SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Love Slave

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Love Slave

The Love Slave

[The following lesson was developed from the writings of George D. Watson

God’s work of delivering His people from Egypt for the purpose of taking them into His life of promise provides an overview of His plan of salvation. The wilderness represents an interim period that God uses to prepare His called-out people to fully devote their lives to Him.

God never asks anyone to surrender more than their faith has enabled them to bear. He therefore permitted the people to leave Egypt with some of their old things. But as the fiery trials deepen, they either let go and keep moving forward or they fall away. He does not permit anyone to come into His heavenly Presence until they are fully consecrated to Him.

Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed {in your heart as a new nature}, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. (1 Pet. 4:12-13)

Therefore, “Come out from among them and be separate says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean {anything not wholly devoted to God}, and I will receive you. (2 Cor. 6:17)

Therefore you now have sorrow {as you pass through the wilderness time of testing}; but I will see you again {as an inner manifestation of My divine love - in due time} and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you. (John 16:22)

Every child of God is eventually brought to a point where he is compelled to choose between continuing to live partly for himself or living wholly for God. The Word of the Lord reveals to them how they must deny themselves and lose their flesh-life before they can find His heavenly life. (Matt. 16:24-25) While many start out well, very few finish what was started.

Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away {from the way of the cross}. (Luke 8:13)

This man began to build and was not able to finish… So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.” (Luke 14:30, 33)

Difficult is the way which leads to life {the heavenly Kingdom-life of “righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit”}}, and there are few who find it. (Matt. 7:14)

Jesus established this path of self-sacrifice and now asks His disciples to follow Him. Those who desire to be “pierced” and “marked” as bondservants by His divine life—the mark of the sacrificial Lamb—must give themselves entirely to their loving Master.

Mr. Wesley in his sermon on “the more excellent way,” which was written in his old age after many years of poured out service to his Master, said, “From long experience and observation I am inclined to think that whoever is justified, has then the choice of walking in the higher or lower path. I believe the Holy Spirit at that time sets before him the more excellent way and incites him to walk therein, to choose the narrowest path in the narrow way; to aspire after the heights and depths of holiness—after the entire image of God…”

Many Christians, because they are still so deeply linked to the principles of this world, cannot understand how it is possible to have an enjoyable spiritual life after turning from the self-pleasing ways of this world. They cannot grasp the possibility of having a much more enjoyable spiritual life when they are living for God alone.

Perhaps millions of Christians have come to this jubilee crisis in their walk with God without comprehending what it involves; that is, without estimating the profit and loss of their decision. If they turn away from the Kingdom-life—the Pearl of Great Price—they inevitably begin to lose from that day what they had previously gained. Their spiritual life and gifts begin to fade away. The grace that was once working in their life begins to dry up. They are reduced to poverty in spiritual matters.

“From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.” Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?” But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” (John 6:66-68)

Christ has always had His faithful few in every generation who have consistently counted the cost. They are always pressing forward to know more of Him and the power of His resurrection. They will not accept anything into their life, no matter how innocent it may be, that separates them from Christ’s indwelling Presence. Not because they are afraid of going to hell, not because they want to merely retain the gifts of Christ – but their personal knowledge of Him has made them willing to do anything, to be anything and to suffer anything, that they might continue to be lifted higher and higher into His glorious life in the heavenly realms.

Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them rubbish, that I may gain Christ…that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection… (Phil. 3:8-10)

Everyone is brought to this jubilee crisis where they have an opportunity to have their freedom. And only the few ever choose to become true bondservants in their jubilee year. Truly blessed is the soul that will not dare to trust in itself and choose to “go out free” to live by its own plans. The love slave that God has revealed in the Bible knows that its best interests will be met by abandoning itself forever to the supervision of its Master. And the Word of God assures us that there are many great and wondrous spiritual blessings in store for the soul that dares to enter into the will of its Master.

For the true love slave, all partial measures, all questionings of authority, all mental reservations as to the extent of sacrifice, all spirit of human policy, is forever left behind. They launch upon a boundless sea of service {service that has its source in God}, never knowing the details of the demands that will be made upon them. But trusting completely to the care of their Master, they agree to serve Him without reservation, without specified pay or honor, through thick or thin, throughout time and eternity.

These are the servants of Christ who know what it means to live in the eternal kingdom of God. They ask no higher honor than that of wearing the mark of having their flesh-life pierced in crucifixion, which is the “mark” they have received from their Master through an inward impartation of His life of holy love.

2007/8/17 15:58
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: The Love Slave

Quote:
Christ has always had His faithful few in every generation who have consistently counted the cost. They are always pressing forward to know more of Him and the power of His resurrection. They will not accept anything into their life, no matter how innocent it may be, that separates them from Christ’s indwelling Presence. Not because they are afraid of going to hell, not because they want to merely retain the gifts of Christ – but their personal knowledge of Him has made them willing to do anything, to be anything and to suffer anything, that they might continue to be lifted higher and higher into His glorious life in the heavenly realms.

Quote:
These are the servants of Christ who know what it means to live in the eternal kingdom of God. They ask no higher honor than that of wearing the mark of having their flesh-life pierced in crucifixion, which is the “mark” they have received from their Master through an inward impartation of His life of holy love.

Great article ce4. Thanks.

Danielle

2007/8/17 16:03Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: The Love Slave

There is a Greek word dulos which is
translated bond-servant. A servant
by his own choice, of his own desire
and will out of devotion to His Master,
submission to His Master, and love for
His Master!!