SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

From reading many post on SI, the general concensus is that much of the modern day church is lacking in something.
What are they lacking and what is the process for change to correct it?

2007/8/8 14:53
LiveforGod

Re: What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

Oh brother.
We are laking unity, passion, cherity, vision to see what is wrong. Our salt pretty much has lost its value. The solution is REVIVAL.

2007/8/8 15:01Profile

Quote:

moe_mac wrote:
From reading many post on SI, the general concensus is that much of the modern day church is lacking in something.

The preeminence of Christ is what is missing.

"And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; [b]that in all things he might have the preeminence[/b]." Col. 1:18

The process of change: surrender to His Lordship.

----

That was my first thought on this matter. :-)

2007/8/8 15:23
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Purity and Prayer.

I work for a group of ministries with 1,400 employed full time... and our weekly prayer meeting consists of around 20 people.

2007/8/8 16:08Profile

Fear of God. I think that pretty much sums up everything.

Krispy

2007/8/8 16:11
John173

Omaha

Re:

The answer to your question is that there are many things lacking in today's church. Today's church is the church of Laodicea. Reading in Revelation 3:14-22

[color=CC0000]"And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,
'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
"So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
"Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked--
"I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
"As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
"To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'"[/color]

We see here that this church is lukewarm. This could also be categorized as a lack of passion. The reason for this follows; They are rich and have need of nothing (at least in their own eyes).

What is lacking is the bold and emphatic teaching of several key scriptures.

First:

[color=000099]1Jo 2:15-17 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.
And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. [/color]

Second:

Mat 16:24-26 (see also Matt 10:38, Mark 8:34, Mark 10:21, and Luke 9:23) [color=000099]Then Jesus said to His disciples,[/color][color=990000]"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
"For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? [/color]

Third, as a group:

[color=000099]2 Corinthians 7:1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the [b]fear of God.[/b]

Ephesians 5:21 submitting to one another in the [b]fear of God.[/b]

Hebrews 12:28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and [b]godly fear.[/b]

1Pe 2:17 Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. [b]Fear God.[/b] Honor the king.

Rev 14:6-7 Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth--to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people--
saying with a loud voice, [b]"Fear God[/b] and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water."[/color]

Fourth:

Too many scriptures to list. The concept of repentance is also lacking in the majority of preaching today.

Fifth:

Jhn 17:3 [color=990000]"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.[/color]

This is one that many people don't think about. Jesus defining eternal life as a relationship with Himself and the Father. When I first prayed the formula salvation prayer, the impression I got was that Christianity boiled down to "getting saved" and then doing my best to live a moral life till I died and went to heaven!

Basically, if it requires sacrifice or confronts our selfish lifestyles, you won't find it in the church. How many times have you heard a preacher dare to tell his congregation that their TV is an idol? He won't because he spends as much time watching it as they do.

Oh, how we need to pray for revival [i]and[/i] reformation!

In His Love,

Doug

2007/8/8 16:16Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

my first thought is prayer. true, humble, passionate, holy prayer. when we have forsaken talking to God on a regular basis, suddenly the world and its desires become very pleasing. when we forsake prayer, we become dead orthodoxy; good doctrine, but dead inside. when we forsake prayer, we will begin to indulge ourselves with the flesh and the things of the flesh. that is what the Lord has been speaking to me personally.

the modern church lacks the unction or annointing of God manifesting himself in an awesome way and that will only happen as God's people humble themselves and pray. it is only the Spirit that can make dead bones live and only by His Spirit will God do it. "not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit says the Lord"

2007/8/8 16:57Profile

Re:

Thanks everyone who has given thoughts from the hearts on this. A good list of things for me to print and pray about and live by.

2007/8/8 17:22
Tears_of_joy

Quote:

I believe it's not about lacking of something, I believe it's wrong foundation in many cases.
It is needed the old foundation to be destroyed and new foundation to build up , that is Jesus Christ and [i]He[/i] in the center, not men's plans and ideas about Him, where the man is on the throne and Jesus is the servant of our selfish needs.

2007/8/8 17:28Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Fear of God. I think that pretty much sums up everything.

I agree. Plus I would say it is idoltry: displacing the Word of God with their own opinion when it conflicts with their wishes.

ginnyrose

2007/8/8 18:13Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy