SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : One of God's Great Don'ts

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Julan

One of God's Great Don'ts

"Fret not thyself, it tendeth only to evil doing." Psalm 37:8

Fretting means getting out at elbows mentally or spiritually. It is one thing to say "Fret not," but a very different thing to have such a disposition that you find yourself able not to fret. It sounds so easy to talk about 'resting in the Lord' and 'waiting patiently for Him' until the nest is upset - until we live, as so many are doing, in tumult and anguish, is it possible then to rest in the Lord? If this "don't" does not work there, it will work nowhere. This "don't" must work in days of perplexity as well as in days of peace, or it will never work. And if it will not work in your particular case, it will not work in anyone else's case.
Resting in the Lord does not depend on external circumstances at all, but on your relationship to God Himself.

(Taken from Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest)

2004/5/7 21:03Profile
bigdaveusa

Re: One of God's Great Don'ts

I really needed to hear that.....

2004/5/7 21:49Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I really needed to hear that.....

yea me too also. It really seems that we are in an age or worry and anxiety, everyone seems to be fretting including myself. This goes hand in hand with the access to knowledge on the internet that has been unparraled in history and also the instant communication that is associated with the internet also. One of the biggest factors I would assume is the instant gradification that the internet gives you, I can hardly wait for normal mail these days it seems tedious to me, but thats not right!

Even as I was crossing the road today I saw people crossing when it was red jogging across basically unable to wait at the light for 30-50secs. Even an old lady seemed to be anxious to wait for the light and moved on into the possible peril of getting hit by a car to save precious seconds. I have rebelled and decided to actually wait at lights now no matter if there are cars coming or not. It's quite funny to see peoples reactions thinking what is he doing.

Maybe this is just big city life. When I went to New York city it was also quite fast and furious.

I have been blessed again and again with [b]Psalm 37[/b] its like a drink of cold water on an hot day. Don't fret.

2004/5/7 21:57Profile
Julan

Re:

I know what you mean about mail etc. I used to do so much writing and never
do it anymore.
After reading your message regarding knowledge and people rushing, I was
reminded of the Scripture in Daniel:-

Daniel 12:4 "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even
to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be
increased."

2004/5/9 19:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net