SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bodily Discipline

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

Bodily Discipline

Hi Greg and everyone!

I'd like to start a thread on the subject of bodily discipline- things that include laziness (sloth- or lack of exercise), eating in moderation, ect... and how this effects even our spiritual lives and our spiritual discipline.

Is this ok with everyone? I had someone ask me about it and suggested I might post a bit about it, so.......

In Him, Chanin

2004/5/8 10:22Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Bodily Discipline

Quote:
I'd like to start a thread on the subject of bodily discipline- things that include laziness (sloth- or lack of exercise), eating in moderation, ect... and how this effects even our spiritual lives and our spiritual discipline.

hmmm interesting. I work an large amount of hours working on a computer sitting in one chair for hours on end. I am sure after quite along time it can be bad for my body, I do try to work out as much as possible, I lift alot of free weights, love doing bike riding, and basketball. I do think that not working out your physical body can have side-effects on your spiritual body.

2004/5/8 10:42Profile
moreofHim

Re:

You and I are probably not that common as far as Christians being active. There are many christains who are very lazy with their bodies and do not take care of them at all.

You (Greg) also have the privalege of being able to eat whatever you want and and you are young- so there are no ill effects- yet :).

There are many Christians who do not bother to take care of their physical bodies very well- which is not taking care of the "temple" we've been given in this life.

Gluttony is a sin. Slothfullness is a sin.

For many people, being able to not control their eating has major effects on every area of their life. It causes depression and undiscipline in other areas of their life.

You must look at all the rest of the people out there. In the church- obesity has risen to huge numbers. This is not right.

Gluttony is not talked about in the church anymore. Johnathan Edwards, John piper, and many more of the spiritual giants knew the benefit of disciplining the body. I do not mean taking up a huge exercise routine- I am talking about moderation in eating and keeping healthy and not being lazy in our bodies.

Yes, greg, you and I maybe some others are exceptions- but of the majority- there is much that is overlooked in these areas.

Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride,
fullness of food, and abundance of idleness...
Ezekiel 16:49

for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking,
but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17

For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty,
and drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.
Proverbs 23:21

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest when I preach to others,
I myself should become disqualified.
1 Corinthians 9:27

...do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body.
Is not life more important than food and the body more than clothing?
Matthew 6:25

2004/5/8 10:57Profile
shazbot

USA

I think slothfulness is less about avoiding physical work, and more about avoiding any work at all.

For instance, a college student who never works out because he's spending all his time diligently studying both his schoolwork and the Bible, I would not consider slothful or lazy. He's just working out his brain. I think slothfulness is a form of pride, because a slothful person cares more about himself than others, because he does not care that someone else will have to do his work for him. In other words, slothfulness, in my mind, is a mental attitude, not a lifestyle.

2004/5/8 12:51Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
You (Greg) also have the privalege of being able to eat whatever you want and and you are young- so there are no ill effects- yet :).

hehe I think this is one of the best gifts of the Holy Spirit.. joking.. hehe :-P Yea its amazing how I can eat a horse load of food and not gain an inch or even cm for that matter. I have quite a high motabolism and that requires me to eat quite about and quite frequently. Fasting therefore is very hard for me.

Quote:
I think slothfulness is less about avoiding physical work, and more about avoiding any work at all.

I spend countless hours working on this website but many I know consider what I am doing lazyness because im not physically working in some sort of job with benefits at this point in my life. I personally have put more energy and time into this site in the last year more than when I worked for 3 years at University of Toronto. I don't consider myself lazy in doing this, its the most demanding thing I have ever done.

But I think I am guilty at times for working myself so hard even into sickness. I neglect my body sometimes too much and have to take care of it and be more sensitive. I do readily enjoy taking a day off like on sundays to just read and relax away from the computer. The one problem mentally for me is that there is such an large amount of work that can be done and I jump into it full swing not realizing I need to pace myself to complete the work. I would call this over-zealousness rather than foolishness but I do this I need to regard my body more in this work. Thanks Chanin for the rememinder!

2004/5/8 13:43Profile
bigdaveusa

Chanin

2004/5/13 11:39Profile
moreofHim

Re: boily discipline

Dave,

I am so happy for you! I have been wanting to get back with you and let you know that I hope you did not think that you had to eat such a small amount(like what i had on my site as recommended). Guys can eat more than girls, especially tall guys. :)

I hope you are feeling "decreased" and blessed because of it. keep up the good work. God will honor your discipline to keep His temple healthy.

In Him, Chanin

2004/5/13 12:02Profile
dougkristen

Chanin,

This is a great idea!! I think this topic is important, it has been for me too. I have a "lazy" job sitting all day long in front of a computer, but some days I am moving around more often. I have been doing some walking/running combo, but it is the daily discipline that makes a difference, not "once and a while".

I am familiar with a ministry that has an excellent free 60-day Bible Study called THE LORDS TABLE that is very good. Go to www.settingcaptivesfree.com and sign up for this course. This is not a 'diet' but a way to learn to feast on God's word rather then going to food when one is 'hungry'.

I have been a mentor for the Pure Freedom course which is for men and women seeking sexual purity in their lives. I think that SettingCaptivesFree.com ministry is a sponsor of SI.

Grace,
Doug Renz

2004/5/13 12:10Profile
matthew

1 Timothy 4:
8 for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

It seems to me that the verses about subjecting the body are in reference to subjecting our fleshly desires to the will of God. as we are to take every thought captive--how can an action take place where there is not first a thought.

--matthew

2004/5/13 12:48Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy