SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : The Ungodly Cost of What Some Call Freedom

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
pastorfrin

The Ungodly Cost of What Some Call Freedom

August 17, 2007
2006 Suicide Rate for Soldiers Sets a Record for the Army
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON, Aug. 16 (AP) — Ninety-nine soldiers killed themselves last year, the highest suicide rate in the Army in 26 years of record-keeping, a new report says.

Nearly a third of the soldiers committed suicide while in Iraq or Afghanistan, according to a report released Thursday, which said 27 deaths were in Iraq and 3 in Afghanistan.

The report said that the 99 confirmed suicides by active-duty soldiers compared with 87 in 2005 and that it was the highest raw number since 102 suicides were reported in 1991, the year of the Persian Gulf War.

Investigations are pending on two other deaths.

Officials reported 948 suicide attempts, but there were no comparisons for previous years.

In the 500,000-member Army, the suicide toll translates to a rate of 17.3 per 100,000, the highest since the Army started counting in 1980, officials said. The rate hit a low of 9.1 per 100,000 in 2001.

Failed personal relationships, legal and financial problems and work stress were motivating factors, the report said. It also found a significant link between suicide attempts and the number of days deployed in Iraq, Afghanistan or nearby countries where troops participate in the war effort.

Officials found no direct tie between suicide and deployments or exposure to combat except in how they affect a soldier’s marriage or other relationships, Col. Elspeth Ritchie, a psychiatry consultant to the Army surgeon general, said in a news conference.

The increases occurred as Army officials worked to establish a number of programs for mental health care and strengthen old ones for a force strained by the Iraq conflict and the global counterterrorism war.

In recent studies, officials found that a system that might have been adequate for peacetime military had been overwhelmed.

Is what man calls freedom worth this? Dumb question, of course it is when it cost you nothing!
What about the souls of all these soldiers and what is being done spiritually for the 948 that attempted suicide?
Put these numbers together and you have well over a thousand, that is over a thousand in one year.
What is wrong with God's people, do we not see or care about those who hurt anymore?
May God help us to see and to minister to their brokeness.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/8/18 18:27Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: The Ungodly Cost of What Some Call Freedom

Quote:
The Ungodly Cost of What Some Call Freedom

Was this the title used by the news source? Just curious.

2007/8/18 19:53Profile

Re: The Ungodly Cost of What Some Call Freedom

.[size=x-small]What is wrong with God's people, do we not see or care about those who hurt anymore? [/size]

moe_mac wrote:
If we were to review the changes in the uniform code of military justice I think we would see many great changes in the last 46 years for the worse. Ask don't tell policy. I don't have to name some of them everyone knows what they are. Many people do not know that military people are not under the constitution as civilians are but the law of uniform code of military justice which years ago I suspect was much different than now.
I can remember one event when I was in boot camp shortly after we arrived for training, the commander said "Sunday morning the catholics will go the church at a certain time and all the Protestants a little later, but all will go". A couple of guys said what, permission to speak sir, granted he said, They said, "Sir what if we are neither and we are atheist?". The commander said, "lads there is no athiest in this man's military. See what I mean, oh how we lost our way WHO made us strong. You think all the changes that the military has made has anything to do with the suicides. I never thought about killing myself, My fears were the boot camp instructors and the enemy afterwards were going to kill me. No doubt at one time our US military was a force to deal with at one time. So what has happened? To many liberals took God out of the equation in everything. They don't realize they haven't taken HIM out of anything but their protection. He is still on the throne. We need some David's us to lead and go after Goliath again.

Jesus spoke these words to a soldier.
[color=CC3300]Matt 8:9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.9 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, "I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel."[/color]

2007/8/18 22:11

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy