SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Do you Love Jesus as much as He deserves to be Loved?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Do you Love Jesus as much as He deserves to be Loved?

I was asked this question once by my Pastor. Do you think you love Jesus ask much as HE deserves to be loved. To give an most honest answer I could give I replied, "I don't know if it is possible for any of us to love HIM as much as He deserves to be loved". He ageed He didn't have the love Jesus deserved either.

I do find myself seeking to have a greater devotion and a greater love for HIM and our love for HIM is revealed by our actions to Him by HIS WORD and our ways and in our thoughts and our obedience and prayers and thanksgiving.

I can't imagine ever being able to say that I get anywhere close to the love He deserves to have, in thankgiving, devotion, obedience in HIS purposes that I need to have for HIM. I can say I have the want-to though.

Although I have grown in the Lord, I still yet to have a satisfisfaction with my christian progress in being demonstrated (manifested) in a deserving love for HIM that He is worthy of. I think this could have been what the Apostle Paul was saying in the passage below. And if the Apostle Paul said that, I know where that puts me in my walk.

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, but I press on toward the mark for the prize of the HIGH calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

Is anyone else on SI that is aware they don't love HIM as they should, besides me?

2007/8/21 23:42
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Do you Love Jesus as much as He deserves to be Loved?

John 14v15, 'If you love Me, keep My commandments.

In essence, what Jesus is saying is by obey what He has said shows we love Him.

The more we obey His commandments, the more it shows we love Him.

John 15v10, 'If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love'.

To abide in the love of the Lord Jesus Christ, do we even understand that?

I don't know if I know what that means, but I do think about it.

We will always strive to become what God wants us to be.

Should there come a day when we suppose we have arrived at the place God wants us to be, then we should question our love for God and if arrogance and pride have not set in.

But, yes, I do wonder if I don't love Jesus as I should.

God is so good, and worthy of glory and praise.

God bless.

2007/8/22 7:22Profile

Brother Gary,

I haven't loved Him as much as He deserves. And can I ever comprehend how much He deserves! At times I might have loved Him with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength though--with my all. A pure and sincere devotion to God, finding its expression in a life of perfect submission to His will and power. Despite my shortcomings, however, I will not look back at my failures and backslidings, but now, now, now, I will reach forth to those things which lie ahead, with the Apostle Paul, and love my Lord Jesus. Loving Him, sitting in His lap, pouring myself out like a fragrant perfume upon Him--doing this I can never go wrong; this is pleasing in His sight. For loving HIm is the first and greatest commandment...

Coming short will always be a sobering and humbling thought, brother. But let us not look back and judge ourselves for our insufficiency and past failures, as much as we have truly failed. Instead, let us look unto Jesus--not ourselves--and how much He loved us, and partake of His divine love, in and by which we live. Let us meditate on how great a salvation we have in Him! "In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins" (1 John 4:10). Hallelujah!

Ever grateful,
Slavyan

2007/8/22 10:55

Quote:
Do you Love Jesus as much as He deserves to be Loved?

No!

2007/8/22 14:30

Re:

Quote:

NotMe wrote:
Brother Gary,

I haven't loved Him as much as He deserves. And can I ever comprehend how much He deserves! At times I might have loved Him with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength though--with my all. A pure and sincere devotion to God, finding its expression in a life of perfect submission to His will and power. Despite my shortcomings, however, I will not look back at my failures and backslidings, but now, now, now, I will reach forth to those things which lie ahead, with the Apostle Paul, and love my Lord Jesus. Loving Him, sitting in His lap, pouring myself out like a fragrant perfume upon Him--doing this I can never go wrong; this is pleasing in His sight. For loving HIm is the first and greatest commandment...

Coming short will always be a sobering and humbling thought, brother. But let us not look back and judge ourselves for our insufficiency and past failures, as much as we have truly failed. Instead, let us look unto Jesus--not ourselves--and how much He loved us, and partake of His divine love, in and by which we live. Let us meditate on how great a salvation we have in Him! "In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins" (1 John 4:10). Hallelujah!

Ever grateful,
Slavyan

moe: Amen Notme either, I want to love HIM more. I am not what I want to be but I thank HIM because He lives in me I'm not what I used to be. I am a new creation, I have a new name, speak with a new tongue, and have white robe coming. I think Paul hit on this subject, I don't consider myself to obtained it yet. but forgetting what is behind me I press on toward the mark of the high calling in Christ Jesus. Actually I did that the heart but I will copy and paste to make sure I got it right. Not exactly but close.
Phil 3:13-14
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
KJV

2007/8/30 16:25

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy