SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : God has wisely kept us in the dark...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

God has wisely kept us in the dark...

"God has wisely kept us in the dark concerning future events and reserved for himself the knowledge of them, that he may train us up in a dependence upon himself and a continued readiness for every event." ~Matthew Henry

2007/8/24 16:03Profile

Re: God has wisely kept us in the dark...

Amen, Makrothumia
Amen, Matthew Henry

2007/8/24 16:45
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Those who study prophecy and end times would
do well to mind Matthew Henry's words!!
God is sovereign, and He writes destiny
and history!!

2007/8/24 18:34Profile
Rahman

makrothumia ...

As soon as i read your post the following came to my mind ...

In the natural i've never been one to want to sleep just because it was dark , so i guess it's no wonder that the same trait is carried over into the supernatural after salvation in our Lord ...

When i was a little tike i used to never want to go to sleep at night, i'd always want to stay up with my parents and so i'd fight it until i'd fretfully drop off ... My parents said it was because i was afraid i'd miss something ...

When i was around 8, and my family would go on long driving trips, my Dad always drove at night, and while the rest of the family was catching Zzzzzzzz's in the wee hours, i'd stay up all nite with my Dad, asking him a million questions, and he'd answer me a million things that i'd not known before ... As any kid on a long trip (especially in the black of night) i'd ask him, "Dad, are we almost there? ... "Dad, how much further"? ... It was during such times that he gave me an education of how long a mile is by watching the counter, he also taught me to read the road signs in countdown as to how far we were away from our destination, and he taught me to know when we were getting even closer to our destination by looking out for landmarks ... Not only that but one of the best things was that when we'd stop for gas he'd buy me treats that my 2 little brothers wouldn't get because they were conked out, thus it bore out as truth that if i could stay up thru the dark with my Dad i wouldn't miss "something" i'd otherwise not get ... And probably the thing that brought me the most joy is how my Dad used to brag to his friends how he could "depend" on his oldest son to stay up with him all nite and keep him company while he was driving ...

[color=FF0000]In reference to Bible prophecy (which i take it you're refering to), i'm very well aware that the Word says of Christ second coming that "no man knows the day or the hour" and so i don't even bother our Heavenly Father with asking Him about that, but to me asking about everything else is fair game,[/color] especially when He tells us that we're supposed to discern the times, that He's coming back as a thief in the night and that we are supposed to be ever vigilant, walking circumspectly, etc ... Then there are all the scriptures that tell us to call unto Him to find out great and mighty things we knowest not, ask, seek, knock, and then to "diligently seek", being careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God ...

The following scripture (to me) is the perfect example of what's being said here ...

[b]Matt.7[/b]
[7] Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
[8] For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
[9] Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
[10] Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
[11] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

There are two kinds of saints i suppose ... Those like my 2 little brothers who sleep the dark trip away leaving all about the final destination to our all knowing Dad, and those who want to learn all they can along the way in how our all knowing Dad is getting us there... i'm definately of the latter ...

[b]Matt.24[/b]
[3] And as He sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto Him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

i'll never forget how as my younger brothers got older, and were able to stay up later into the night, when they'd ask my Dad the questions i'd already asked him previously and gotten answers to he'd say to me, "Tell your brothers, son" ... And as an even more interesting side note how that prior their learning to stay awake they used to get angry when they woke up to find that i'd had treats they didn't get because they were asleep, and later because i knew things they didn't and was put into a position by my Dad of instructing them ...

[b]Heb.11[/b]
[6] But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.
[7] By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Blessings in our beloved Lord and Savior jesus Christ ...

2007/8/26 10:47Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Rahman,
Actually,in Matthew Henrys'quote, understanding and knowing prophecy was not on my mind.

My heart was mainly encouraged to continue to abide in HIM, even when not all is clear and seen. The daily challenge of living by faith, without feelings or sight.

I do agree with what you are saying...the importance of receiving all that we can learn, as Mary did, sitting at His feet.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled. Thanks for your encouraging words.

2007/8/26 18:53Profile
Rahman

Re:

makrothumia ...

Thanks for your clarification ... :-)

You wrote;
"My heart was mainly encouraged to continue to abide in HIM, even when not all is clear and seen. The daily challenge of living by faith, without feelings or sight."

Aaaaaa-men ... i certainly agree with you!

Blessings in Jesus who will never leave us or forsake us! ... :-D

2007/8/27 10:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy