SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "accepting Christ"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
matthew

"accepting Christ"

Is it biblical to say we have the ability to "accept Jesus?"

Sorry if this has been priviously discussed. Please let me know where if it has been.

2004/5/5 12:13Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: "accepting Christ"

Quote:
Is it biblical to say we have the ability to "accept Jesus?"

Whether or not we have the "ability," as per the Calvinist/Arminian debate? I'm not certain myself.

The question, of whether or not an unregenerate person is able to repent of their sins and have faith in Jesus, seems to come down to presuppositions: Would God command something, and punish disobediance with Hell, if those thus commanded lacked the ability to obey?

As far as I can see (not very far with my limited knowledge and discernment), the differences between a Calvinist and an Arminian (or Finney-ite) stem from the fact that the Arminian assumes that God would not command us to do something we were incapable of doing, whereas the Calvinist makes no such assumption.

I'm not yet sure which one is closest to the truth.

2004/5/5 17:20Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Hi Matthew
this is from the same stable as 'inviting Jesus into your heart' as seen in the lounge forum. It is not really a 'biblical' expression as it stands. 'receiving Christ' is better but even that needs to be defined and distinguished from the way that it is used by most evangelicals. Most evangelicals use it as a short-hand term synonimous with 'decision' but this is not how the concept of 'receiving Christ' is used biblically.

2004/5/5 18:27Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

The unbiblical nature of the phrase came to mind too, though I didn't recall at the time whether it was in the Bible. There's a very similar phrase, using "receive" (the preferable term, as Ron pointed out):

Colossians 2
6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him,
7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

This is the only passage I know of that uses the phrase "receive[d] Christ," though others speak of receiving the word, etc. We should note that in its only occurance it is tied with obedience, "walk ye in Him," so it is reasonable to conclude that anyone not walking in Christ is not right with God, whether or not they claim to have "accepted/received Christ." Many, or so I've perceived, walk in blatant unrepentant sin and claim to be Christian because they've "accepted Christ" or "asked Christ" into their hearts, this clearly clashes with Biblical teaching (1 John 3:6, among many others).

2004/5/5 21:37Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Keith writes This is the only passage I know of that uses the phrase "receive[d] Christ," though others speak of receiving the word, etc. We should note that in its only occurance it is tied with obedience, "walk ye in Him,"

Keith, I think you have put your finger right on the spot here. I think the famous But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, (Joh 1:12 NASB) needs to be seen in this light too. There is a continuing emphasis in John's gospel on 'receiving Christ's testimony or His word' (about 10 occurences); this is the faith/obedience of another thread on here on SermonIndex. It is this personal acceptance of His word to us, initially and subsequently (see your 'as ye have received... so walk') that provides the necessary human basis for God's work of regeneration.

This famous John 1:12 does not say, as many have concluded, that those who 'invite him into their hearts/lives are born again'. It says that those who received Him and his witness were 'authorised to become' which implies that their acceptance of Him and His message put them 'on track' to 'become' His children by new birth; a very different concept to the modern gospel of 'press this button and get this chocolate bar'.

2004/5/6 3:14Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Tozer's Book "That Incredible Christian"

A. W. Tozer wrote a short article on the topic.
[url=http://w3.gorge.net/braveheart/newpage4.htm]What It Means To Accept Christ[/url]

2004/5/6 16:03Profile
moreofHim

Re: accepting Christ

"Sadly, for the past 150 years or more, evangelicalism has developed a theology that offers assurance of salvation to almost anyone who prays a prayer or "makes a decision for Christ", even though he may still be clinging to his rights, holding on to his sin, and bent on running his own life. The scripture does not recognize such a profession as genuine.

Jesus warned, "Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only He who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Matt.7:21)

The person who has never acknowledged Christ's right to rule over His life has no basis for assurance of salvation. He may claim to be a Christian; he may have walked an aisle or prayed the sinners prayer; he may know how to speak "Christianese"; he may be heavily involved in Christian activities; but if he thinks he can have a relationship with God by retaining control over his life and somehow fit Jesus in with everything else, he is deceived and is still at war with God."

Terms of Christian Surrender- Nancy DeMoss

2004/5/6 16:33Profile
inwardman

Well, interestingly enough I just happened to be doing some word studies on what is being taught voraciouly throughout the world as the "plan of salvation", i.e, the accept Christ doctrine. I just don't believe it, I used to, before I actually started reading, and studying the bible for myself,in the original languages, instead of following the recipe, and prescribed prayer method, which doesn't save anyone.
Without defining any words in the original languages of the scripture, how are we supposed to understand it? When most of them don't have the same meaning as our harlot language? Even the word 'the' in greek has probably 24-25 definitions. We have one in English.
John 3:16, as everyone knows says that God loves the world, He gave His Son, whosoever believeth in Him gets to go to Heaven.
But then if you go to John 6:44, it says that no one; oudeis
oo-dice' (not even one man, woman, or thing) that is none, nobody, nothing. not (any, at all, -thing), nought.
can come to Jesus, (except)The Father draw them.
Draw is hel-koo'-o, drag off. It's the same word used in John 21:6. The disiples were not trying to "woo" or invite the fish into the boat, they had to drag them in. Which is the same thing Jesus was saying, no body, and nothing, comes to Him, unless they are DRAGGED in. By The Father. This does not sound like an invitation to me, does it?
And it's not true to say that God loves everyone either. The bible says that He loves those that love (agape) bow to His will. And the true gospel, is way too offensive for people to just accept it. Not to mention that God created vessels of wrath fitted to destruction who will never have eternal life.
The true gospel is the daily cross, except you lose your life, except a corn of wheat die, except ye drink this cup, etc. It is not, by any means the crap that is being taught in the world today.
Nobody can come to God, because we we're all born dead. How can a dead man, choose life? It makes no sense. It made no sense when I was involved in the occult, even though I was raised in a Christian home all my life AND "accepted" Jesus as a little boy, and about 50 times a day, when I was put in the hospital.
It wasn't until God nearly killed me, and humbled me that I finally understood, that accept Christ teaching is not the apostlic doctrine. They taught the daily cross, the same message that has been removed from modern day churchianity.
This is the message that the lost sheep will hear. You are not a goat, and then become a sheep. That is idiocy, goats are goats, their entire lifetime, and never hear God, the sheep do. I was a lost sheep, and so is anyone who will throw away those tracts, and seek the true gospel. Jesus said fear not "little flock" didn't he?

2004/5/20 15:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy