SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Santana

Re:

Jesus

2007/8/8 18:17Profile
Rahman

We've Disconnected from the Power ...

i've posted this before, but in the assembly God has me assigned to the motto is "The Church where the Spirit of the Lord Dwells", and in the Sunday Bulletin it always says "This is the order of service unless Holy Spirit deems otherwise" ... Trouble is He never seems to deem otherwise ...

i think what's lacking, or might i say Who's lacking in most modern churches today is Holy Spirit Himself, which inturn means that His fruit, a holy spirit, is lacking in us ... It's not that He's not there, or even that He's not within us as saints, but His preeminence over our own individual, and collective congregational soulish behaviour, seems to have been replaced by the very things Paul warned us of in the following scripture namely "enticing words of man's wisdom" ...

1Cor.2
[1] And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
[2] For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
[3] And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
[4] And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
[5] That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
[6] Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
[7] But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
[8] Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
[9] But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
[10] But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
[11] For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
[12] Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
[13] Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

i think we've lost sight of who we are, and what we're supposed to be about ... i think it also interesting that Paul said, "For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified", whereas today we got so many articles, books, tapes, CD's, DVD's, etc. on so many so called spiritual formulas, secrets, entertainment gimmicks, and corporate based trickery, it's not only spiritually disatrous, but exhaustion causing to boot ...

One good thing that i'm begining to see tho, especially regarding that hellified most enticing words of man's wisdom - the way to long lived prosperity gospel, is that as our economy shows more strain under our mounting debt, those "enticing words of man's wisdom" in this arena are starting to crack and crumble (reminds me greatly of what God said He'd do to false wall bulders) ... As one young man said to me, "If i hear Bishop say one more time if we do such and such (pertaining to $ of course) God's gonna do this - i think i'll just scream"! ... He's not the only one feeling this way in the fellowship, he's just one that outwardly verbal about it ...

i believe it only a short matter of time before we're brought back to Holy Spirit's rightful preemminence in our lives, and churches, via "preaching" not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in "demonstration of the Spirit and of Power", back to our proper first love and works that we're supposed to have as representatives of our Lord Jesus Christ ! ...

2007/8/8 18:25Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re: What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

Todays church is lacking the pure gospel, because church has become a business, more concerned with numbers, and the bottom line.
Should not be a surprise to the faithful, as scripture warns that this would happen.

Blessings Greg :-o

2007/8/8 18:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: We've Disconnected from the Power ...

Brother,

So why does the church need the Holy Spirit when you have so many CDs, DVDs, self-help books that promise to fix what ails you in your life? Man, you can get a good life: all you have to do is throw money at this and that preacher and buy their lit!:-P

ginnyrose

2007/8/8 18:46Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

I certainly don’t feel able to provide an answer for this question, but as I read each post in this thread I found myself agreeing. It is all those things. But here is a verse that sums it up for me:

Behold, God is great, and we do not know Him
Job 36:26a

Danielle

2007/8/8 18:55Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

I was thinking about this statement of Dr.Tozer:

“If the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the church today, 95 percent of what we do would go on and no one would know the difference. If the Holy Spirit had been withdrawn from the New Testament church, 95 percent of what they did would stop, and everybody would know the difference.”

I found this statement very close to the reality, isn't that frightening? (Have in mind it is said probably 50 years ago, how much more it would be true today)

2007/8/8 18:59Profile
reformer

Re:

Jim Cymbala once said( I can't quote it, but it is in his book: Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire.) He stated about the ones that show up for church on sundays, but the ones that love the lord show up on Wednesday night prayer. He would almost have more turn out to prayer night in the begining than on sundays.

Point is strong fervrent prayer!!!

2007/8/8 23:53Profile
Spitfire

Re:

I think there are two major things that most churches are lacking these days, aside from the true gospel that isn't watered down.

1. People who love God.
2. People who aren't running from suffering and looking for the world's definition of success and happiness.

Of course, my only experience has been within the American church. Love, Dian.

2007/8/9 7:33Profile
ablesd12

Re:

What's really frightening is the denomination that he (A W Tozer was a part of is a sleeping giant now.

2007/8/9 7:49Profile
Compton

Re:

(Edit) My prayers.

MC

2007/8/9 8:35Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy