SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : (For the Calvinist and the Arminian) Everyone On These Forums Should Give This A Listen.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Many times simply following the flow of a chapter from verse to verse can undo many preconceived ideas about a pet text, and help you get to what is "really" being said.

So true. I like what Spurgeon said concerning why he is a Calvinist.

"I am not a Calvinist by choice, but because I cannot help it."

"I believe nothing merely because Calvin taught it, but because I have found his teaching in the Word of God."

"I believe that very much of current Arminianism is simply ignorance of gospel
doctrine; and if people began to study their Bibles, and to take the Word of God as
they find it, they must inevitably, if believers, rise up to rejoice in the doctrines of
grace."

Edit: grammar check

2007/9/18 19:30
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Abe wrote:

Quote:
(Let us refer to this verse in light of the flow and context of the chapter as a whole)

Rom 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

Romans 9 teaches about the individual and the nation...

Paul wrote as the summary of Israel's fall in Romans 9:

31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. 32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; 33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

So we see that those who resisted the will of God, are those who "sought it not by faith." We know from the testimony of Scripture that most of the nation Israel stumbled because they chose not to live by faith. But we are also given the testimony in Scripture that in each generation there are those who do live by faith. The generations of the remnant goes unbroken...

The OT is full of Scriptures which teach about living by faith. And we know that ALL Scripture is the word of God. So then is Romans 9 really about God condemning those who do not live by faith?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/9/19 0:43Profile

Re:

Any thoughts on White's reasoning?(for those who hae taken the time to listen to it)

2007/9/21 23:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy