SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Music, Dress, and Movies of the World

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Music, Dress, and Movies of the World

I wrote this in another forum section in a much larger extent. But, I thought I would shorten it to just the first 2 points and post it under doctrine. I want to know what other believe concerning this. It's a matter of Holy Living and Seperation from Worldliness. (Not as merit for salvation, but rather as fruit from Salvation)

2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

1Jn 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

1Jn 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1Jn 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1Jn 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world

This would include the thoughts and ways of the world's hearts...
1. The music of the world, for their words do not praise or glorify Jesus. If they are not singing for Jesus, they are unthankful and unloving to God. We become partakers of their evil deeds when we enjoy listening to their sin. Even the music that doesn't have curse words... If it isn't worship and praise to Jesus, it is sinful. We must flee from this form of idolatry if we shall please the Lord Jesus. Whoever entertains their selves by the world, also loves the world rather than God.

Jas 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

There are many professing Christians who refuse to believe that this applies to the movies and music we watch.

This perhaps shall help you see how the LORD is angered by this sin...

Joh 7:7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

Clearly the world hates Jesus for who he is and what he does. Oh, this is a horrifying sin! ...For a professing Christians to find joy and entertainment from those who hate God.

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

If the CD you listen to or the movie you watch is not a work of faith to please God (by those who made it) then it is sin. We should not find entertainment in sin.

Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

This means when a wicked man eats his meal, he is sinning, how much more when he makes a new CD or produces a new film to please himself.

You are a partaker of the deeds of the wicked, if you find pleasure in this. We ought to be ashamed of their works.

One might ask, "Is it sinful to listen to and find delight in classical music or instrumental music made by ungodly men? "
The clothes I wear have been made by sinful men, and their deed of making these clothes was sinful (In that it wasn't for the glory of God). However, my clothes are not sinful in and of them selves. It is similar with an instrument making noise. It isn't sinful in and of itself. However, if my clothes are sensual, immodest, designed to increase lust in the hearts of women, or of a female appearance (such as girl pants on men)… then it would be sinful for me to wear it and delight in the clothing.

Here are some examples of sinful clothing:
"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God." (Deu 22:5) If a man puts on a woman's garment (such as female jeans, female shirts, and other feminine garments) he is an abomination unto the LORD. Tragically, that is exactly what the trend is among the music scene, the fashion statement in Hollywood, secular music, and even worship leaders along with Christian pop musicians in our day. "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array." (1Ti 2:9)

I see a similar picture with music and what it portrays. If I took pleasure in music that is designed to stir up vain thought, lustful thoughts, foolish thoughts, impure thoughts, hateful thoughts, ungodly thoughts, or anything that glorifies men rather than Jesus… that would be taking pleasure in sin. I know some people say that they listen to secular music just for the instruments and that they don't listen to the words. (I used to say this when I was a false convert… back when I owned 100's of illegally burned secular artists) However, God says, "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners." (1Co 15:33) So if it is an evil communication, it will corrupt good manners. "He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed." (Pro 13:20) Moreover, we are to "…shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness." (2Ti 2:16)

Psa 50:18 When thou sawest a thief, then thou consentedst with him, and hast been partaker with adulterers.
Eph 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
Eph 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

Every CD that you may have that has lyrics... if the words on do not bring glory to God, it needs to be thrown away. Every Christian CD you have... if the people who made it don't sing for God's glory, you need to throw it away. Most Christian rock bands are satanic, because they are self-willed and sing about vanity. Check the lyrics and if it is not obvious that the singer meditates in God's law both day and night, throw it away. If you keep these CDs and continue finding joy and pleasure in them, you are an idolater and idolaters will not inherit the kingdom of heaven. Listen to music that Glorifies God, preached the Word, preached the gospel, and edified you to worship Jesus.

2. The movies of the world, for they are sensual, filled with evil words, foolish jokes, they are meant to please men rather than God, the women dress to seduce men, and the men dress to seduce women. Even the movie that is nice and peaceful... If they don't honor Jesus and preach the gospel, it does not please the Father. This form of entertainment is known as vanity or worthlessness. It's not drawing you closer to the LORD, and we cannot please God if we find joy in vanity.

We are to hate the works of the ungodly. This includes their entertainment.

Psa 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Shall we find entertainment and pleasure in the movies and music of the world?

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Do keep in mind that the film makers, actors, and musicians of the world are going to hell and God's wrath abides on them.

Psa 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day

Psa 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.
Psa 11:6 Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and a horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
Psa 11:7 For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright. .

Psa 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

We should weep over their sin and not be entertained by it. Shouldn't we be grieved over their sin... rather than finding joy in it.

God bless you! -Abraham

2007/8/10 0:04
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re: Music, Dress, and Movies of the World

This may go along with this thread. This is on a "christian" church arts directors personal blog where he talks about how the movie "Knocked Up" is a "great movie".

http://ericseddyfications.typepad.com/erics_eddyfications/2007/06/a_great_movie.html

Unashamedly I felt like crying when I read this. It hurt to see our Lord so misrepresented.
Joe
:cry:

2007/8/10 0:19Profile

Edit Delete

unnecessary information deleted.

Just please pray for the local church and it's shepherds.

God bless you! -Abraham

2007/8/10 2:20
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

I have noticed this trend, it seems that some seek to be the "cool older brother" type for the younger kids.

I pray that we hold close to the book of Titus (and the rest of the bible). I encourage you all to read it (Titus) tonight. Don't worry, it's not that long ;)

2007/8/10 23:44Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10733&forum=34&65]Jonathan Edwards - Undiscerned Spiritual Pride[/url]

2007/8/11 0:20Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

**edit**

I had a question. It has been answered.

Grace & Peace

2007/8/11 0:23Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Great post Mike

This is from Jonathan Edwards -Undiscerned Spiritual Pride

"Proud people tend to speak of other’s sins--the miserable delusion of hypocrites, the deadness of some saints with bitterness, or the opposition to holiness of many believers. Pure Christian humility, however, is silent about the sins of others or speaks of them with grief and pity. The spiritually proud person finds fault with other saints for their lack of progress in grace, while the humble Christian sees so much evil in his own heart, and is so concerned about it, that he is not apt to be very busy with other hearts. He complains most of himself and his own spiritual coldness and readily hopes that most everybody has more love and thankfulness to God than he."

This is why I like brother Poonen's articles and sermons so much.

Thanks for posting that link. I needed to read it...again.

2007/8/11 0:32Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Abraham
you have some very good points, I think there are some root sins in our Churchs. there are many things in this area I feel God putting on my heart.

I think the frist thing if how we veiw sin and our God... Then the love of the world becomes
nothing next to God our King...

But two things we belittle God.. His Holiness..
Holiness of God...

and belittleing of sin.. so many say its just a little sin.. this I see the huge thing every where are a fully missing how much God hates sin..
once we sin that we see the things we love are foolish are worth nothing...

thanks
charlene

2007/8/11 0:48Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

It certainly is a struggle to continually be humbled by God, gorwing pains I suppose. To point out others rebelliousness or sin must be done in the right spirit, with love for the offender and as a warning for those that follow them. It is a good sign when we can express grief and sorrow when confronted with blatant sin, as opposed to simple disgust and scorn.

Don't pray "Lord keep me humble" pray "Lord humble me!"
Love in Christ, Joe

2007/8/11 1:18Profile

Re:

Quote:
by crsschk on 2007/8/10 21:20:38
Jonathan Edwards - Undiscerned Spiritual Pride

So, true... I need to be careful, that I'm not pridefully noticing the sin in others... without going to my closet and weeping for them as I ought to weep for my own sin. Thanks for the exhortation dear brother.

Psa 119:53 Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law.

Psa 119:136 Rivers of waters run down mine eyes, because they keep not thy law.

Psa 119:158 I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved; because they kept not thy word.

God bless you! -Abraham

2007/8/11 12:06

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy