thinks it to be both irrational and hypocritical. When I, a person he thought a very rational and logic-based thinker (I would still consider myself very much that), became a Christian, it was very hard for him. I have talked to him a few times about it, but I have a feeling he is mostly uncomfortable with it. He was raised a nominal, go-to-church-because-your-parents-go-because-their-parents-went, kind of Christian.

Pray for him. His name is Robert and I will be giving him a modern, easy-to-read, paraphrase/translation of the Bible ("The Message") next time I see him. I don't care if all it does is decorate his shelf. I am out of other options and tired of waiting. This is too important to let slide. I have a feeling that he will accept, eventually, because I cannot stand the thought of being in heaven without him, and God never gives us beyond what we are able to bear.

2004/5/11 17:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy