SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the lake of fire?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Yea, it's quite a stretch to say that the damned will cease to exist. The modern church has sought to make hell more palatable because who in their sin wants to hear about a lake of fire? It's too uncomfortable.

So what you end up with is the thought that hell is sheer darkness, seperated from God. This has been promoted very much by Billy Graham. Well, I dont know about y'all, but I was seperated from God before I was saved. But either way, it doesnt sound near as bad as "everlasting torment".

And now it is in vogue to think that sinners simply cease to exist. Well, I'm glad that no one told me this lie before I was saved because my response would have been "Eat, drink and be merry! For tomorrow we die!". (By the way, this is part of the Seventh Day Adventist heresy. No hell, sinners just die and thats it)

Folks... since Satan lies to us about everything, and since there is no truth in him at all (according to Jesus)... doesnt it stand to reason that he would not want us to know the truth about hell... "where the worm never dies"?

Krispy

Amen, well said, preach on brother. 8-)

2007/8/28 1:35

Re:

Quote:

Ilya wrote:
I got this comment.

Quote:
Well right, but nowhere does it say everlasting torture Ilya. It's "everlasting contempt" and "everlasting punishment." When one is thrown into the lake of fire, there is no coming back. There's not a thing here that says everlasting torture.

Matt 25:46

46 And these shall go away into [u][i][b]everlasting punishment[/b][/i][/u]: but the righteous into life eternal.
KJV

Mark 9:43-48
If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. 45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where

"'their worm does not die,
and the fire is not quenched.'

Luke 16:23-28
23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25 "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

27 "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

[u][i][b]everlasting punishment[/b][/i][/u]

2007/8/28 1:43
Ilya

Re:

I already know what they will say.

Everlasting punishment not punishing.

You can be dead for ever, and it'll be everlasting punishment.

Quote:
Luke 16:23-28
23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25 "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

27 "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

And that's talking about prison. And not the lake of fire.

2007/8/28 2:05Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I know the Jehovah Witnesses hold this doctrine that once you are thrown into the lake of fire you cease to exist and then there are no more torments. Its over no more suffering.

But i think one has to skip a lot of verses or ignore them to hold such a doctrine. Hell is forever. Eternal misery and woes.

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, [b]suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.[/b]

Hebrews 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of[b] eternal judgment[/b]

Matthew 25:46 And these shall go away into [b]everlasting punishment[/b]: but the righteous into life eternal.

2Th 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Th 1:9 [b]Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction[/b] from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

2007/8/28 2:31Profile
Ilya

Re:

Thank you. I too think that the second death will be the separation from God and not ceasing to exist.

2007/8/28 22:21Profile
ZealForTruth

Re: What is the lake of fire?

"Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

This again goes to the Hebraism (through the Greek of the NT, of course) of smoke that rises forever and ever. The smoke of the pit goes up forever and ever, but that doesn't mean the torment does."

2007/8/28 23:39Profile
ZealForTruth

Re:

Just to clarify, the previous post is what they wrote, not something that I was saying (still figuring out how do do the offical quote thing :)

It's funny how they slide past that verse sooo nicely! The verse said "The smoke of their TORMENT ascendeth up forever and ever!" It doesn't simiply say "somebody got tormented for a slit-second and the smoke from that kept on going up and up and up and up!....."

If somebody said, "the dust from the truck tires rose", it means that there were trucks there to make the dust rise. "The smoke of their torment" means that there was somebody getting tormented to have the "smoke of their torment" rise up forever and ever. If the trucks go by and are there no more, guess what? The dust settles!

Boy some people seem to like to skip by the obvious in an effort to keep believing their wrong beliefs.

There was a study on that actually, in which they found that some scientists that did experiments and found evidence that contradicted the popular belief with regards to a certain theory, would almost subconsciously skip over the evidence and look only at evidence that reaffirmed the common theory which was wrong. Seems that happens among christians as well....

2007/9/1 18:22Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy