Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : True Humility versus Self-Abasement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

True Humility versus Self-Abasement

I wanted to get some advice from the brethren on true humility versus self-abasement (for lack of a better word).

I'm praying for true humility and know that God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. The two great sins for believers in my view are pride and unbelief and almost every sin results from the root of these two sins.

Here's my dilema. Sometimes I think I denigrate myself to the point that's it not really humility but a false sense of pride. I know that "Apart from me(Jesus speaking), you can do nothing" but I want to be rid of all false humility (e.g. you're such a moron, you're so foolish, etc.).

I know the Holy Ghost searches our hearts as we allow Him to do so but could someone point me to scriptures talking about this false humility. I want to be free to serve and worship Him and I feel that there are some things that need to be purged by the fire in my heart.

Thank you for any comments and suggestions you may have.

2004/5/8 10:56Profile
moreofHim

Re: True Humility versus Self-Abasement

Ed,

I've been there before- especially after I've been reading lot of books about humility and denying self. The best thing I have found is to put all the books down for a while and get back my balanced view- the one that the Holy Spirit gives.

It is true we are to develop humility- which isn't going to all come over night- but also we are very special, unique and wonderful to the Lord.

We are a special and peculiar people! :-)

There is a difference between humility and humiliation. Humility is not recognizing that we are just garbage- but that if there is some good in us- that it comes from God alone :) We are valuable to Him but everything (our worth) comes from Him and in turn we offer our worth back to Him.

I also think that humility is seen as a submissiveness, a yieldeness.

"our state of humility is seen, in other words, in how we accept rebukes, correction, criticism"

I think it is hard for most who study this subject to come to a balance at first. It comes with time and the Holy Spirit's leading. I still struggle with it sometimes.

Hope this helps a little.

In Him, Chanin

2004/5/8 11:44Profile
shazbot

USA

I can't give you anything but my opinion on the issue, but here it is, for better or worse:

Humility isn't 'thinking poorly of yourself.' It's 'not thinking of yourself at all.'

Humility is one of those things that, once you think you have it, you probably don't.

At its most perfect state (which none of us will ever reach), humility is giving absolutely zero thought to yourself and always thinking of the good of others.

This obviously doesn't mean that we shouldn't think about bathing, eating, etc. That wouldn't be preferring your neighbor at all, if he had to deal with your body odor as a lack of bathing :)

I hope I've helped.

2004/5/8 12:45Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
I know the Holy Ghost searches our hearts as we allow Him to do so but could someone point me to scriptures talking about this false humility. I want to be free to serve and worship Him and I feel that there are some things that need to be purged by the fire in my heart.

[i]And the men of Ai smote of them about thirty and six men: for they chased them from before the gate even unto Shebarim, and smote them in the going down: wherefore the hearts of the people melted, and became as water. And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the LORD until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads. And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord GOD, wherefore hast thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side Jordan! O Lord, what shall I say, when Israel turneth their backs before their enemies! For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the land shall hear of it, and shall environ us round, and cut off our name from the earth: and what wilt thou do unto thy great name? And the LORD said unto Joshua, Get thee up; wherefore liest thou thus upon thy face?[/i](Joshua 7:5-10)

This passage of Scripture came to mind. I don't really think Joshua was showing false humility here but I think the principle taught here can apply to those times when we tend to denigrate ourselves.

I know sometimes I say those same things like, "you're such a fool" and from this passage above I hear the Lord say, "get thee up!". This is no time for complaint or inactive humility, this is time to take action and correct things. Sometimes something else needs to be done besides prayer and supplication. The Lord then told Joshua;

[i]Up, sanctify the people, and say, Sanctify yourselves against to morrow: for thus saith the LORD God of Israel, There is an accursed thing in the midst of thee, O Israel: thou canst not stand before thine enemies, until ye take away the accursed thing from among you.[/i](Joshua 7:13)

In Christ,

Ron

2004/5/8 12:49Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Thanks for the posts

Thanks so much for sharing,

I went in a music store and looking at some CDs on Thursday and I purchased a CD which had a song that kind of struck me from Caedmon's Call called "I Boast No More." It's really been speaking to my heart this week.

Ron, I think understand what you're saying. False humility will lead to inaction and unbelief. "Lord I'm such a ... and where are you in the midst of this?" Surely this is unbelief.

It's not all clear in my mind and I'm going to take Chanin's advice. Sometimes I just need to be still in the Lord's presence and allow Him to lead me. I sometimes strive in the flesh to make up for lost time and sometimes the Lord rebukes me for that attitude. Longsuffering or patience is one of the fruits of the Spirit, something I need from time to time. :-D

If we don't have a teachable and correctable spirit, surely we're lacking humility. I just pray for guidance from the Word and thank you for the words of encouragement.

Here's the song I referenced earlier.

No More My God, I boast no more
Of all the duties I have done
I quit the hopes I held before,
To trust the merits of Thy Son

No more my God
No more my God
No more my God
I boast no more

Now, for the loss I bear his name,
What was my gain I count my loss
My former pride I call my shame
And nail my glory to His cross

Yes, and I must, I will esteem
All things but loss for Jesus' sake
O may my soul be found in Him
And of His righteousness partake
Amen, amen

The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before Thy throne
But faith can answer Thy demands
By pleading what my Lord has done

After seeing these words, all I can say is Amen.

Ed

2004/5/8 15:34Profile
AniLiDodi

North Carolina

Re:

Hello,

Humility is absolute obedience to all the Lord would ask, no matter what it appears to look like in the eyes of man. Therefore, one that is walking in humility, will often look proud or arrogant in the eyes of those that disagree with what they are doing. Like the Pharisees that would say about Jesus, "Who does He think He is, anyway?" Jesus did only what His Father told Him without question.

False humility is when you are afraid to do what the Lord is asking, due to others thinking you are proud. Therefore, it can appear to look like humility, however it is absolute pride. It is disobedience, due to the fear of the opinions of man.

Those that are childlike, not childish, will go forward boldly doing all that their Abba Father asks, knowing He has their back and it is all about Him. They are not concerned with what others think or say, because they know who they are in the eyes of their Abba Father and have died to the desire to be accepted in the eyes of man or looking for mans approval and are only out to please their Abba.

All For His Glory,
Karen

2004/5/8 18:46Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This is an outstanding thread. Ed, has brought up a often 'swept under the rug' topic here and I am glad he did. It is all good food for thought.

A bit tricky isn't it?

If anyone around here I would likely be a case study in this. Being that I like to poke fun at myself a lot and certainly it's because [i] I am a knucklehead[/i]...see what I mean? But it's a combination of trying not to take everything so seriously, especially myself (and there is a LOT to be taken seriously) and yes, false humility.

There is a fine line somewhere in all this. Tend to think that I feel much like an oddball in that a lot of "Christianese" feels rather, well, false. The opposite would be to be so grandiose that it just looks rather pathetic. Though I do lapse into it both as well. There is an "Well I am just trying to be honest" aspect, but is it [i]real[/i]? Is it necessary?

Seems at times I can come back here and read some things and go, wow, that had to have been the Holy Spirit working and other times where I just shake my head, "You really are a ..."

I don't know if I have really said anything here at all. Just throwing it all out there and looking at it. In the back of my mind I can see where I have known where I am 'pushing it' and tend to leave it as an 'Yeah, but somebody may get a laugh out of it'....Brighten someone's day, hopefully. Thing is, it doesn't really matter what others may think of you in the sense of exalting one another above one another; Intelligent/not so intelligent. Man's opinion.
But can we say we really don't care? Really?
That seems to be another case of false humility.
Do we not all come back to see what others have said to our posts/replies? with even at least a little bit of hope that we did something 'good'?
That we may get just a little bit of praise for ourselves? I would like to say, no, that never happens, all the glory to God. But in reality it just isn't so.

Classic quotes:

Quote:
Humility isn't 'thinking poorly of yourself.' It's 'not thinking of yourself at all.'

Quote:
Humility is one of those things that, once you think you have it, you probably don't.

Oh well, what did you really expect from... :-)

2004/5/9 1:03Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
But can we say we really don't care? Really?

Sometimes I suspect my apathy knows no bounds, regrettably. It may be the darkest thing in my soul.

As for true/false humility... if you get that little twinge of bittersweet vindicative pleasure, that ever-so-slightly burning sensation that sometimes accompanies thoughts of being resigned to one's fate but (at heart) still justifying oneself as the victim... then it's venom from hell, false humility, self-pity, pride.

Describing true humility is a considerably more difficult task for me, perhaps because I have considerably less experience with it.

All good and perfect gifts come from God, and all that is right in me is solely by the grace of God, that I have not the most miniscule ground for boasting.

... and all that is wrong in me is solely my fault :)

May God guide us to and live through us [b]total[/b] obedience, in thought, word, and deed, even in the smallest matters of self-evaluation and proper accounting of responsibility for what we are,
-Keith

2004/5/9 2:43Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
If anyone around here I would likely be a case study in this. Being that I like to poke fun at myself a lot and certainly it's because I am a knucklehead...see what I mean? But it's a combination of trying not to take everything so seriously, especially myself (and there is a LOT to be taken seriously) and yes, false humility.

This is a great thread thanks Ed! Ahem.. Mike! Whether you know it or not the way you handle yourself and show a interest in 'things above' speak very highly of your character. I have not met you but I do feel like we have met and I respect you very much brother. I think I am totally like you, I don't have a bible education, I usually feel I don't have much good to share, and all of that is a false humility. Just so everyone else knows me and Mike are the [b]'foolish'[/b] things of this world and have come to shame the [b]'wise'[/b]! :-P

2004/5/9 10:20Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Came back to see...

Thanks Brother, I am not sure how to respond to that. That last part... Amen! I wonder how successful it has been ? :-D

Truly, the respect is mutual my brother and the kindred spirit that we share has only grown over time. Being that we can just put it out there often times, maybe we could just call it "open heart surgery".

2004/5/9 10:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy