SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Four Spiritual Laws (is it biblical?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The Four Spiritual Laws (is it biblical?)

Approximately 1.5 billion copies of the Four Spiritual Laws have been printed but is this message really the message that is going to impact peoples lifes with the gospel and help them to become 'new creations' in Christ? here is the tract below with my input:

----------

Quote:
Just as there are physical laws that govern the physical universe, so are there spiritual laws which govern your relationship with God.

Quote:
Law 1 - God LOVES you and offers a wonderful PLAN for your life. God's Love "God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:16 NIV). God's Plan [Christ speaking] "I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly" [that it might be full and meaningful] (John 10:10). Why is it that most people are not experiencing the abundant life? Because...

The first statement they try to propose and back w/ the two sciptures seems not to be the point of the gospel: Why is it that most people are not experiencing the abundant life?. Jesus came to die for our sins and save us from Hell! He came to destroy the works of the devil. being in relationship with God can result in a meaningful and fruitful, abundant life but also if you become a Christian you WILL be persucted and suffer for the gospel, thats what the bible says.

Quote:
Man is SINFUL and SEPARATED from God. Therefore, he cannot know and experience God's love and plan for his life. Man Is Sinful "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Man was created to have fellowship with God; but, because of his stubborn self-will, he chose to go his own independent way, and fellowship with God was broken. This self-will, characterized by an attitude of active rebellion or passive indifference, is an evidence of what the Bible calls sin. Man Is Separated "The wages of sin is death" [spiritual separation from God] (Romans 6:23). Heaven and Hell are real destinations and the ultimate choice is ours. "... those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus ... will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord ..." (2 Thessalonians. 1:8,9; NIV)

This is probably the most powerful part of the tract because it shows there IS a heaven and hell. But the point of our life is not to go to heaven but its still to enjoy our abundant life here. Throughout the bible there are lots of cases where the apostles desire to be with Christ in heaven more than live on the earth.

Quote:
Jesus Christ is God's ONLY provision for man's sin. Through Him you can know and experience God's love and plan for your life. He Died in Our Place "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). He Rose From the Dead "Christ died for our sins...He was buried...He was raised on the third day, according to the Scriptures...He appeared to Peter, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred..." (1 Corinthians 15:3-6). He Is the Only Way to God "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me'" (John 14:6).

Quoting the words of the tract: 'He Is the Only Way to God' EXACTLY he isnt just the way for an abundant peace filled, joyful life, but is the way to God!

Quote:
We must individually RECEIVE Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord; then we can know and experience God's love and plan for our lives. We Must Receive Christ "As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name" (John 1:12) We Receive Christ Through Faith "By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast" (Ephesians 2:8,9). When We Receive Christ, We Experience a New Birth (Read John 3:1-8.) We Receive Christ by Personal Invitation [Christ speaking] "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him" (Revelation 3:20). Receiving Christ involves turning to God from self (repentance) and trusting Christ to come into our lives to forgive our sins and to make us what He wants us to be. Just to agree intellectually that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died on the cross for our sins is not enough. Nor is it enough to have an emotional experience. We receive Jesus Christ by faith, as an act of the will.

I think that rev3:20 is misquoted here, it clearly refers to backslidden christians in that it was written to a church! the church of laodicea! 'Christ to come into our lives to forgive our sins and to make us what He wants us to be' NO Christ came to forgive us our sins and to make us a new Creation, to give us his Holy Spirit who is a depost guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possesion. When we accept Christ he becomes our master and his WILL is our will.

I am just wording some of my ideas please feel free to comment and take whatever info you can from it.

2003/7/29 14:55Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re: The Four Spiritual Laws (is it biblical?)

God the Son (The Lord Jesus Christ) came into the world to bring us into a relationship with God.

If any man (or woman) wants to have a relationship with God they must put all their trust in the Lord Jesus Christ alone.

2003/7/30 9:30Profile
gift

Re: The Four Spiritual Laws (is it biblical?)

I am quite sure what was written in the 4 spiritual law (4SL) is biblical.

The gospel is not just about what happen to you when you die, but God also want to give us an abundant life while we live. If gospel is just about the after death lives, then Jesus wouldn't have need to heal, provided needs, Elijah wouldn't have to supply the widow with more than enough food during the famine. Of course christianity isn't a bed a roses, and bible say "all who live a godly lives will suffer persecution". But it also comes with blessing of God, for your studies, work life, family, heal your sickness etc...

The 4SL mainly wrote that God loves us, so that whoever looks at it doesn't feel that our God is a God that onyl Condemn our sins, But He love us first.

True that heaven is a good place. The reason is mainly because we have the presence of God there, while hell is eternity without God. We shouldn't always view lives on earth suffering, that we can only enjoy ourselves when we reach heaven. From the very start, God create heaven as well as earth. God place Adam and Eve here to led an abundant lives, that was the very purpose of God. We are not of the world, but we are still in the world, and God has create many many wonderful, nice things in the world for us to enjoy and to be in awe od Him.

Jesus is the only way to God. He broke the power of death over our lives, He also broke the power of sin over our lives, He broke the power of sickness over our lives, He broke the power of poverty over our lives etc... He does more than providing us a way to reconcile with God, but He provide us with a chance to communicate with God directly, He send us the Holy Spirit to guide us how to led our lives.

Let me say again. Once you receive Christ, your eternal abundant life start NOW! Death is merely a transition period.

True, the will of God should be our will. But a lot of time, God allow us to make our own decision, and a lot of decision doesn't have a right or wrong, and the Holy spirit chose to keep Himself silent of this. Those are the time God want us to make our own decision. God didn't make us to be robot. And God is concern about what we want too.

Actually I don't really understand what you mean by

Quote:
'Christ to come into our lives to forgive our sins and to make us what He wants us to be' NO Christ came to forgive us our sins and to make us a new Creation, to give us his Holy Spirit who is a depost guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possesion. When we accept Christ he becomes our master and his WILL is our will.

2003/7/31 3:12Profile
Eleazarj1

Re:

My friends, I beg you, go to the following site and listen to this sermon:

http://www.livingwaters.com/start.shtml

The sermon is called Hell's Best Kept Secret, and it totally changed my life!! Before I heard the incredible secret that Satan has been hiding from the modern church, I was a standard, lazy, false convert destined to be thrown into the lake of fire! (Rev. 21:8) I know people say this sort of thing about how great sermons are all the time but please don't overlook this!! Listen to Hell's Best Kept Secret and see for yourself whether the 4SL are Biblical or not.

In regards to being happy in the world:
Matthew 19:21
"Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then, come follow me."

No, I am not saying that we should all be dirt poor. What I am saying is that Jesus would not have told this man such a thing if the abundant life He offers has anything at all to do with anything here on earth. If God's idea of abundant life is things, which is what you are arguing, then he would not have told the man that he would literally be perfect if he sold everything he owned. Did Jesus tell him that so that he could resupply Him with a new set of riches here on earth? You don't sell your Lexus that you had before your conversion so that Jesus can give you the new "Jesus Edition" Lexus which will make you more happy than the first one. It doesn't work like that. Jesus offers abundant life in Himself and in knowing Him.

Secondly, Jesus did not die to have a relationship with you. He died to forgive you for the just punishment that you deserve. Then, He asks you to die as well! Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ and no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself up for me." God does NOT want to have fellowship with you. You are a lying thieving, adulterous murderer just like every other person who walked this earth. He wants you to realize your filthiness, accept His sacrifice, and die to yourself wholly and completely. Then and only then, can God take over your life, live it himself, and THEN have fellowship with himself in you. He didn't create us, sustain us, or die for us for our sake, but for His own! He wants all glory for himself, as it should be, and will only let us be a part of it if we will shut up and die to ourselves so that he can live through us.

2003/8/1 0:24Profile
Allen

Kentucky

Re:

Well now,.....let's see.....I'm going to sum it all up in one sentence: "Romans 5:1 Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ," If you'll notice, all of this is past tense. It's a done deal, already happened in the believer's life. Yes! It is true.....God truly loves you. You are completely forgiven, completely justified, completely sanctified, and completely accepted in Christ. Praise God, it's not about me, but it's about HIM completely.

2003/8/5 6:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
You are completely forgiven, completely justified, completely sanctified, and completely accepted in Christ. Praise God, it's not about me, but it's about HIM completely.

I totally agree with you Allen. But what we are trying to get at is the idea of coming to be saved and for what purpose did you think you were being saved for!

Quote:
My friends, I beg you, go to the following site and listen to this sermon: The sermon is called Hell's Best Kept Secret, and it totally changed my life!!

This sermon has also helped me alot with my thinking towards salvation, it was after this sermon that I began to question some of the modern evangelism tatics and doctrines.

[url=http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=434]Listen to "Hells Best Kept Secret" by Ray Comfort[/url]

Ray Comfort's book: God has a Wonderful Plan for Your Life: the myth of the modern message. btw - Leonard Ravenhill said of this book: "A Shattering Publication!" (Here are some awesome quotes from the book:)

"A.W. Pink said: the unsaved are in no condition today for the gospel till the Law be applied to their hearts, for 'by the Law is knowledge of sin.' It is a waste of time to sow seed on ground which has never been ploughed or spaded! To present the vicarious sacrifice of Chirst to those whose dominant passion is to take fill of sin is to give that which is holy to the dogs."

"Martyn Lloyd-Jones said: A gospel which merely says 'Come to Jesus,' and offers Him as a Friend, and offers a marvelous new life, without covincing of sin, is not New Testament evangelism. (The essence of envangelism is to start by preaching the Lawl and it is because the Law has not been preached that we have had so much superficial evangelism.) True evangelism... must always start by preaching the Law."

"After speaking of the many problems plaguing the modern Church, J.I. Packer says these insightful words: This is a complex phenomenon, to which many factors have contributed; but, if we go to the root o fthe matter, we shall find that these perplexities are all ultimately due to our having lost our grip on the biblical gospel. Without realizing it, we have during the past century bartered that gospel for a substitute product which, though it looks similar enough in points of detail, is as a whole a decidedly different thing. Hence our troubles."

"Charles Finney said: Evermore the Law must prepare the way for the gospel. To overlook this in instructing souls is almost certain to result in flase hope, the introduction of a false standard of Christian experience, and to fill the Church with false converts... Time will make this plain."

"False converts are nothing new. George Whitefield said of his day: That is the reason we have so many 'mushroom' converts, because their stony ground is not plowed up; they have not got a conviction of the Lawl they are stony-ground hearers."

"Paris Reidhead said of Charles Finney: Finney wasin Rochester, New York, where a blue-ribbon committee of outstanding citizens was appointed by Henry Ward Beecher to study the converts who, a decade earlier, had come to Christ under Finney's preaching. It was found that [b]eighy-five percent[/b] of those who had made professions of faith under Finney's preaching were still faithfully living for Christ.
In contrast, it is being reported that only [b]one-half of one-percent[/b] of those who make decisions for Christ in our evengelistic meetings today will be living as Christians two years from now. This should give you some idea of how far we've strayed from the Word of God."

2003/8/5 13:22Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"D.L. Moody once said: It is a great mistake to give a man who has not been convicted of sin certain passages that were never meant for him. The Law is what he needs... Do not offer the consolation of the gospel until he sees and knows he is guilty before God. We must give enough of the Law to take away all self-righteousness. I pity the man who preaches only one side of the truth-always the gospel, and never the Law."

"Paris Reidhead said these wonderfully wise words: If I had my way, I would declare a moratorium on public preaching of 'the plan of salvation' in Amercia for one to two years. Then I would call on everyone who has use of the airwaves and the pulpits to preach the holiness of God, the righteousness of God and the Law of God, until sinners would cry out, 'What must we do to be saved?' Then I would take them off in a corner and whisper the gospel to them. Such drastic action is needed because we have gospel-hardened a generation of sinners by telling them how to be saved before they have any understanding why they need to be saved.
Don't use John 3:16. Why? Because you tell a sinner how to be saved before he has realized that he needs to be saved. What you have done is gospel-hardened him."

"Issac Watts, the great hymnwriter said: I never knew but one person in the whole course of my ministry who acknowledged that the first motions of relgion in his own heart arose from a sense of the goodness of God, 'What shall I render to the Lord, who hath dealt bountifully with me?' But I think all besides who have come within my notice have rather been first awakened to fly from the wrath to come by the passion of fear."

"Charles Spurgeon stated: I do not believe that any man can preach the gospel who does not preach the Law."

"George Whitefield said to his hearers: First, then, before you can speak to your hearts, you must be made to see, made to feel, made to weep over, made to bewail, your actual transgressions against the Law of God."

2003/8/5 16:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

General William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, warned that in the twentieth century a gospel would be preached which promised heaven without mentioning hell.

Modern evangelism did just that. Take the time to study closely the contents of today's popular tracts and see the flaws of the fast-folding presentation:
1. No mention of Judgement Day
2. Not a hint of hell.
3. No use of the Law of God to bring the knowledge of personal sin.
4. The gospel is held up as a means of happiness, rather than a means of righteousness

This is a perfect recipe for a false conversion - a stony ground hearer.

2003/8/5 23:22Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: The Four Spiritual Laws

I am addressing the very first post of this thread. I have questions about the effectiveness of using a gospel tract to confront a stranger in the postmodern age, however, I would not say that "The Four Spiritual Laws" are unbiblical.

I have used this tract in the past, and I believe when properly used, it was a very useful tool for evangelism. I do think when it comes to the postmodern generation, a more personal approach such as what some call "friendship evangelism" would be more appropriate. However, I still adapt "The Four Spiritual Laws" for teaching purposes today.

I am not sure if I understood the original post correctly or not, but the poster seemed to have issue with the reference to "abundant life" as a "peace-filled, joyful life" that is all comfort but no suffering.

I have never understood "The Four Spiritual Laws" this way, nor do I think Bill Bright had intended them this way. The abundant life here, as far as I am concerned, is to enjoy in the relationship with God, because God has filled the void in our hearts that only He can satisfy (ref. Augustine). In God, we find the deepest satisfaction and true meaning of life regardless of being wealthy or poor, in comfort or in suffering.

Now, I do think "The Four Spiritual Laws" do appear too simplistic in its teaching at some points (because we are trying to condense the gospel message into a very small pamphlet!). However, that does not therefore nullify its value and its contribution.

I haven't seen any discussion on "The Alpha Course" in the forum. That would be an interesting topic. In Toronto (where I live), I noticed there are more and more churches who are holding Alpha courses.

2003/10/14 10:27Profile
aphill777

Wisconsin

Re:

By definition a law is something that can be violated. The "Four Spiritual Laws" really should be called the four statements of truth or something else. It is NOT a law that "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life". It is a fact!

God bless it however. Most of the time God does things for sinners in spite of what we try to do, not because of what we do!

2003/10/14 15:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy