SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Books I recommend or rather two must-buy!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Books I recommend or rather two must-buy!

You all should get
i. William Gurnall: The Cristian In Complete Armour (hardback edition of Banner of Truth). Its recommended by Ravenhill as well of Wilkerson.

ii. John Owen: Overcoming sin and temptation - three classic works of John Owen (edited by Kelly M. Kapic and Justin Taylor and foreword by John Piper).

With these two works you will get the substantial aid (together with the Holy Spirit) to fight the battles and temptations of sin. It is a must have for every Christian who are in battle against the world, the flesh and the devil.

Magnus :-x

2007/8/24 7:51Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: Books I recommend or rather two must-buy!

For those who may like to look before you buy(not that I doubt they are worthy, I just always look online first!), I have found the books online here: [url=http://www.ccel.org/]Chrisian Classics Ethereal Library[/url]

Look them up by Author...

Thank you for the suggestions Magnus!

2007/8/24 12:50Profile
divdasunder

Ohio

Re: Books I recommend or rather two must-buy!

I second The Christian In Complete Armor recommendation. I haven't read the John Owen book. I do enjoy his writings and they have been helpful to me.
Adam

2007/8/24 12:51Profile
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

You're welcome Melissa! Yes it is a good suggestion to check them out first on ccel.org

However, the book of John Owen is a new and edited (for modern readers) version of his classical works on sin and temptation (and do not exist on ccel.org). To read Owen (which must be pointed out) is quite hard (he has a troublesome language - old and strange, which the editors have made a bit easier for the modern reader).

Sincerely Magnus ;-)

2007/8/24 14:50Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Owen is difficult in parts, but the work is worth it!
This edition is wonderful in that the Latin words have been translated into English, and the archaic language has definitions in the footnotes.

Buy this volume as it is three books in one, and is challenging to say the least.

Excerpts can be read here-
[url=http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Sin-Temptation-John-Owen/dp/1581346492/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0560040-1948608?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187981675&sr=8-1]Overcoming Sin and Temptation[/url]

2007/8/24 14:56Profile
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

Yes! That's the edition Ive got. You all can get it on Amazon.

Thanks,

Magnus :-D

2007/8/24 15:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy