SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is the wearing of paint a sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Peacecraft

USA

Is the wearing of paint a sin?

I recently read a wonderful book by Willaim Law called "The Absolute Unlawfullness of the Stage Entertainment" written in the 1700s as an arguement against the stage or playhouse. It's quite a gem, I wish everyone would read it because it can apply so well to modern day entertainment.

What I find interesting is that in this time in England he says that everyone regards the wearing of paint a wicked sin. He goes on to describe how ridiculous it is that one could consider the wearing of paint worse than the sin of going to and enjoying plays which were filled with all sorts of sin.

Is it because this wearing of paint (make-up) was uncommon in that day and culturally unacceptable for Christians? And is it viewed as okay now because it is culturally accepted and normal? What I would like to know is why was it considered such a wicked sin back then because of it's aspects of vanity and now it is not seen that way (at least to some extent)? Is the wearing of makeup a sin? I'm just curious to see what you all think and what scriptures you can bring to the table.

I find it interesting that at one time it was universally accepted as a sin, and now it is universally accepted as fine (if its tasteful and natural). Maybe make-up back in that day didn't look natural at all...maybe it was connected with prostitution... I don't know.. that's why I'm posting this thread!

Laura

2007/8/24 1:37Profile

Re: Is the wearing of paint a sin?

"And when Jehu was come to Jezreel, [i]Jezebel[/i] heard of it; and she [i]painted her face[/i], and tired her head, and looked out at a window." (II KING 9:30)

"But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger..." (MATT 14:6-8)

"For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adulteress will hunt for the precious life." (PRO 6:26)

"Favor is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised." (PRO 31:30)

"And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her." (ECC 7:26)

"Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts. In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose jewels, The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty." (ISA 3:15-24)

"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH." (REV 17:4-5)

"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price." (I PET 3:1-4)

For a description of what every mother ought to hope for in a daughter in law, see Proverbs 31. I hope there's some still out there...

2007/8/24 3:31

Blessings Laura,

You said

Quote:
I find it interesting that at one time it was universally accepted as a sin, and now it is universally accepted as fine (if its tasteful and natural). Maybe make-up back in that day didn't look natural at all...maybe it was connected with prostitution... I don't know.. that's why I'm posting this thread!

Make up serves one purpose and one purpose only: to make the wearer more attractive. It's purpose is to enhance sexual desire and thus control men. This is the same reason religious folk ought to despise miniskirts, tube tops, and revealing clothing - because they make women feel more powerful than they ought to feel and make men stupider than we ought to be.

Helen had a face that launched a thousand ships. Now, if she were wearing a burka...

The opposite side of the coin are men who drive sports cars or flash money around, etc, to attract the ladies...

As a rule, people who superficially increase their attractivness attract superficial mates. And somewhere along the way, God's wrath kicks in, and when the idols crumble all hell breaks loose.

Makeup, cosmetic surgery, sports cars, and gold cards are, in essence, all lies.

Take it from an ex-bartender.

2007/8/24 3:46
enid

Nottingham, England

Thought provoking question, and one that will get considerable response, either for or against 'paint'.

Corey has given some scriptures already, for which I am grateful, and not just opinion, which is always a downside when having discussions.

Genesis 38v15, 'When Judah saw her, he thought she was a harlot, because she had covered her face'.

This incident is when Tamar plays a harlot in order to have a son, because her father-in-law did not give her Shelah, his son, to become her husband as he had promised.

Her face was covered, and he considered her a harlot.

Was she wearing paint?

Obviously, she was hiding her indentity from her father-in-law.

Could we say that painting the face is also 'covering' the face?

Speculation on my part.

I read this today from the devotional section.

'Many are proud of their apparel. They dress in such fashions, as to make the devil fall in love with them! Painted faces, gaudy attire, naked breasts--what are these, but the banners which sinful pride displays?'

Sounds ugly doesn't it?

What I do ask is, does the wearing of paint consign one to hell? I'm being serious.

If not, does it matter whether it is worn or not?

However, consider this.

Romans 14v21, 'It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine no do ANYTHING by which your brother STUMBLES, or is OFFENDED or is made WEAK'

According to this scripture, if anything causes someone to stumble, be offended, or weakens their faith, we should shun it.

Sorry to be so long. Hope others can also help with this question.

God bless.

2007/8/24 4:30Profile
theopenlife

Re:

I offer the following as advise to the women, to be prayed over.

A worthy question for every woman to ask herself is, [b]"for [i]who[/i] am I wearing this or that?"[/b]

If a woman wears this or that to cover her nakedness and protect the brothren from avoidable lusts, praise God, she serves Him. If she chooses to abstain from this or that in order to protect her sisters from vanity and covetousness, then she again serves God.

The same truth applies to makeup. For who does she wear it, and why? Does she knowingly draw the eyes of men? Does she take pleasure in shallow hopes of preferential treatment and vain respect? Why?

On the other hand there is a certain amount of "acceptability" which the saints are called by God to honor. Though there are exceptions such as John the Baptist and Ezekiel, yet Jesus taught His disciples to observe a degree of normalcy in their appearance. In Matthew 6:16-20 the Lord gave instructions that when we fast we ought to comb our hair, order our clothing, and anoint our faces.

I ask the women to recall the admonition of Paul to Timothy, that they "adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and [b]sobriety[/b]..." 1 Tim 2:9

This word translated [i]sobriety[/i] implies soundness of mind, seriousness; a sense of sobering reality. Observe how this same Greek word is used in Acts 26:25.

"But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and [b]soberness[/b]."

When Paul addressed the royal court, he did so with a grave demeanor suitable to the eternal truth of the gospel. His spiritual presence left little reason to be interested in his physical frame. Likewise, women should dress themselves in ways that draw least attention to themselves, in order that greater emphasis may be directed to the transformed character of a regenerated heart.

In conclusion I write that women must be clothed first with modesty, desiring to promote chastity. Secondly, they should appear normal enough to draw neither negative nor especially positive attention to their physical selves, except within the privacy of marriage. As well, women must have a greater fondness for the true jewels of holiness and righteousness than for the passing trinkets of earth. Finally, they must dress themselves with the sobering truth of the gospel, together with its unspeakable joys and solemn warnings.

As a final note, may I remind my sisters that God did not make food without taste, though it was in His power to do so. Throughout creation He has provided pleasure with nutrition, flavor within function. In the undefiled order of marriage God has granted that the body of the woman is useful for both service and enjoyment. The husband who rejoices in the prayers of his wife delights also in her kisses. She that soils her hands in arduous labor offers them as well for comfort and affection. For the praise of her husband the godly woman clothes herself in humility, and for his pleasure she clothes herself in scarlet.

2007/8/24 5:26Profile

Re:

[b]Phi 4:5[/b] [i]Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.[/i]

I dont think we can take scripture and make a hard and fast rule outlawing women wearing make-up. The Lord saw fit to give me a wife who is as beautiful on the inside as she is the outside. I remember the first time I saw her... and she is more beautiful now than she was then. There are times I wake up in the morning and look over at her angelic face as she sleeps... and I think "Wow... She is way out of my league... what was God thinking?"

She struggled with this issue when she got saved. Some legalists in the Charismatic church she was in told her real Christian women dont wear make-up. And she would agree with Corey that her back ground when we met was clubs. We met in a bar in Myrtle Beach when I was on leave. She worked as a waitress at bar back in her hometown in Georgia. She understands why a lot of women wear tons of make-up.

After studying this issue, however, she came to the conclusion that while God is definately more interested in Christian women adorning themselves on the inside with peace, love, submission, etc... there is no prohibition against adorning the outside as well, so long as the adornment doesnt over shadow the inside.

She is not extravagent when it comes to jewlry or clothing. And she uses a moderate amount of make-up. To be honest, I cant usually tell when she is wearing make-up unless we're going out on a date, and then she will wear lipstick, high heels, etc (while still being modest)... and she does that for me... and it works, brother, believe me!

She is very modest and conservative in her dress when out in public... but probably not as conservative as some. I see some ladies in the fundamental Baptist churches who look like their wearing ankle length feed sacks. If thats what they believe they should be wearing, thats between them and the Lord. I see nothing wrong with my wife dressing pretty, but modest. It is possible!

The wording in scripture concerning adorning the inside clearly is not a complete prohibition against a woman looking womanly. Paul stated in another passage that the man is not to dress as a woman, and take on the characteristics of a woman (effeminate). So clearly God created woman to be, act and look different from a man, and vice versa... and I say amen! lol

But all things in moderation. There is no "thou shalt not wear make-up" in the Bible. Each person must check there heart, and come to an understanding of why they would want to do something. Make sure your inside is prettier than your outside. If things are rotten on the inside, best take care of that before you even think about putting on make-up, because then it is nothing more than a facade.

Krispy

2007/8/24 7:41
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Quote:
The wording in scripture concerning adorning the inside clearly is not a complete prohibition against a woman looking womanly.

Is it not also clear that jewelry and make-up are not what make a woman look womanly?

I can't imagine God creating Eve, and then saying, "Ut-oh! I better give her some jewelry and make-up or she won't look womanly!"

2007/8/24 7:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
Is it not also clear that jewelry and make-up are not what make a woman look womanly?

You missed my point... some Christian women have the mindset that they must make themselves look as un-pretty as they can. I dont believe thats what God intended either.

Scripture makes it quite clear that a number of women in the Bible were very pretty. "Fair" I believe the KJV uses often... a bit of an understatement I think. And in the majority of cases, these were godly women.

A person can be just as superficial trying to look un-attractive as they can looking attractive.

Like men with suits. How many pastors with nice suits condemn those of us who resist getting all dressed up... only to fall from grace because of adultry, or worse?

I think we need to pay much more attention to the heart, and when we do that, some of these other issues will clear up on their own.

Krispy

2007/8/24 7:59

Re:

By the way, I found the reasoning that it is a form of lying to be interesting. I dont think thats the case in most instances, or maybe it is, I dont know... but it did remind me of something I read awhile ago that was condemning the writing and reading of fictional novels. The reasoning was that fiction by definition is a story that is not real... therefore it is not true... therefore it is a lie.

Sometimes I am amazed at what Christians with too much time on their hands can come up with.

I'm [b]not[/b] saying thats what anyone has done on this thread... I am merely commenting on that part of the original post, which was commenting on that author from the 1700's.

Krispy

2007/8/24 8:12
rowdy2

Southern USA

Because I in the flesh am guilty of the law and must not and cannot judge others. All power to judge was given to the only Righteous Son that fulfilled the law and as the only righteous one reconciled me unto Himself. My flesh to is under the curse of the law which is death and my flesh will die, but according to the spirit I have eternal life through faith in Him who justified me by His love on the cross.

Eddie

2007/8/24 8:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy